Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Received some Dyrii love today morning when I woke up. It's got a macOS style logo now, and several new changes, apart from a new maintenance mode.

Attachments

• E5A4D06F-7533-4E6F-97A5-3E1FBEB7526F.png
    E5A4D06F-7533-4E6F-97A5-3E1FBEB7526F.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 220

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
I very much want DYRII to succeed. But this announcement sounds ominous. "...We are unable to add any new features at this time." It sounds like the app has not taken off as the developer had hoped. I sincerely hope not.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
As of today, Dyrii with its new interface and tweaks has become a strong and polished contender in the space of journal apps. Hope it does not die down. This is a wonderful app and the only journalling app that I love and use. Going back to DayOne is not an option for me. If this fails, I would just resort to pen and paper. This app has got the right mix at the moment to not get in the way but actually encourage journalling through a lot of nifty features others did not think of.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
In the absence of anything more concrete than 'There is no reason to worry', it should come as no surprise that people will start browsing around the app store for a substitute and searching for an in-app export option to export data. Journals are a long term investment in personal productivity and users need guarantees of a stable long term repository. As of now, we don't have it.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I think, he is only waiting for the app to generate some decent revenue he would pump back into development. So currently he might be taking time off from this project. Doesn't mean he abandoned it, it just looks like a straight guy who gave it to us straight.

Reactions: arefbe

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think, he is only waiting for the app to generate some decent revenue he would pump back into development. So currently he might be taking time off from this project. Doesn't mean he abandoned it, it just looks like a straight guy who gave it to us straight.

Yeah, and because it uses iCloud for syncing we don't have to worry about the company going bankrupt and shutting down their syncing service, like we would with Dyrii competitors. Dyrii is working very well - I use it weekly. Glad to see they haven't abandoned it - hope they can find revenue somewhere!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Yeah, and because it uses iCloud for syncing we don't have to worry about the company going bankrupt and shutting down their syncing service, like we would with Dyrii competitors. Dyrii is working very well - I use it weekly. Glad to see they haven't abandoned it - hope they can find revenue somewhere!

Have you tried Lifecraft?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Have you tried Lifecraft?

I haven't, how interesting. Kinda cool to see these pop up all over. I'm heavily invested in Day One and use Dyrii as a backup (or vis versa - Dyrii primarily and export to Day One). Lifecraft looks like it has some serious development power behind it - almost a Dyrii clone.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I haven't, how interesting. Kinda cool to see these pop up all over. I'm heavily invested in Day One and use Dyrii as a backup (or vis versa - Dyrii primarily and export to Day One). Lifecraft looks like it has some serious development power behind it - almost a Dyrii clone.

Having both iOS and macOS apps is a plus. I came across it today, and downloaded it to give it a whirl. Crisp interface, but again, Dyrii is so simple with no distractions.
[doublepost=1528727246][/doublepost]Dyrii got a macOS version update today. I am still amazed how beautiful and simple it is.

Lifecraft has this bend towards emotions and such things in color. DO has a lot of things in the face.

Dyrii is a smart text-first tool. Can't understand why isn't it being a hit with the crowd.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
macintoshmac said "Dyrii is a smart text-first tool. Can't understand why isn't it being a hit with the crowd."

You're absolutely right. I don't understand it, either!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
macintoshmac said "Dyrii is a smart text-first tool. Can't understand why isn't it being a hit with the crowd."

You're absolutely right. I don't understand it, either!

Agreed. Though, no one I know does a journal. That includes friends, coworkers (though I haven't asked all), family, etc... I am the only one who does. Star Trek was my motivation - "Log Entry: " - been doing it since I was a kid. :p I do one at most every day (I miss a day here and there). Now I have 1512 entries - total of about 1.72 GB of photos and text. Anything before 2007 was paper so it's about 10 years of digital journal entries.

Not sure why more people don't do this. It's a huge stress-reducer.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Agreed. Though, no one I know does a journal. That includes friends, coworkers (though I haven't asked all), family, etc... I am the only one who does. Star Trek was my motivation - "Log Entry: " - been doing it since I was a kid. :p I do one at most every day (I miss a day here and there). Now I have 1512 entries - total of about 1.72 GB of photos and text. Anything before 2007 was paper so it's about 10 years of digital journal entries.

Yes, it's the cheapest therapy I know of!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Indeed it is a stress reducer. Forces all thoughts to form a line before coming to you for attention and processing.

Lifecraft does not have a dark mode. DayOne does not have a dark mode. Dyrii does. Go figure!
[doublepost=1528733154][/doublepost]@Ibalek there is a bug in macOS app. Suppose you start a new entry at 9:30PM and you end it at 9:45PM and save it. Earlier, it used to be saved with the time stamp of starting, not when we saved it. Is this a bug or a change? Happened in the last version too.

Also, an entry saved just right now, reflects in the new iOS version as 21 hours ago? (in timeline)
[doublepost=1528733375][/doublepost]@BigMcGuire can you confirm this new 21 hours ago bug in iOS app?

Create a new entry, be it from macOS or iOS. Save it. Timeline on iOS will show this entry as 21 hours ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Indeed it is a stress reducer. Forces all thoughts to form a line before coming to you for attention and processing.

Lifecraft does not have a dark mode. DayOne does not have a dark mode. Dyrii does. Go figure!
[doublepost=1528733154][/doublepost]@Ibalek there is a bug in macOS app. Suppose you start a new entry at 9:30PM and you end it at 9:45PM and save it. Earlier, it used to be saved with the time stamp of starting, not when we saved it. Is this a bug or a change? Happened in the last version too.

Also, an entry saved just right now, reflects in the new iOS version as 21 hours ago? (in timeline)
[doublepost=1528733375][/doublepost]@BigMcGuire can you confirm this new 21 hours ago bug in iOS app?

Create a new entry, be it from macOS or iOS. Save it. Timeline on iOS will show this entry as 21 hours ago.

Yeah I just added this and it says 9 hours ago. That what you mean ?

Attachments

• 7B234F79-8709-4251-A051-0F5D598F248E.jpeg
    7B234F79-8709-4251-A051-0F5D598F248E.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 241

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
There is no reason to worry. The app will continue to be available on the App Store and we will roll out minor fixes for bugs. We have just stopped developing new features for the time being.
Hearing this news makes me realise just how good this application is. I hope things work out well for the developers and in turn we will all benefit.

Reactions: arefbe

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
@Ibalek - hope all is well, no updates from you in the forum since about June last year. In the interim, I am loving the Dyrii app. It saved me the considerable effort of spinning up my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.