Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: Re: FINALLY, reasonable DVD Studio Pro pricing

Originally posted by evanmarx
yeah, but apple has still got to learn currency cenversion in europe. they actually ask for 1799.- Swiss Francs CHF for DVDSP 2!! But with the current currency exchange this makes 678.65 CHF (499$ * 1.36$/CHF).

For that pricetag i can fly firstclass to new york and buy that thing overseas!! come on!:mad: :confused:

btw. i love DVDSP ... that's why i'm so disappointed

The price has dramatically changed from 1.5 to Version 2. I think this is the reason. Wait for the thing being available for order in switzerland and you will most probably see a REAL price reduction.

Edit: Same here in germany: Old price tag for DVD Studio 1.5: 1,330 Euro (!!!)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: Hardware requirements?

Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Seen the hardware requirements for Final Cut Pro 4? A 350 MHz G4... also AGP required.
Is there a 350 MHz G4 with AGP? Don't think so.
Why not just state: AGP equipped G4 with DVD ROM.

Whatever!

It's looking BRILLIANT! :cool:

my 350 G4 has agp.... it's arn's old one

i wish people would stop spouting off misinformation. go look at apple tech documents before posting!

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
I'm surprised no one else has found this yet.

Under the Apple Software section in the online store:

Final Cut Pro 4.0 Upgrade from Final Cut Express
$699.00

Did they have this kind of deal before? It's good to know that if Express makes you curious enough, you aren't out $300 when you buy the full version.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by Rincewind42
But you'll notice that the Finder icons don't go outside of the area implied by the menu bar either, so I'm inclined to think that they just used FCP to expand the background out for their movies. Probably an asthetic decision.

I noticed that too, but the desktop picture goes outside it.

I just found something that's totally killer in Soundtrack. You can get all the loops inlcluded, or ad your own, but they all sync together automatically. They match the BPM, can change the key, or do whatever you need them to do. You can get different loops from different instruments in different keys, put them together, choose a tempo, and bam! It works. You can change the tempo and keep the pitch the same. It's all easy to use, and works beautifully.

I want FCP4, and I don't even have a camera :D

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
UI Changes?

I realise that FCP has always had a very custom look to it (ie not standard OSX widgets), but I do notice some changes in the screenshots we can see that just _might_ be pointing to wider scale changes to Aqua.

To be hoonest, I would welcome these changes.. things are tighter, buttons/widgets are not as decorative (and so don't get in the way of the content you are working on) and it all just seems a hell of a lot easier on the eye.

And hey.. FCP available in June.. hmm very timely to coincide with possible new 970 driven towers don'tcha think???

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on FCP4, it looks to be a much nicer and more complete DVE software. And the audio track mixing is the one thing I really have been wanting....

But what really gets me is that they kept the price the same, that's fantastic! With FinalCut Express coming out earlier, I fully expected to see FCP4 with a $2k or so price tag.

Nicely done Apple.

D :D

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by erik1975
I'm surprised no one else has found this yet.

Under the Apple Software section in the online store:

Final Cut Pro 4.0 Upgrade from Final Cut Express
$699.00

Did they have this kind of deal before? It's good to know that if Express makes you curious enough, you aren't out $300 when you buy the full version.

Yeah, this is cool. Picture this:

Joe-consumer buys a Mac to make simple home movies using iMove. He loves it, but soon he discovers that he he wants to add some pro featues that are available in Final Cut Express. He buys FCE because it is basically FCP without some truly pro featues.

Now since FCP4 has been announced, this newly aspiring film editor is all over it....and Apple saves you the $300 that you already spent on FCE!

Cool.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Apple pay so much attention to me!!!

You see, they re-design the DVD Studio Pro interface! If you want Apple to do something for you just tell me and I post it:D .

Now, I didn't know anything about the third software, I just have to pay attenion but it feels so good to have such good things to dream about:rolleyes:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
OK, here are some of my thoughts on all that has been released today.

FCP4 is a bargain!

add it together:
FCP3- $999
Cinema Tools- $999
Soundtrack- (at least $100)
Live Type- (not sure, but it could be compared to other video text applications)

And the fact that all of this is integrated together with tons of new features makes this one heck of a deal. Digital video just got a whole lot better.

The delayed release dates make me wonder about future hardware and software releases. It also makes me wonder if Apple will release special digital video hardware or a Mac OS X DV edition. Something that caters to the need of high end DV producers. It could be an expansion of the current Mac OS X or even 10.3 (kind of like the way Mac OS X server is). Because of Apple's overwhelming presence in the DV market, a move like that wouldn't the least bit surprise me. Apple is targeting high end DV producers, and a special edition of the OS with added features only DV people would use, and special hardware designed specifically for DV use would make Apple an even more attractive DV option.

The funny thing about all of this stuff is that it's going to take forever to review. There are so many uesful features and functions that you'll probably find something new every day you use it until they release an upgrade.

Apple is the clear leader in digital video, no question about it. Now they need to have a special DV edition OS and a special computer for DV use, and that would seal the deal. Nothing would stand a chance. The only thing that's missing is the 3d animation, but that takes quite a bit more than Apple can currently offer.

I just hope that more of these features find their way into more consumer oriented apps, or even the iApps.

Good job Apple. Keep up the good work!

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Upgrade options stink!!!

I just got the upgrade to FCP last fall, plus DVD Studio Pro (new). Now's it's going to cost me 80% of purchase price to upgrade FCP again?!?!?
There's no word about the price to upgrade DVDSP, hell I could purchase another license and the $30 upgrade for less than I originally paid for it??? WTF?!?!?! No 'loyalty bonus'?

I'm going to have to think long and hard if this upgrade is going to be worth it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Regarding the extended desktop and floating menu in those movies: you can tell someone manually created extra desktop: look at all the swoosh lines near the edges, they all get weird beyond the confined of the menu/icon region in the middle--and they all go further than the real image goes. If the menu bar were REALLY floating, the normal desktop would just be scaled to fill the screen as always--no need to create any "extra" swoosh graphics manually.

As to WHY someone made a larger backdrop, creating an exra border for the video and making the real content smaller and less readable... you've got me. I'm guessing someone made a weird and dire mistake in preparing those movies, and made an even weirder custom solution to work around it. I wouldn't be surprised if the movies are re-done "right" later, unless Apple decided it's not worth the bother.

(P.S. I hope the dirty grey look doesn't spread into the OS--even Metal is better--but I'm not worried: Apple seems willing to keep non-standard UIs for certain pro apps, and I think that's all we're seeing. Maybe Apple is slowly migrating them towards Aqua or Metal--but current users know what they know, so I can see not making changes too quickly.)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Let's hope Apple can back these releases up with some new hardware in the future.

Though - the rendezvous Shake distributed processing is quite cool...

arn

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
FCP4 system requirements

* 60GB of available hard disk space for installing applications
* 20GB of available hard disk space for installing LiveType and Soundtrack content

Is it me, or is that a huge ammount of disk space needed for an application?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by arn
Let's hope Apple can back these releases up with some new hardware in the future.

Though - the rendezvous Shake distributed processing is quite cool...

arn

You said it.

Apple is certainly headed somewhere with all of these software apps, and the only thing left to do is come out with new hardware.

I'm waiting :D

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by G4scott
I noticed that too, but the desktop picture goes outside it.

I agree, but it is fairly trivial to do that as a post capture edit. Just set the background to center and make sure that it is actually larger than the screen before you start capturing the movie :).

As for another post that talks about UI changes - all they did was capture everything while the system was set to Graphite instead of Blue. No big fancy tricks here. I doubt that they'd be capturing anything on 10.3 anyway - after all, developers aren't even supposed to be getting their preview version until June and an OS 3 months prior to developer preview is typically a ghasty thing indeed :D.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by Rincewind42
I agree, but it is fairly trivial to do that as a post capture edit. Just set the background to center and make sure that it is actually larger than the screen before you start capturing the movie :).
It seems like these tutorial videos were made with TV viewing in mind.
Moving the menubar from the top of the imagespace keeps it in the TV-Safe area.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by TylerL
It seems like these tutorial videos were made with TV viewing in mind.
Moving the menubar from the top of the imagespace keeps it in the TV-Safe area.

ah... very good point. Perhaps these will be included on a DVD with the software...

arn

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Re: FCP4 system requirements

Originally posted by Classic
* 20GB of available hard disk space for installing LiveType and Soundtrack content

you also need a dvd drive. it comes only on dvd's.

Originally posted by rice_web
If there was any question before, it's been answered.

Apple is most definitely a software company.

i think it proves they are a hardware company. the apple apps are leverage for hardware sales.

hanumang

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2003
Top cabinet, 2nd shelf
Re: FCP4 system requirements

Originally posted by Classic

Well, according to the Apple Store's FCP 4 Upgrade page, these are the system requirements:

• Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4 and AGP graphics card:
    * 500MHz or faster single processor or any dual processor Power Mac G4 or PowerBook G4 required for RT Extreme and Soundtrack.
    * 667 MHz or faster PowerBook G4 required for RT Extreme in DV format.
  • QuickTime 6.1
  • 384MB of RAM (512MB recommended for RT Extreme and Soundtrack).
  • 1GB available disk space required for application installation.
  • 14GB available disk space for required for Soundtrack and LiveType content.
  • DVD drive required for installation.

That seems a bit more likely. 60GB just for the application files seems out-of-this world! :eek:

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Re: Re: FCP4 system requirements

Originally posted by hanumang
Well, according to the Apple Store's FCP 4 Upgrade page, these are the system requirements:

• 1GB available disk space required for application installation.
  • 14GB available disk space for required for Soundtrack and LiveType content.
  • DVD drive required for installation.

That seems a bit more likely. 60GB just for the application files seems out-of-this world! :eek:

apple have just changed the 60gb plus 20gb specs.
luckily it was just a typo.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by G4scott
There was just a complaint in abother thread about how we never know about what Apple's doing ahead of time. Would you rather know that these programs will be available later on, or would you rather wait until the day before they're released to find out that Apple's making them?

It depends. The market Apple is in can be different from other markets, such as games. I've known Doom 3 has been in the works for awhile, but it doesn't make me want to go and buy Doom 2 and feel I got the same use out of it. Sort of like movies, even. Just because I saw Superman I, doesn't mean it will be the same as Superman II.

With hardware and software, though, if they announce a new product TOO early, it might kill their sales for the time being. If Apple announces a great new Powermac, but it is still 3 months down the line, I just might wait 3 months so I can get even more power for a similar price to what I could pay now.

But if a company comes out with a great new Killer App X, and no one else has made or seen anything like it, then it might be of some interest to announce it a little before it has come out, but not too far ahead, or someone else might steal the idea and make their own hacked version of the product (not like we know any company who would do such a thing, mind you, *cough, cough*).

I fully support Apple into working more in the software field...hey, look how rich it made Microsoft. BUT, my biggest complaint is that they need to make sure they don't spread themselves too thin, or they will not be able to put the proper amount of energy and focus into each of their products. Look at Microsoft...I wouldn't really consider any of their apps as the leader in their field for innovation or just because they are that good...Microsoft has spread itself out way too thinly, trying to make an OS, a browser, an Office suite, a game console, a news network, an ISP, an IM, a server....need I continue? They just can't be everything to everyone, as much as they would love to snatch up that last fleeting 10% (or so) of the market who has deviated away from them. So, as long as Apple can make a few, but amazing, software products, and not try and kill the third parties in the process, I'm up for that.

I also noticed how the eye seems to have that Photoshop 7 feel to it, but I especially liked the little color-wheel representation they did. Kind of clever. Sort of. A bit...a bit....but she has got a wart....

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Originally posted by edenwaith

But if a company comes out with a great new Killer App X, and no one else has made or seen anything like it, then it might be of some interest to announce it a little before it has come out, but not too far ahead, or someone else might steal the idea and make their own hacked version of the product (not like we know any company who would do such a thing, mind you, *cough, cough*).

It also allows the company of said 'Killer App X' to stick it to you for upgrades. (Yes, I'm bitter about this.) I would feel a little better if Apple would stagger their upgrade pricing...right now, user A, who bought FCP 1 can upgrade to 4 for the same amount of money as User B, who bought FCP 1, paid for upgrade to 2, and paid for an upgrade to 3. User A has spent $1400, while User B has spent $2200.

I guess I'll just deal with it and wait for FCP 6 until I upgrade. Otherwise, it's a great deal if you're just getting into video. It's nice that they cut the price of DVD SP in half...that adds a little vaseline to the whole process.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by crazytom
It also allows the company of said 'Killer App X' to stick it to you for upgrades. (Yes, I'm bitter about this.) I would feel a little better if Apple would stagger their upgrade pricing...right now, user A, who bought FCP 1 can upgrade to 4 for the same amount of money as User B, who bought FCP 1, paid for upgrade to 2, and paid for an upgrade to 3. User A has spent $1400, while User B has spent $2200.

I guess I'll just deal with it and wait for FCP 6 until I upgrade. Otherwise, it's a great deal if you're just getting into video. It's nice that they cut the price of DVD SP in half...that adds a little vaseline to the whole process.
Even though I'm a "user A" person, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I'm glas they anounced it a couple months ahead of time. Now I can start saving up for it. I'm a little surprised that the educational upgrade price has no discount on it at all. (Especialy since this is the first FCP upgrade where I would qualify for it!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.