Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I currently don't have a dog in this fight, having an Iphone 6 but I wonder if people will dump their 6 plus in September when the new 6 plus comes out with a better processor with even better battery performance and stronger aluminum. Also add in 2 GB of Ram. Not sure if Force Touch is a major selling point, but it looks to be a better phone than the current 6 plus. Opinions?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I currently don't have a dog in this fight, having an Iphone 6 but I wonder if people will dump their 6 plus in September when the new 6 plus comes out with a better processor with even better battery performance and stronger aluminum. Also add in 2 GB of Ram. Not sure if Force Touch is a major selling point, but it looks to be a better phone than the current 6 plus. Opinions?

If form factor is the same I'll wait for the 7. If form factor is different I'll have to think about it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, some people will upgrade. Same story for the 6.
I'm in that boat, while I don't typically upgrade my phone every year, I think this year I'll do that. When I say upgrade, I'll have to sell what I have and then buy a 6s outright. I want a smaller form factor.

I was wrong about the 6+ its a great phone but for my needs and wants, its just a bit unwieldy.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

If the 6S Plus is more powerful and performance is better I'll consider getting it and selling my 6Plus. If not I'll likely get the 6S.

I'm pretty sure I'm upgrading either way but we'll see when Apple unveils it in a few months.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I was wrong about the 6+ its a great phone but for my needs and wants, its just a bit unwieldy.

Yeah, that is my current dilemma. I have wants and needs that necessitate a larger screen, while also being a smaller size and more pocket friendly. I think I'll go with the plus, but working out with such a large device (as well as just carrying it) won't be pleasurable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
while also being a smaller size and more pocket friendly.
Pocket friendly is my biggest issues especially as we are now in the summers months. I find myself needing to continually take the phone out of my front pocket because its just too big.

Reactions: nathanalf

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Pocket friendly is my biggest issues especially as we are now in the summers months. I find myself needing to continually take the phone out of my front pocket because its just too big.

Yeah, that's what I worry about. I wish Apple could do what LG has done with the G3 and G4, and put the 5.5" display in as small of a body as possible.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Yeah, that's what I worry about. I wish Apple could do what LG has done with the G3 and G4, and put the 5.5" display in as small of a body as possible.

thats probably what they'll do for the 7 because of a lot of complaint that other phones have the same size screen in a smaller form. i don't see why they kept it the same for the plus. there is some room at the top and bottom they could of moved the grill camera and sensor a little lower and cut some height. same with the bottom above and below the home button . they could of cut a 1mm from the top and bottom at least that would of helped a little

Reactions: bhayes444

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I didn't dump my iPhone 5 in 2013 when the 5s came out. I didn't dump my iPhone 5 in 2014 when the iPhone 6/6+ came out.

I have the 6+ now on a lease. I'm not dumping it for the 6s+ just because.

Incidentally, I still have my iPhone 5.

I don't engage in this buy a new phone every time Apple releases and sell the old phone to pay for it stuff.

Reactions: ABC5S

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

no when I decided to get the pls I decided it was going to be my phone for the next 2 years and I knew it would be more than powerful enough

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
If Apple allows initial pre-order purchases unlocked alongside carrier plans then most likely I will purchase the unlocked and sell my 6 Plus online.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If Apple allows initial pre-order purchases unlocked alongside carrier plans then most likely I will purchase the unlocked and sell my 6 Plus online.

How long did it take them to allow unlocked purchases this past year? Was it launch day only?

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Coming from a 5 I'll definitely go to a 6S. I skipped the 6 since my iPhone 5 was just over a year old at that point since I got it like a month before the 5S was released.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I will be dumping mine. It's part of a family based strategy. I've just given my daughter my iPhone 5s. She does not want nor can she manage a large iPhone. So I'll be selling or trading in via AT&T Next the 6Plus and :rolleyes:getting a 6s. That's the one I'll pay off and keep to pass down to my daughter when I upgrade to likely the 7s. If there's going to be a 7s. At any rate without knowing exactly what Apple will offer in the future the best I can do is guess that there will be a 7 that will be amazing. And that will be followed by a 7S that will be amazing and refined. :rolleyes:

I do think I'm finished with the big Plus sized phones though. My husband will continue down that route. I am not so sure. I am really frustrated that Apple treats the larger phones as premium flagship models and needlessly specs down the smaller phone in some features.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I'll be dumping my Plus. I'll be the first to admit I screwed up by thinking the grass was greener. I have a launch 6 and got caught up in the Plus excitement and had to get one. Have decided that it's too big especially now that the warmer weather is here. So I'll take my lumps and get a 6s and keep it a couple of years. Phones are past the point of being obsolete in a year so waiting for the 7s should not be a big deal even if the 7 is amazing. I doubt it will be head and shoulders amazing but I could be wrong. Either way I've had way too many iPhone's to waste anymore money chasing the latest and greatest.

Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I got a new Mac this year, can't exactly afford a new iPhone when it comes out.

Next year, though, should be a good upgrade.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
How long did it take them to allow unlocked purchases this past year? Was it launch day only?

Unfortunately not, Apple began selling unlocked iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus January 6th this year. I don't expect Apple to repeat, I expect Apple to allow both carrier contract as well as unlocked option on Pre-Order date.

CanadaMaple

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
no when I decided to get the pls I decided it was going to be my phone for the next 2 years and I knew it would be more than powerful enough

That's how I feel too. Keeping my 6+ for the long haul.

Up here in Canada, iPhone's are available unlocked right from the get-go for pre-order.
In store you can buy carrier, or unlocked.

Carrier locked pre-orders are done through the carrier, all Apple online store Pre-orders are unlocked.

I only buy unlocked myself. Maybe if you have a friend/relative in Canada, you could have them order it, ship to you?

-CanadaMaple

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I have a Plus and am slightly disappointed with the performance compared to my 6 I had before. It's by no means a snail but both devices perform a bit worse than my iPhone 5 IMHO. Since I just got the Plus after trading in my 6 about two months ago, I will test the waters and see if going with the S cycle is worth it. More likely than not though I will probably wait for the 7.

Reactions: sunking101

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Wait...you're not implying that the new iPhone will be improved over the current version are you??? The nerve of Apple...!

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I don't engage in this buy a new phone every time Apple releases and sell the old phone to pay for it stuff.

And why not? I've sold every phone from the 3g, 3GS, IP4, IP4S, iP5, and the IP5S. All for $200-$250 more than the phones cost on the upgrade plan ($199-$299). If you truly believe that Apple will sell one phone less during the year if you only upgrade every year and this will save the planet, I can understand that. I don't and as long as the after market will pay these prices for a one year old phone, I'm on board with it.

Reactions: radiologyman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.