Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarbiiRue

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
Duluth, GA
Your application is fantastic thus far. Someone mentioned it on Reddit the other day when another person was inquiring about handwritten journal options. So far, I hadn't been able to find one that would allow me to use my iPad to handwrite my journal entries/sketches, and so when this was mentioned I had to immediately jump on it.

I've been using DO since about May or so, and while it's a great application, the lack of being able to write/sketch via my iPad was a major sore point for me. Plus, your price point is much better overall, so you have two thumbs up on my end.

A suggestion or request from me would be to add in the option to pull things like photos, screenshots, etc. from Dropbox. Dropbox is currently one of the most widely used storage options these days, and for instance... I play a lot of games, and like to journal about things that happen in them (I know, I'm odd, it is what it is) and I take T O N S of screenshots. These get saved to DB (not iCloud) and it would be great to be able to reference directly to Dropbox, rather than have to re-save them to my DB.

Is this something that's potentially doable?

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Your application is fantastic thus far. Someone mentioned it on Reddit the other day when another person was inquiring about handwritten journal options. So far, I hadn't been able to find one that would allow me to use my iPad to handwrite my journal entries/sketches, and so when this was mentioned I had to immediately jump on it.

I've been using DO since about May or so, and while it's a great application, the lack of being able to write/sketch via my iPad was a major sore point for me. Plus, your price point is much better overall, so you have two thumbs up on my end.

A suggestion or request from me would be to add in the option to pull things like photos, screenshots, etc. from Dropbox. Dropbox is currently one of the most widely used storage options these days, and for instance... I play a lot of games, and like to journal about things that happen in them (I know, I'm odd, it is what it is) and I take T O N S of screenshots. These get saved to DB (not iCloud) and it would be great to be able to reference directly to Dropbox, rather than have to re-save them to my DB.

Is this something that's potentially doable?

Thanks for giving the app a try! Yes, we are toying with the idea of allowing image attachment as links. We understand people may want to reference images stored elsewhere such as Flicker, etc. I think that is what you are referring to here?

It is doable, but we need to flush out a few things. I don't have an ETA at this point but this is in our list.

Reactions: macintoshmac

DarbiiRue

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
Duluth, GA
Thanks for giving the app a try! Yes, we are toying with the idea of allowing image attachment as links. We understand people may want to reference images stored elsewhere such as Flicker, etc. I think that is what you are referring to here?

It is doable, but we need to flush out a few things. I don't have an ETA at this point but this is in our list.

Wow, you're really on top of following this thread. Love it!

Not so much linking, as I'd like to be able to import the photo/screenshot/etc. directly from Dropbox, as though I would with a picture file that's already on my phone. I have Dropbox on my phone, and usually pull things directly from it for journals. I hope that makes sense? The picture would show up in the journal just like it does coming from Photos.

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Wow, you're really on top of following this thread. Love it!

Not so much linking, as I'd like to be able to import the photo/screenshot/etc. directly from Dropbox, as though I would with a picture file that's already on my phone. I have Dropbox on my phone, and usually pull things directly from it for journals. I hope that makes sense? The picture would show up in the journal just like it does coming from Photos.

I think we might be talking about two different things. Are you looking for a way to import an image file from Dropbox? Or did you want the image to "reference directly to Dropbox"? In the latter case, the image will appear as part of the journal entry (like an inline image) but the underlying file would not be stored in the journal but linked/referenced to the source (Dropbox).

DarbiiRue

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
Duluth, GA
I think we might be talking about two different things. Are you looking for a way to import an image file from Dropbox? Or did you want the image to "reference directly to Dropbox"? In the latter case, the image will appear as part of the journal entry (like an inline image) but the underlying file would not be stored in the journal but linked/referenced to the source (Dropbox).

I think what you're describing is exactly what I was envisioning; only it would be nice if it stored in the journal like the other photos did. If it imported them in some way.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
A very happy new year from Dyrii and @Ibalek for Dyrii users on macOS and iOS both.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 11.33.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 11.33.51 AM.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 225
  • DC7A1316-CC58-4359-AE25-1D4844379AA7.png
    DC7A1316-CC58-4359-AE25-1D4844379AA7.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 244
  • D545DDDC-AD13-4C32-A702-38243654EB11.png
    D545DDDC-AD13-4C32-A702-38243654EB11.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: arefbe

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts! I've been testing out this app on MacOS along with Day One, and would like to suggest some possible improvements:

• It might be a good idea to offer more robust customization so Dyrii can be as slim (or as feature rich as you'd like). I think that would help make both those who want simplicity and those who want all the bells and whistles happy. Not sure how possible it would be, but the ability to switch on and off features based on personal preferences would likely be a popular pull.
  • Ability to write new posts without popping up a new window. My desktop is cluttered enough as it is, so keeping Dyrii within one window would be helpful.
  • Ability to remember settings, such as the editor bar. As it stands now I have to click on the "A" icon to expand this bar in order to further edit text or add media. Since I'm always using this bar it would be nice to see it permanently expanded.
  • Moods could have emojis in the future for added affect.
  • Ability to recognize if Apple iTunes is playing music in the background. This tends to be great metadata that helps capture what my mood of the day was like.

Thanks for listening!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I purchased the One Time option tonight and am really impressed with the app thus far. Looking forward to exploring and learning more about the app tomorrow and in the coming days.

Thank you for the app, and for having a presence here on the forum.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts! I've been testing out this app on MacOS along with Day One, and would like to suggest some possible improvements:

• It might be a good idea to offer more robust customization so Dyrii can be as slim (or as feature rich as you'd like).
  • Ability to write new posts without popping up a new window. My desktop is cluttered enough as it is, so keeping Dyrii within one window would be helpful.
Thanks for listening!

Hi! I thought about it too, but the more I use Dyrii, the more I appreciate an absolutely clean, uncluttered, focussed window to type in. :)

SammyNad

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
would like to suggest some possible improvements:
  • It might be a good idea... switch on and off features based on personal preferences would likely be a popular pull.
Absolutely agree. As it stands, Dyrii offers a ton of features, but I only use 15% of them. I prefer how Omnifocus, Daylite, etc handle this. You pick and choose which features to appear on your menu bar... the ones you use the most.

• Ability to remember settings, such as the editor bar. As it stands now I have to click on the "A" icon to expand this bar in order to further edit text or add media. Since I'm always using this bar it would be nice to see it permanently expanded.
Again, agree. I find the two-step process a bit of a pain.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Hi! I thought about it too, but the more I use Dyrii, the more I appreciate an absolutely clean, uncluttered, focussed window to type in. :)

Dyrii could borrow from Day One here in which you can set it so a new post completely overlays the currently active window rather than opening into a new one. I found this pretty useful and seems to strike a good compromise between having a dual panel and a new window altogether.

Absolutely agree. As it stands, Dyrii offers a ton of features, but I only use 15% of them. I prefer how Omnifocus, Daylite, etc handle this. You pick and choose which features to appear on your menu bar... the ones you use the most.

Again, agree. I find the two-step process a bit of a pain.

Yes, I like the idea of customizing my interface so I only see those metadata I plan to use, including optionally removing the title field (which I don't really need) and so on. Day One lacks this kind of modular ability, so if Dyrii is able to offer that they have a real chance of outgrowing Day One.

Reactions: macintoshmac

SammyNad

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
Yes, I like the idea of customizing my interface so I only see those metadata I plan to use, including optionally removing the title field (which I don't really need) and so on. Day One lacks this kind of modular ability, so if Dyrii is able to offer that they have a real chance of outgrowing Day One.

I agree.

It is bewildering to me that Dyrii is left off every journaling "app of the week" article on itunes and elsewhere. Currently, they are the only journaling specific app that supports the Apple Pencil.

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I agree.

It is bewildering to me that Dyrii is left off every journaling "app of the week" article on itunes and elsewhere. Currently, they are the only journaling specific app that supports the Apple Pencil.

Apple's App Store review team makes those picks based on their criterion. We are going to reach out to them to nudge them into reviewing Dyrii. But it is up to them.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Is there any way to save a frequently used location for daily journal input? I looked on your website and didn't see the option unless I missed it somewhere. If there isn't, can you please add the feature? It would be nice to be able to categorize saved locations as well, in my opinion.

My GPS home location is always off by one house address, and it gets old having to manually change the location every time I create an entry at home.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Ibalek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I have an update for you. We are transitioning from subscription-based pricing to one-time pricing per app at download. As an early adopter, you may get to keep the app for free if you have already downloaded our apps before May 5th. For new users, it will cost $9.99 for iOS and $39.99 for Mac app.

https://twitter.com/dyrii/status/992815671238012928

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I have an update for you. We are transitioning from subscription-based pricing to one-time pricing per app at download. As an early adopter, you may get to keep the app for free if you have already downloaded our apps before May 5th. For new users, it will cost $9.99 for iOS and $39.99 for Mac app.

Even though I have already purchased the version 1 subscription and would have continued, I think you made a wise decision given how so many dislike subscription based apps.

I really enjoy your app and I hope you continue refining and adding to the app’s abilities.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Way to go. Kindly also explain what will happen to us subscribers who use your app on both iOS and macOS.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
All existing subscriptions will be automatically canceled in June and existing subscribers will get to keep the apps for free.

Thank you! I saw the subscriptions were set at discontinued. Thank you so much! Though I must say, we might not have minded paying a discounted price. ;)

Looking forward to more polish and refinements in the app, not to mention features. I like your implementation of features without compromising the bland simplicity of the app that makes it very inviting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.