Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Is there no "lag" at all with Mavericks on you Mac when you resize windows? Even on my 3.5 GHz core i7, there a very short lag. El Capitan is just a fast. On my older Mac, Mavericks is indeed better at resizing, but Yosemite was clearly the worst.

skirmisser

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
The system is unbelievably faster and more responsive. Even older apps like iPhoto load much faster and are way more responsive. Not only the UI is faster but the file-system may have had an overhaul among other areas.

Reactions: KerryXEX

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
El Cap on was vastly improved over Yos overall on a 2010 quad Mac Pro, especially with resizing - Night and Day. Overall system performance felt more responsive and faster, as well.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
So you don't have lags like in my video?

Am using 2012 iMac, no lags whatsoever as seen from your screen-capture,
could it be the capturing process using up on the already limited gpu power?

I'm actually very impressed with the animations, especially quick-look and fullscreen toggle.

Reactions: ABC5S and Liam555

VMukhtarov

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
UA
Am using 2012 iMac, no lags whatsoever as seen from your screen-capture,
could it be the capturing process using up on the already limited gpu power?

I'm actually very impressed with the animations, especially quick-look and fullscreen toggle.
I checked new MBA, it has lags too.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
The lag is there: some people notice it and some not.

Look at how VMukhtarov resizes window just pulling it to the right and than compare it to double click on title bar. There's huge difference but it doesn't render computer useless.

I guess it's due to use of some antiquated framework/method. The same applied to "About this Mac" that lagged terribly until they fixed it in Yosemite.

Reactions: crjackson2134

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014

I tend to notice these things. A screen capture doesn't do justice, the video itself has low fps,
plug he's probably using GPU with < 1Gb, with that weight on, it's normal to see some lag.

It looks great on my iMac, just my 2 cents.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It’s been like that ever since Lion or Mountain Lion, I can’t remember exactly. Snow Leopard was the last smooth OS release for me, although El Capitan has improved everything quite a bit. However, I use a 2008 MacBook so I accept this. On a 2012 MacBook, I would not and I would certainly not accept it on a 2015 MacBook.

Reactions: mikiotty

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I tend to notice these things. A screen capture doesn't do justice, the video itself has low fps,
plug he's probably using GPU with < 1Gb, with that weight on, it's normal to see some lag.

It looks great on my iMac, just my 2 cents.

To cite you, if you don't notice the difference in performance between pulling window to the right and double clicking on titlebar, please:
maybe you need to update your eyes to support 60fps, I don't know..

1GB of VRAM is enough to drive advanced video games like Alien Isolation and many, many more. It's way more than required to drive simple OS UI.

What we're dealing with is some unefficient execution probably due to antiquated framework.

PS.: Maybe you're going to tell me that "About this Mac" was smooth for you before Yosemite? Yeah, it was probably due to not enough VRAM..

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
1GB of VRAM is enough to drive advanced video games like Alien Isolation and many, many more. It's way more than required to drive simple OS UI.

It takes significant gpu power to do a screen capture, do you even??

PS.: Maybe you're going to tell me that "About this Mac" was smooth for you before Yosemite?

Well.. I tend not to spend hours and hours on "About this Mac" to witness the lag.
In an everyday environment, it's unnoticeable. After upgrading to 10.11, the response is even quicker.

If your daily work requires you to resize windows every hour and make a fuss about the frame-drop,
that's just sad.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
It takes significant gpu power to do a screen capture, do you even??

Well.. I tend not to spend hours and hours on "About this Mac" to prove witness the lag.
On normal daily usage environment, it's unnoticeable. and after upgrading to 10.11, the animations respond quicker.

If your work requires you to resize your window every 10 seconds and make a fuss about it, that's too bad.

Yet still despite screen capturing, OP can smoothly resize window to the right. :D Besides, GPU power =/= VRAM.

So from "no lag whatsoever" you've gone to "just ignore the lag". Ok, fine - I'm not wasting my time anymore.

OP has proven his point and no reality distortion field is going to warp it into non-existance.

Reactions: KALLT

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The only thing that I find slow is shutdown.

It opens SO FAST. Yesterday I switched the computer on, reached for my mobile to check notifications and didn't manage to because the system already opened. Whoa.

Shutdown, on the other hand... first apps get unloaded, then the spinning wheel appears and hangs around casually for a bit, and then the screen goes black but the computer is NOT off for another... 20-30 seconds. That's a new feature in the GM for me.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009

Look at how VMukhtarov resizes window just pulling it to the right and than compare it to double click on title bar. There's huge difference but it doesn't render computer useless.

I guess it's due to use of some antiquated framework/method. The same applied to "About this Mac" that lagged terribly until they fixed it in Yosemite.
No, it's due to the fact that resizing is a demanding tasks that requires a lot of redrawing by the CPU (the GPU isn't much used for that). The framework used is Quartz, which is not particularly antiquated (it is frequently updated). Apple could have done as windows XP did: without double buffering. It would be faster but with lots of redrawing artifacts.
On my 3.5 GHz i7 iMac running Mavericks, resizing a finder window with lots of columns is far from perfectly smooth 60 fps. The OP hasn't even said what Mac he's using, but if it's a MBA, 10.11 doesn't look particularly slow at the task, especially considering the CPU usage of the screen capture itself.

And to answer the OP's question: why don't you post the same video with your Mac running Mavericks? If you find it a significantly better experience overall, feel free to downgrade.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

The resize animation appears to use an ease-in transition. Also, the layout updates happen at certain threshold. Together, this can create an impression of lag. But I don't see any proper lag in those examples (although Console can be a bit laggy sometimes). As an example of real lag, try resizing App Store (which btw. is much smoother in 10.11 than it was in any previous OS X).

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
The resize animation appears to use an ease-in transition. Also, the layout updates happen at certain threshold. Together, this can create an impression of lag. But I don't see any proper lag in those examples (although Console can be a bit laggy sometimes). As an example of real lag, try resizing App Store (which btw. is much smoother in 10.11 than it was in any previous OS X).
The App Store is still pretty laggy when resizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.