Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wllnv19

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
I have at&T, and wondering if this case has any GPS issue(while driving).
I want to buy one but this is the only reason stop me from buying it right now becuase there are not enough review on reception.

Any comment?

I have at&t also, it is the best performing aluminum case I have owned, but I in certain areas I was unable to make calls were my sons phone in a plastic case could. I also could not get the gps to lock on to me when driving.I still use the case sometimes but not when going to areas that I am not familiar with because it does affect my reception somewhat. That has been my experience with the case. Some areas were I live and work do not have the strongest signals and thats were I have problems. But if you live in an area that has a stong signal you may not have this problem.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have at&T, and wondering if this case has any GPS issue(while driving).
I want to buy one but this is the only reason stop me from buying it right now becuase there are not enough review on reception.

Any comment?

Just adding my experience. I did notice a slight reduction in 3G signal. However, I have not had any problems with either Maps or Navigon regarding GPS. [To put this in perspective, I am ordering another color today!;)]

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
So i just got the Prototype Plastic back from Jacob and he warned me it might not fit as nicely cause it's a Prototype. To my surprise it fits Very well like the Aluminum back. I also got the Black screws witch look amazing, not like it was some cheap paint job. Im gonna try the Plastic back for a few days and see if there are any differences in reception.

obyte

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Boston
So i just got the Prototype Plastic back from Jacob and he warned me it might not fit as nicely cause it's a Prototype. To my surprise it fits Very well like the Aluminum back. I also got the Black screws witch look amazing, not like it was some cheap paint job. Im gonna try the Plastic back for a few days and see if there are any differences in reception.

What is this plastic back?

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina

did you just email him about the plastic or did you buy the prototype?

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
Before I made the purchase (12/20/10) I called and talked to a guy named Matt. He was the one I chatted with for awhile , I like most are worried about reception so he told me there coming out with the Matte ones at that time and said I can wait for it witch I did and if I was so worried about reception there going to be making a plastic. As soon as they had it ready Jacob send it out to me.
I'm know I'm always saying what Great customer service they have and I Never experienced service like this online ever, I sent him some money even though I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to charge me anything, plus I needed a New Back matte piece cause I dropped it and it got scratched witch bugs the Shyt outta me.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
What is this plastic back?

It's exactly the same as the Aluminum back piece but plastic.
I think they should just make a whole plastic case if some just like's the look of the case and are always in a Horrible reception area.

obyte

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Boston
I think they should just make a whole plastic case if some just like's the look of the case and are always in a Horrible reception area.

Ah, I would have used the word 'bottom' as thats what they call the pieces. I thought you meant they were making a replacement panel for the iPhone.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
For this case I wouldn't use the word bottom. The case uses a front and back piece.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
So I just Emailed E13ctron to thank them and they are Swamped right now with orders. When they have a chance they are gonna refine the prototype so it doesn't need the plastic liners inside like the Aluminum ones and will offer different colors to.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
Any word if it's going to be cheaper than the aluminum and matte cases?

No word yet. He says when they have a chance to retool the equipment and get all the orders out, then there going to start making the plastic ones.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

So I just Emailed E13ctron to thank them and they are Swamped right now with orders. When they have a chance they are gonna refine the prototype so it doesn't need the plastic liners inside like the Aluminum ones and will offer different colors to.

No word yet. He says when they have a chance to retool the equipment and get all the orders out, then there going to start making the plastic ones.

I've got this same back arriving tomorrow for testing/review. Jacob has told me as well that the finish might not be exact, as they are still finalizing the design. He's also told me what SF-RR7 stated above in that they are refining the back plastic piece so that neither the front or back plastic liners are needed. As soon as I get the prototype tomorrow (via FedEx), I'll post pictures and an initial review.

Any word if it's going to be cheaper than the aluminum and matte cases?

Jacob told me to expect the price of the plastic/composite back to be $20-$25.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Nice Chris. Good your doing the review and not me. Your Great at it. :D

Well thanks for the kind words! :D I just try to be honest and tell it like I see it, and give the info I'd be looking for if I was searching for info on a product. I can't wait to get the plastic back tomorrow. I'm expecting it to be a bit "rough", as Jacob said not to be too harsh on him, as he just ran me a quick one on the mill Monday, but hearing you say that it was surprisingly well finished for a prototype. I was mainly wanting it to just test to see if it helps remedy the slight 4-7dB signal loss I've seen at times (which has personally been a non-issue for me). If it does that, then this case will be my top overall recommendation for an aluminum "hybrid" case in any signal strength situation.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
I was Very surprised to that this was a prototype. Only one little flaw on the corner.

Blinded

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2009
I ordered the matte aluminum anodized finish this time around. I decided on the black case with an extra top only in clear (aluminum). Still no problems to report with either of the cases I've received from them interfering with the phones functions. The order only took two days from the order date to land on my doorstep. I decided to go with the black screws this time. Here are some more pics, I don't think they came out that well because I suck at photography :D ...

xe3gh4.jpg

6p2an9.jpg

2a5aum0.jpg

dbgigy.jpg

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I ordered the matte aluminum anodized finish this time around. I decided on the black case with an extra top only in clear (aluminum). Still no problems to report with either of the cases I've received from them interfering with the phones functions. The order only took two days from the order date to land on my doorstep. I decided to go with the black screws this time. Here are some more pics, I don't think they came out that well because I suck at photography :D ...

That looks very nice. It's the combo I've been considering I just don't know if the matte or polished version looks better. If you have time do you think you could snap a couple photos of the case in natural light?

Blinded

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2009
Sure thing. It's dark and gloomy where I'm at now, so if the clouds clear tomorrow I will take some pics for you.

SF-RR7

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
Looks Really Good Blinded.
I really love the Matte ones.

Give us your Opinion cause you have both???

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
Sure thing. It's dark and gloomy where I'm at now, so if the clouds clear tomorrow I will take some pics for you.

Cool. Also, do you think the clear and dark grey would look like a good combo or is the clear and black better?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Like clear top/black. . . Just in the Shiny/Matte decision . . .

Funny, I am also going to order the clear top/black back. Really nice! Also trying to decide between shiny (which I see as more of a satin than really glossy) or matte, which looks super too. Thanks Blinded for the photos. How do you like the matte?

By the way, if any of you decide to order a better hex driver, I think the size is 0.9 mm. I have one and it works great.

Last edited:

Blinded

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2009
Looks Really Good Blinded.
I really love the Matte ones.

Give us your Opinion cause you have both???

That is correct, I do have both. I honestly like both the matte finish and the polished finish equally. The texture between the two are considerably different, as to be expected with any product that has these variations. I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but the polished does have a muted sheen or like JonMPLS said a satin look and feel to it. The matte has a really dull, flat finish to it. The coating on the cases seem durable, I've slid both of them around on my counter top and neither look worse for the wear. At the end of the day, it just comes down to personal preference.

Cool. Also, do you think the clear and dark grey would look like a good combo or is the clear and black better?

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm actually considering picking up a matte dark grey back piece now. If I get it before you, I'll post more pictures.

Funny, I am also going to order the clear top/black back. Really nice! Also trying to decide between shiny (which I see as more of a satin that really glossy) or matte, which looks super too. Thanks Blinded for the photos. How do you like the matte?

By the way, if any of you decide to order a better hex driver, I think the size is 0.9 mm. I have one and it works great.

I really like the matte. If you're torn, just get a case in both finishes :D. I think you'll be happy either way. Thanks for the info on the hex driver!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.