Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Awesome! Glad to see a forum was created! I am a heavy Day One user who happily signed onto this application (Dyrii) when in less than half a week, it came out with a Day One import. I imported 1200+ entries and 1500+ photos into Dyrii perfectly. I have it now on my Mini, Air, and iPhone. I love the fact that I can use iCloud storage (storage I'm already paying for) and that Dyrii is only $10 and I have another backup for my data in Day One.

The app works very nicely - it's not perfect but the developers listens to their users - that alone makes any $ I spend on this app worth it. I highly recommend it!

So after all this while, what's your take? DO or DY? :p

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So after all this while, what's your take? DO or DY? :p

Dyrii is a great product - the developer was and is super responsive to feedback and added a TON of new features. I pay for Dyrii and Day One. I started out using Dyrii as a backup for my Day One entries - the import worked PERFECTLY. The biggest thing that attracted me about Dyrii is that it uses iCloud instead of a proprietary syncing service (like Day One).

Dyrii is not as mature as Day One but it is rapidly getting there - it closed the gap from a new service to a very usable journalist platform. You can't ignore the pricing of Dyrii either. The pricing is just PERFECT and the fact that you get to use Apple's cloud? Yeah.

Had I not started out with Day One, I'd be using Dyrii primarily. Right now it sits as my backup to Day One.

My system: I enter a "daily log" into a Google Doc (one per month), then copy it to Day One, import my steps, upload photos. Then at the end of the month I'll do a mass export (for the month) to Dyrii.

I'm torn because my work just recently let me use a Dell Laptop (Windows 10 Pro) at home, something I use all the time now as my primary machine. This is why I'm using Google Docs as my first entry point.

I'm strongly considering just using a bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone for entry now so I don't have to copy/paste but I like having backups of backups of backups. :)

As much as I like Dyrii - I support it, pay for it, and recommend it over Day One, Day One is what I use as my primary just because I've been using it for years and because it is a bit more refined than Dyrii. Dyrii still crashes now and then, it isn't easy to get to all my entries as easily as Day One or see how many I have, etc... Day One is more of a premium product and you definitely pay for it ($50 vs $10).

Since us older users were grandfathered into Day One's new subscription model at $24.99/year it is hard to leave it.

Day One is what I use primarily. Dyrii has worked hard for my business and I'm happy to pay $10/year for it. :)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Dyrii is a great product - the developer was and is super responsive to feedback and added a TON of new features. I pay for Dyrii and Day One. I started out using Dyrii as a backup for my Day One entries - the import worked PERFECTLY. The biggest thing that attracted me about Dyrii is that it uses iCloud instead of a proprietary syncing service (like Day One).

Dyrii is not as mature as Day One but it is rapidly getting there - it closed the gap from a new service to a very usable journalist platform. You can't ignore the pricing of Dyrii either. The pricing is just PERFECT and the fact that you get to use Apple's cloud? Yeah.

Had I not started out with Day One, I'd be using Dyrii primarily. Right now it sits as my backup to Day One.

My system: I enter a "daily log" into a Google Doc (one per month), then copy it to Day One, import my steps, upload photos. Then at the end of the month I'll do a mass export (for the month) to Dyrii.

I'm torn because my work just recently let me use a Dell Laptop (Windows 10 Pro) at home, something I use all the time now as my primary machine. This is why I'm using Google Docs as my first entry point.

I'm strongly considering just using a bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone for entry now so I don't have to copy/paste but I like having backups of backups of backups. :)

As much as I like Dyrii - I support it, pay for it, and recommend it over Day One, Day One is what I use as my primary just because I've been using it for years and because it is a bit more refined than Dyrii. Dyrii still crashes now and then, it isn't easy to get to all my entries as easily as Day One or see how many I have, etc... Day One is more of a premium product and you definitely pay for it ($50 vs $10).

Since us older users were grandfathered into Day One's new subscription model at $24.99/year it is hard to leave it.

Day One is what I use primarily. Dyrii has worked hard for my business and I'm happy to pay $10/year for it. :)

Elaborately explained! Thank you!

Yes, I have been grand-daddied as well, had bought both Mac and iOS apps back in the day and upgraded to v2 so the senior citizen discount applies to me as well.

I have been experimenting with Dyrii and like it quite a bit. Both DO and DY offer good options to export but as you said, the plus with DY is iCloud that I pay for already. This really is a confusing decision for me now, having tried Dyrii. Hats off to @Ibalek for his excellent work on it.

Crashes? Ouch. Was there any data loss?

So ultimately you are saying that just out of force of habit you're sticking to DO? Cos personally I really can't decide! Both are that good! I'm intentionally not considering price here, having been grand-daddied.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Elaborately explained! Thank you!

Yes, I have been grand-daddied as well, had bought both Mac and iOS apps back in the day and upgraded to v2 so the senior citizen discount applies to me as well.

I have been experimenting with Dyrii and like it quite a bit. Both DO and DY offer good options to export but as you said, the plus with DY is iCloud that I pay for already. This really is a confusing decision for me now, having tried Dyrii. Hats off to @Ibalek for his excellent work on it.

Crashes? Ouch. Was there any data loss?

So ultimately you are saying that just out of force of habit you're sticking to DO? Cos personally I really can't decide! Both are that good! I'm intentionally not considering price here, having been grand-daddied.

No data loss at all - just the app closing unexpectedly. It happens rarely now days. They're pretty quick to fix.

Yeah, out of force of habit and because I already paid the year, and because I'm mostly lazy. <--- Probably the biggest reason. I'll be honest, Day One is a better application but I'm a huge fan of buying apps just to support developers and see what the competition is like. Dyrii isn't far behind.

Try it out for a week - I did. Do an export to get your Day One data over (this was flawless for me). Then you have yet another backup just in case Day One goes belly up or loses their cloud data. lol.

So 80% lazy and 20% I like Day One better but I dislike saying that here cuz I encourage people to get, use, and love Dyrii (because I do too!) :).

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
No data loss at all - just the app closing unexpectedly. It happens rarely now days. They're pretty quick to fix.

Yeah, out of force of habit and because I already paid the year, and because I'm mostly lazy. <--- Probably the biggest reason. I'll be honest, Day One is a better application but I'm a huge fan of buying apps just to support developers and see what the competition is like. Dyrii isn't far behind.

Try it out for a week - I did. Do an export to get your Day One data over (this was flawless for me). Then you have yet another backup just in case Day One goes belly up or loses their cloud data. lol.

So 80% lazy and 20% I like Day One better but I dislike saying that here cuz I encourage people to get, use, and love Dyrii (because I do too!) :).

Indeed. @Ibalek has done such a fantastic job with the apps and the price makes it a true no-brainer purchase.

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Indeed. @Ibalek has done such a fantastic job with the apps and the price makes it a true no-brainer purchase.
Thanks for the compliments! I understand we have lot of refinement work to do to get the level of polish as DO. It takes lot of work and iterations to refine and with a tiny team it takes time. But we will get there soon!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thanks for the compliments! I understand we have lot of refinement work to do to get the level of polish as DO. It takes lot of work and iterations to refine and with a tiny team it takes time. But we will get there soon!

I have no doubt at all. You will not only get there, but probably beat them at their game.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
i3QdI8a.png

Should be "optional" and "recommend"

In general, your layout is quite nice but the design and the finer details are lacking to provide a nice atmosphere and focus for writing. Things are not aligned and hard to see, e.g. the "Done" button when adding a new entry. My suggestion is to work out a design profile, who do you want to be and how do you want to portray your business, color-wise as well as design-wise :)

As for feature suggestions; I like to keep multiple different journals about different things. Tagging is not a way to categorize so it would not work well for this. So the ability to create more journals other than "Timeline" would be awesome!

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
We will fix the typos. Agreed, we need to refine our design language and remove inconsistencies. Support for multiple journals is in our list and we are evaluating how it would fit in with our concept of one timeline. DO has "All" which could map to our concept of one timeline. More to come on this soon.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
We will fix the typos. Agreed, we need to refine our design language and remove inconsistencies. Support for multiple journals is in our list and we are evaluating how it would fit in with our concept of one timeline. DO has "All" which could map to our concept of one timeline. More to come on this soon.

Good to hear! Will follow development of this :)

This is just much more bang for the buck than Day One. Currently the only thing it has over this is design and support for multiple journals, after that I'll happily switch! Keeping your price point at this will get you a lot more customers, and what's more; happy customers, than Day One, meaning more income even though you're cheaper just because of the shear number of customers!

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008

Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff do you log each day? Do you do it in a bullet point format or stream of consciousness, etc.?

Longtime journaler here and curious!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff do you log each day? Do you do it in a bullet point format or stream of consciousness, etc.?

Longtime journaler here and curious!

Hah, I don't think anyone has asked me this :).

A stream of consciousness for sure. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be like Data (http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Data) on Star Trek so I spent countless hours on Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing learning to type and eventually managed 160wpm consistently (189wpm was my peak). This means that I can easily pop out pages and pages of text with little effort, even since before High School.

All my journal entries are a stream of consciousness, recounting the day's events, my thoughts during those events, and pictures if I have them. As a child I was motivated by Star Trek, again, the captain doing his log every day, personnel doing their personal logs, etc...

Some of my longer daily logs are me thinking to myself out loud, analyzing it, and responding to it, planning for the future. This can take 30 minutes to an hour and be anywhere from 2-8 pages long.

I try to keep log entries under 30 minutes and 2 pages long. I find getting in a relaxed state and physical location is very important to remembering the day's events so I'll get my pet cockatiel (below), who absolutely loves to sit on my shoe while I type with a bluetooth keyboard into my iPhone all on a lap desk outside. I take about 15-20 photos a day on average to help me remember my day but I usually only post memorable / important photos in my daily logs - I try to keep those text only since Google Photos does a good job organizing my photos for me.

tbnyUWtSTeqL_WkIoiqn0cp3x2Mh9y4vgEMnfP2n3p774hvDyGJn99-NEOPJ12DBb2W_UqyCVIaH-FTmtbT-5YdPU9MQO8FRT960QG6BADryQgip7eFRccnQU-xV3VDq8zUfuzB904qO_zJmz683ToWEES2J1Eh8EmkpIy4LW5NxIDAzT7lR0dixGHOz4Q3vHdn_AZ48wH1oRUSWCuLS68kY9DrIyc4b2paHXsZmFucmQdX8516QkeVMeRLSx6jNcBcgwRuMAiyeJIOh6NcUS4moH9VBlrMHYhDwsoQvfDG8VAxwjmF7kZiiEjYCpKysUhyPCEa0J6IX-D7jHD5ef69f6blOW8-Bu6hyEmnLPTrUN2HnVhKieGRxR0cg5LFFyMMO28TiyH4nuRgPKPn1ugxD5o6Q1KqWM1Sb7Kp5ambyxPGsBlody6z5BATCCHw-YVWa2J8mTljwKBcjc4PyBN_mdsMBK1yze_aPxx2Osvx_8hZ2oFJq1pIcMfPulH7lqIUejHsTWcYvfNxfVGx4dMAa8IFu1_b5UFm8Ne3FNZSYpf6t0zoiDGytCahD5p1ANfa1rdFRc7HnHNibWd_IeZESI35muWKAa7WlQrug0xc=w731-h974-no

vRabnsXSCtrPtqhizo_u9bf8cqcj65nQ5Zul4zBpiV1qAYjpmOvOZW4XvGwMsfxkH5_Ik7BljAOnFRPoxKtIpCH0j_-c8ZAdqs2wfgqaHT2BmsKmaXO3c6me1g8x_G4ffZbc7XfxHz_qyw8Ds9BvjiVPuSD0aCJyUJeAwOmKxTZw_rGx1b71SGkLead8LRon2TS81W2VqjhdB7DpG6nHDG8SgX83Sd0dmPVpvSqwxpS0w01Aa1L_e3q8ugztSipxeGeboevuO1E0xJBe4Q5XmE_Ia32Q1ghAP-EYlqnCzeT9v4aJ7-PpuaxNbaWLhLVomcn0X-4h29Wq78RqFmSH1r0WPLgCQcyjvYImSOQlOAUh255GnF5O_3bcGF1-HuQ_oWDAPJHIA1qSoKbxW7S6MiGzt27PgUzR9oorLE0JpLLKMURLFulkuN3GqLPTJ5Mx0S8t2b0OSivIA-pZjzGW2A0kjZa-XVkrxGw2uoJY55TAgYUm56LKQue_kVJnVUFyPpiK7Zw_fZ4hapHKCEt99TaGaxsnEBEwDscqZCiDR3GTeSH_ScnsIF2pXO8EvUJ5UvKnjXM-zff4fY2SusW0xHU-ff5Mjo5rTPK04bp4IMo=w1299-h974-no

(She is growing new feathers).

SammyNad

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
It was @BigMcGuire ’s posts that nudged me to dl Dyrii and give it a shot. Like he, I’m a paid sub of DO. However, as a family therapist (married to a psychiatrist), the templates in Dyrii could be very useful with clients.

A few weeks ago, I published a new book, and will be giving talks in the fall and winter. I’ll be sure to mention Dyrii, and give demos on how to use to regulate anxiety, etc.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
What is Dyrii web account in the iOS app? Why would I need one?

And not to mention, when would we see the feature set of the macOS app being reflected in the iOS app? No templates, as far as I could gather; and no way to add mood and health and all that to an entry on iOS, like I can in the macOS app?

Kindly correct me if I am wrong. :)

Last edited:

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
What is Dyrii web account in the iOS app? Why would I need one?

And not to mention, when would we see the feature set of the macOS app being reflected in the iOS app? No templates, as far as I could gather; and no way to add mood and health and all that to an entry on iOS, like I can in the macOS app?

Kindly correct me if I am wrong. :)

Templates are already implemented in Dyrii iOS. The template button is located in the Editor next to the "Done" button on the top.

Ability to edit any type of post such a way that you can easily add tags, moods, photos, videos similar to how Mac allows it is coming soon to iOS. We are currently working on Star ratings, Word Counts, and edit any post on iOS functionality.

The web app is still in alpha but it would cover following use cases:
1. People who have iPhone/iPad but do not own a Mac.
2. People who have Mac at home but use Windows or Chromebooks for work.
3. Enable web hooks for automation using tools such as IFTTT, Post via Email etc.
4. Sharing using public links similar to EvenNote, SimpleNotes public sharing.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Templates are already implemented in Dyrii iOS. The template button is located in the Editor next to the "Done" button on the top.

Ability to edit any type of post such a way that you can easily add tags, moods, photos, videos similar to how Mac allows it is coming soon to iOS. We are currently working on Star ratings, Word Counts, and edit any post on iOS functionality.

The web app is still in alpha but it would cover following use cases:
1. People who have iPhone/iPad but do not own a Mac.
2. People who have Mac at home but use Windows or Chromebooks for work.
3. Enable web hooks for automation using tools such as IFTTT, Post via Email etc.
4. Sharing using public links similar to EvenNote, SimpleNotes public sharing.

Thank you for that elaborate response! Oh yes, my bad, I was not curious enough to tap that button next to Done! :oops:

Thank you again for putting forth a guideline as to what you are up to and what to expect! I can't wait for the revision! Brilliant app, Ibalek! It manages to be so simple to start making an entry without looking visually cluttered. Love it. It is good to see this app shape up so wonderfully.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I had stopped journalling sometime ago, due to issues. Having started journalling again, I have been using Day One extensively over last few days as that was the original purchase I had made long ago, and that had my "2017" journal as well.

Today, I am now going to carry it forward in Dyrii, and boy, what a fantastic revelation right from the word Go. Such beautiful use of full screen on macOS. Editor as well as the app in full screen is absolutely gorgeous. I had to stop journalling and come here to type this due to my excitement with it. Can't overstate it. It is beautiful and tasteful, as well as tastefully minimal.

One question: no autocorrect implemented as yet? Or am I missing that option somewhere, again? It would be nice to have the text autocapitalised after a period, as well as characters like i.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
This review is going to go back and forth between the iOS and macOS versions, making comparisons between one another.

Using Dyrii dedicatedly for some days now, and it is good. There are some telling things missing in the macOS version that make it slightly difficult to use for me: auto text capitalisation to begin with, and probably spell check. iOS app has this feature, and therefore, my preferred way of entry is the iOS app just for that. However, I would love to see this functionality enabled soon.

Other than this particular need of mine, both iOS and macOS versions have so far worked flawlessly, including sync. Both apps are visually pleasing, and feel spacious and less cluttered. This is something that helps the journalling experience positively, for me, at least.

Can't wait for new versions to both macOS and iOS. This is a simple yet nimble journal that brings a smile to the face each time you use it. May sound like a broken record, but each time I use it, I sort of wish the price point remains so for a couple of years at least! It is so lucrative!

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
This review is going to go back and forth between the iOS and macOS versions, making comparisons between one another.

Using Dyrii dedicatedly for some days now, and it is good. There are some telling things missing in the macOS version that make it slightly difficult to use for me: auto text capitalisation to begin with, and probably spell check. iOS app has this feature, and therefore, my preferred way of entry is the iOS app just for that. However, I would love to see this functionality enabled soon.

Other than this particular need of mine, both iOS and macOS versions have so far worked flawlessly, including sync. Both apps are visually pleasing, and feel spacious and less cluttered. This is something that helps the journalling experience positively, for me, at least.

Can't wait for new versions to both macOS and iOS. This is a simple yet nimble journal that brings a smile to the face each time you use it. May sound like a broken record, but each time I use it, I sort of wish the price point remains so for a couple of years at least! It is so lucrative!

Doesn't macOS already come built in with auto text capitalisation and spell check?

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Doesn't macOS already come built in with auto text capitalisation and spell check?

macOS provides framework. Apps need to support it I think. Because while other apps have the said goodness, no auto text capitalisation and auto correct working in Dyrii. This means that this needs to be enabled developer side. :)

So I'm happily using the iOS as entry point and then if I need to make some edits, the macOS app. Hopefully this gets introduced soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.