Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
Could 3-button mice be standard with all new powermacs?

NO

A 3 button mouse has been the requirement for this product long before Apple aquired it.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Hardware requirements?

Seen the hardware requirements for Final Cut Pro 4? A 350 MHz G4... also AGP required.
Is there a 350 MHz G4 with AGP? Don't think so.
Why not just state: AGP equipped G4 with DVD ROM.

Whatever!

It's looking BRILLIANT! :cool:

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
dvd sp 2 and the compressor really look like the two top features for my uses...

batch compression through something more reliable (assuming) than cleaner would be great....

looking good.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by dricci
NO

A 3 button mouse has been the requirement for this product long before Apple aquired it.

i'm not sure how that answers his question.....

what i'd say is that shake has always required a 3 button mouse, even before this version. so when they released shake for mac earlier, they would've probably made 3 button mouse standard then, if they were going to make such a move

anyone who uses shake or maya or other 3 button requiring apps can certainly deal with buying their own 3 button mouse. and i would guess most would buy their own even if apple gave them one, as they'd want theirs to be whichever one they like best, not all wanting the same one...

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Re: Hardware requirements?

Originally posted by MacsRgr8
A 350 MHz G4... also AGP required.
Is there a 350 MHz G4 with AGP?

Actually there is. When Apple first announced the PowerMac G4 it was 400/450/500, but production problems forced them to revise the lineup to 350/400/450, with the 350 as the Yikes! model (PCI video). Eventually Apple replaced the PCI Video with AGP video, but that was before they upped the PowerMac G4 back to 400/450/500 models.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by G4scott
The UI is not the FCP UI, but it's not the brushed metal interface either. It's like brushed metal, except all grey...

I think I'm looking to this stuff too much, but it's all just so cool, and might give some insight into the future of Apple...

Ick. That UI looks like three steps backward. Hello to Windows 2000. If this is what all the complaining about brushed metal gets us, I wished we'd kept our yaps shut.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by jamilecrire
First people bitch that Apple doesn't announce stuff ahead of time. Then they announce something and people bitch.

Dude, I wasn't bitching. If you had read my post, you would have noticed how excited I am that Apple announced these fine new products. As for my comment about the release dates, I should have elaborated. I'm working on a comprehensive documentary this summer, and it would be great to have all the software by June. Just calm down, dude.

Now, to get back on topic....

Does anyone know what the Maintenence fee for Shake is for? Does Apple have to physically check your equipment to make sure it's running the software properly?

EponymousCow

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Also, I didn't notice firewire 800 support. Did I miss something? [/B]

I supect FW 800 support has more to do with cameras that use FW 800 than anything else. I don't think the FW SDK interface gives any clue what speed it is operating at. That is for the host controller to handle.

So for FCP to support a FW800 camera would only require a driver for the camera. FCP wouldn't need to know anything about the speed of the bus.

Are there any cameras out there with FW800?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Thanks iGav.

Also, I didn't notice firewire 800 support. Did I miss something?

But a Apple 3 button mouse would be cool wouldn't it!! :D

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Has anybody noticed that in some of the tour movies, the menu bar is not at the top of the desktop. It kinda floats over the desktop... Maybe a new feature of 10.3? Interesting...

Great find, I'm surprised nobody's commented on it yet.

Honestly, I don't know. However, remember the floating dock items? This wouldn't surprise me one bit.

liloconf

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2002
wow seems everyone missed this....

Has anyone else thought it odd that dsp 2 isn't comming out till august? Maybe becuase they want to include it in Ilife when they start selling 970's? :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
At a Final Cut Pro seminar I attended, Apple techies recommended that anyone serious about using FCP get a third-party multi-button mouse. I think that Apple has not seemed interested in pushing their own multi-button mouse because it would go against their "simplicity" goals. I think they'd rather let those who crave convenience over simplicity upgrade mice on their own.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Re: wow seems everyone missed this....

Originally posted by liloconf
Has anyone else thought it odd that dsp 2 isn't comming out till august? Maybe becuase they want to include it in Ilife when they start selling 970's? :)

DVD Studio Pro is a professional App. iDVD is already included with iLife so I doubt they'd at a 500 dollar app. to a consumer oriented bundle. I thought that maybe they'll have great new hardware with some awsome hardware based dvd encoding in August to use with DSP 2. Ugh, can't wait to find out. I feel like I'm wishing my life away...aways wishing it were the future.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Has anybody noticed that in some of the tour movies, the menu bar is not at the top of the desktop. It kinda floats over the desktop... Maybe a new feature of 10.3? Interesting...

But you'll notice that the Finder icons don't go outside of the area implied by the menu bar either, so I'm inclined to think that they just used FCP to expand the background out for their movies. Probably an asthetic decision.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Academic pricing (school/teacher/student):

$150/$250/$250 Final Cut Express ($300 non-academic)

$300/$300/$300 Final Cut Pro 3 Academic ($1000 non-academic)

----/$400/$400 Final Cut Pro 4.0 Upgrade ($400 non-academic)

$300/$500/$500 Final Cut Pro 4.0 Academic ($1000 non-academic)

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Re: Hardware requirements?

Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Seen the hardware requirements for Final Cut Pro 4? A 350 MHz G4... also AGP required.
Is there a 350 MHz G4 with AGP? Don't think so.
Why not just state: AGP equipped G4 with DVD ROM.

Whatever!

It's looking BRILLIANT! :cool:
Actually the first gen of Sawtooth G4 had AGP and a 350 G4. I know, cause it was my first G4!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Rincewind42
But you'll notice that the Finder icons don't go outside of the area implied by the menu bar either, so I'm inclined to think that they just used FCP to expand the background out for their movies. Probably an asthetic decision.

You are probably right about that, but did you notice that the Apple from the Apple Menu is grey/silver in the DVD Studio Pro screenshot?

http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/newversion/

Welcome back themes??? Maybe.

P.S. I don't know how to include a picture in this post, so the link is the best I can do.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Freg3000
You are probably right about that, but did you notice that the Apple from the Apple Menu is grey/silver in the DVD Studio Pro screenshot?

http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/newversion/

Welcome back themes??? Maybe.

P.S. I don't know how to include a picture in this post, so the link is the best I can do.

you can already change the color from aqua from graphite........ i think that's all that is....

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
you can already change the color from aqua from graphite........ i think that's all that is....

Really, I didn't know you could do that. Can you tell me how; a blue aqua apple gets old after a few months.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
Really, I didn't know you could do that. Can you tell me how; a blue aqua apple gets old after a few months.
go to system prefs, then click on general.

iJon

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Re: FINALLY, reasonable DVD Studio Pro pricing

Originally posted by siberian
Apple basically screwed those of us who use non superdrive equipped and non-superdrive capable machines by overpricing DVD Studio Pro for hobbiests and making iDVD unavailable to anyone who didn't buy a new machine.

This price reduction finally brings the promise of the DV revolution to _all_ mac users.

Hallelujah! Thanks Steve!

yeah, but apple has still got to learn currency cenversion in europe. they actually ask for 1799.- Swiss Francs CHF for DVDSP 2!! But with the current currency exchange this makes 678.65 CHF (499$ * 1.36$/CHF).

For that pricetag i can fly firstclass to new york and buy that thing overseas!! come on!:mad: :confused:

btw. i love DVDSP ... that's why i'm so disappointed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.