Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I made a small video
What to do? Downgrade to Mavericks?

Resizing always does that for me on all my macs. I think the lag we say is improved has to do with the animations like minimizing a window.

I wish it didn't do it but that is the only area I have it, even on my MacBook.

As mentioned above the cpu is involved in this.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
No, this is called an-n-nim-m-mat-tion.

It's been like this since that resizing animation was added in Lion. I am on a MacBook Air 2014 running Mavericks, and the exact same lag occurs.

So I don't think downgrading would help either. It would be better just to turn that "an-n-nim-m-mat-tion" off through some sort of hidden configuration (or if there isn't one, write a SIMBL patch) and revert window resizing to Snow Leopard behavior.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Reactions: vista980622

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
The only lagging i have is sometimes in iTunes, but i have a rather large library. Apart from that, no problems at all. I have a Late 2012 iMac.

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Strange, on same computer Safari, Mail etc., and even third party apps like Coda are butter smooth, but Console is indeed choppy.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
That should not happen on a 2012 machine. My 2009 MacBook Pro has no issues running El Cap. And I did notice the lag when it was running Yosemite.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
It’s been like that ever since Lion or Mountain Lion, I can’t remember exactly. Snow Leopard was the last smooth OS release for me, although El Capitan has improved everything quite a bit. However, I use a 2008 MacBook so I accept this. On a 2012 MacBook, I would not and I would certainly not accept it on a 2015 MacBook.

Just out of interest: having a 2007 MBP (2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM) still on Snow Leopard myself, would you sugest/advise to upgrade to El Capitan? Apart from the advantages, what would/could be the drawbacks, especially performances-wise?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I don't have any of this lag. For me El Capitan is a VAST improvement over Yosemite, and the GM for me is such smoother and more responsive than the previous Developer Preview. Apple really worked hard on El Cap IMO.

I agree, it was instantly noticeable after upgrade on my Mac Pro.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
When I upgraded to El Cap beta on my 2012 MacBook Pro I seen lag and choppy transitions in mission control, while everyone else was saying how fast and great it was. It got better after each release. Then the GM was released and it is now noticeably better then Yosemite on my MacBook Pro. Then I upgraded my classic Mac Pro and it flies! I am not disappointed.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Just out of interest: having a 2007 MBP (2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM) still on Snow Leopard myself, would you sugest/advise to upgrade to El Capitan? Apart from the advantages, what would/could be the drawbacks, especially performances-wise?

4 GB RAM is really on the edge. I have upgraded to 8 GB RAM and I frequently have about 200 MB of swap. I also strongly recommend an SSD before you upgrade. A MBP will probably perform better than my MacBook, so I can’t really tell. But overall the system just isn’t as smooth anymore; animations are sometimes stuttery, applications take a bit longer to load. I wouldn’t recommend Snow Leopard to anyone though, it’s too old by now.

Lazeran

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
I watched your video two times. Where exactly is this 'lag' you are talking about? Are you referring to the fact that resizes are not instantaneous? This is called 'animation' ;)

No it's not an animation, it's definitely lagging. I used both mavericks and el capitan i can easily say that on the older machines mavericks has a faster gui, on the later 2012 machines they have pretty similar speeds.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I keep seeing people talking about "smoothness" and sure El Cap is. But there is a big cursor lag in the GM1 build in every app. It's bigger than it should be. And Finder performance with very large image files (file size not image dimension!) is appalling. I'm glad someone uploaded a video instead of just typing random words online. I'll be uploading videos too soon but I'm going to wait for Sept 30 to give Apple a chance to optimise.

Last edited:

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
4 GB RAM is really on the edge. I have upgraded to 8 GB RAM and I frequently have about 200 MB of swap. I also strongly recommend an SSD before you upgrade. A MBP will probably perform better than my MacBook, so I can’t really tell. But overall the system just isn’t as smooth anymore; animations are sometimes stuttery, applications take a bit longer to load. I wouldn’t recommend Snow Leopard to anyone though, it’s too old by now.

Thanks. 4GB is this model's max, unfortunately, but will look into SSD upgrade first.

braid

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
I feel a little bit of mouse lag on El Cap too. The UI lag for me is better (I tend to notice it very much) than Yosemite, but I'm very curious to compare it with Mavericks... I guess I'll roll back to it sometime...

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
It's impossible to have an modern operating system without cursor lag. Some apps that display simple content with all have less lag that apps that display more complex content. Just think of how many processes are going on inside the window whenever you are scaling a window. Even Windows 10 has lag in the most complex apps.

It's something we have to live with. There are other more serious issues related to opening or displaying thumbnails large files, opening them and large numbers of files. These can be optimised much better.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I don't have any of this lag and I hate lag and spot lag. iOS 9 is laggy but not the new OS X.

Maybe your RAM or processor is not up to spec, wearing out or faulty? Slow macs also tend to be hard drive issues too.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Also, why don't you wait and try out El Capitan in the Apple Store on the newer models.

I think you might be slightly over-obsessing.

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
The only thing which sometimes is lagging on my iMac is scrolling in iTunes. I have a rather big music library but with 10.10 there was no lagging at all. Apart from iTunes i don't have any performance issues at all. (i7 iMac late 2012)

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Person 1 : I have terrible lag everywhere!
Person 2 : I have no lag!
Person 3 : Light apps will have a little lag. Heavier apps will have more lag. The age of your system will dictate how much. Here's some evidence instead of my anecdote.

Which view would you say is reasonable and believable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.