Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
It didn't fail, it was just as good. Please tell me how many times you've needed to know the height requirement for Space Mountain.

It failed on a lot more of the questions that Google Now nailed perfectly. It also didn't understand him correctly several times although he was speaking slowly and clearly. So yea, it failed.

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Yeah. I have pretty much the same thoughts, although the fact that Siri doesn't know things such as the height requirement for Space Mountain doesn't bother because I would never need to know that.

It's not about Now knowing the height requirement. It's about Now having the CAPABILITY to tell you something so off the wall. That's what is so impressive. That's a far-fetched question, and Now handled it without a hitch.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It failed on a lot more of the questions that Google Now nailed perfectly. So yea, it failed.

Again, it's because Siri isn't programmed to search Google for answers. If it was, it would nail each answer too. It failed in the sense that it didn't know the answer, but that's not because it just didn't know, it's because it wasn't coded to search for answers on Google (it will if you tell it to, but it won't automatically).

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Again, it's because Siri isn't programmed to search Google for answers. If it was, it would nail each answer too. It failed in the sense that it didn't know the answer, but that's not because it just didn't know, it's because it wasn't coded to search for answers on Google (it will if you tell it to, but it won't automatically).

Valid point. Well, seeing as how 99.9% of the population searches with Google and not Wolfram Alpha, Google Now easily wins this comparison. Next.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
...and if I search Google with Siri for the height requirement, I get the same answer as Google Now: 3' 4" (1.02 m)

Sure it's impressive that it knows it and Siri doesn't but that's because all Google Now does is search Google. If Siri automatically searched Google without you asking and returned an answer, it would work 100% like Google Now.

----------

Valid point. Well, seeing as how 99.9% of the population searches with Google and not Wolfram Alpha, Google Now easily wins this comparison. Next.

It's not really a huge win for Google Now because Siri can search Google too at my request.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Not only is Siri much slower and can't do flights, she also doesn't know much. All you have to do is watch the "knowledge" section around the 9 min mark. Fail.

Had he added the word "Google" in front, the results would have been identical. Here's what I got 1 second after saying, "Google US Airways Flight 400"

Mo0i1l.png

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I just find it awesome that he pulled up Coal Vines in Dallas. Right by my place and I took a date there a couple of weeks ago. :D

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Had he added the word "Google" in front, the results would have been identical. Here's what I got 1 second after saying, "Google US Airways Flight 400"

So an Apple product needs to depend on Google to be the most efficient? Oh the irony :)

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
So an Apple product needs to depend on Google to be the most efficient? Oh the irony :)

It makes sense if you think about it. Apple isn't going to integrate Google technology into their flagship phone's flagship feature.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's not really a huge win for Google Now because Siri can search Google too at my request.

While Siri wastes time saying "let me think about that" , "this might answer your question" , "here you go" etc, Google reads the actual answer to you. Also doesn't need confirmation to perform a google search, just does it.

Not a huge win but a win nonetheless (in the speed department).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Wolfram Alpha does flights. You obviously didn't read the description like the video said. iOS 6 is also a beta version and iOS 5 is much faster, which is ALSO in the description that you didn't read.

It wasnt bad but i dont get why you cant see that Google Now was much better. Many web searches from Siri as well where Google Now gave the answer. It wasnt really near as good but wearing rose colored glasses, you wont see that.....obviously.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

So now that you've acknowledged the results are identical, you've moved on to that?

Doesn't bother me at all. It would take a whole new level of fanboy to stop using Google Search because they make a competing phone :)

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Had he added the word "Google" in front, the results would have been identical. Here's what I got 1 second after saying, "Google US Airways Flight 400.

Thanks for that :) here's the Space Mountain example if you say "yes" to her asking you if you want to search the web.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 69

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
While Siri wastes time saying "let me think about that" , "this might answer your question" , "here you go" etc, Google reads the actual answer to you. Also doesn't need confirmation to perform a google search, just does it.

I can agree with this. I'd like to see Apple trim some of the fat off of Siri. I'd also like to see Siri get powered locally. I think uploading the data for translation over the net is a big part of the problem.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

If you set "Voice Feedback" to "HandsFree Only", Siri doesn't ask to confirm. I'm not sure what the default is, but that's what I use. I've tested the US Airways Flight 400 question about 5 times, and each time the result pops up within a second of me saying it, and I'm not on Wifi.

Maybe I need to make a video :p

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It wasnt bad but i dont get why you cant see that Google Now was much better. Many web searches from Siri as well where Google Now gave the answer. It wasnt really near as good but wearing rose colored glasses, you wont see that.....obviously.

how can I say it's much better when I can do the same exact thing and get the same exact answers with Siri?

----------

If you set "Voice Feedback" to "HandsFree Only", Siri doesn't ask to confirm. I'm not sure what the default is, but that's what I use. I've tested the US Airways Flight 400 question about 5 times, and each time the result pops up within a second of me saying it, and I'm not on Wifi.

I see what you're saying. Just tried it. I'd use that, but I want the voice feedback. :p

----------

I can agree with this. I'd like to see Apple trim some of the fat off of Siri. I'd also like to see Siri get powered locally. I think uploading the data for translation over the net is a big part of the problem.

Make sense since Android integrates with Google / is by Google. :confused:

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011

Excellent find. I did not know about this. I'll add that into the YouTube description of my video.

The only drawback I see is that if you ask to call a local business and it ends up being the wrong one, she'll go ahead and call anyway before confirming. (Unless, of course, you catch it in time.)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Thanks for that :) here's the Space Mountain example if you say "yes" to her asking you if you want to search the web.

Add the word "Google" in front of your question, it won't ask you to confirm. I just did it and got an answer within a second.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
So now that you've acknowledged the results are identical, you've moved on to that?

Doesn't bother me at all. It would take a whole new level of fanboy to stop using Google Search because they make a competing phone :)

Not what he said but you do love to twist things when it goes in your favor. Fight like hell when it dont :rolleyes:

You must be a Lawyer

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Excellent find. I did not know about this. I'll add that into the YouTube description of my video.

The only drawback I see is that if you ask to call a local business and it ends up being the wrong one, she'll go ahead and call anyway before confirming. (Unless, of course, you catch it in time.)

When calling businesses, it will still ask you to confirm which one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.