Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
In iOS 6.0, you can manually enter an address in the Reminders app to create a geofence. You can't search for businesses within it though, and Siri cannot create geofences for businesses either, at least for me. Even if I say "remind me when I arrive at [address]," she adds that to the reminder name and doesn't create a geofence.

That's a slight improvement I guess

----------

Darn I was hoping she'd remind me when I got to the store. Because I build up my lists over the week or weeks. And when I think of it, it'd be nice to continually add to one list and have it for me when I get to a specific location

Ok, gave it a little test.

I told Siri to "create a note titled grocery list and add milk bread and butter to it". She did, verbatim I might add...so leave out the "and" and "too" when you create add to the list. Just to get her off topic, I asked for the time, then went back to adding items to the grocery list note. Other than mistaking 'chessesticks' for 'cheesesteaks', adding items to an existing note worked great. After coming back to add a few items, I said "remind me to look at the grocery list note when I leave" (because I don't have a grocery store saved in contacts) and that worked just fine.

If being reminded to look at your list when you arrive at the grocery store is something you really need, you should definitely put whatever stores you frequent in your contacts so you can just say "when I arrive at giant eagle", or wherever, instead of setting the reminder for "when I leave".

But, either way, looks like there's a good solution for you.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
You aren't understanding that if I ask Siri to search Google to answer a question, I'll get THE EXACT SAME RESPONSE as Google Now.

No, you won't. It didn't understand him several times although he was speaking slower and more clear than any human being would and Siri totally failed the Worcester thing as well as other things. Not nearly as polished, precise or speedy. Back to work you go Apple. Maybe by the time the iPhone has something relevant like 4G and a screen bigger than a 90s dumb phone, we can move on.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
No, you won't. It didn't understand him several times although he was speaking slower and more clear than any human being would and Siri totally failed the Worcester thing as well as other things. Not nearly as polished, precise or speedy. Back to work you go Apple. Maybe by the time the iPhone has something relevant like 4G and a screen bigger than a 90s dumb phone, we can move on.

I'm not sure what you mean, if the iPhone gets LTE and a screen bigger than a 90's smart phone, we can move on to what?

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean, if the iPhone gets LTE and a screen bigger than a 90's smart phone, we can move on to what?

comparing it to big boy phones. You don't find it sad that $50 Android phones have bigger screens, 4G, SD card slots, removable batteries etc..and a so called premium phone doesn't? You don't think its sad that a cheap POS Android phone can be customized a million ways but you can't even do something as simple as change the default browser or manage your files on an iPhone? I find it ridiculous. Thats why its the only Apple product (aside from the Mac Pro) that I got rid of and no longer own.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
That's a slight improvement I guess

----------

Ok, gave it a little test.

I told Siri to "create a note titled grocery list and add milk bread and butter to it". She did, verbatim I might add...so leave out the "and" and "too" when you create add to the list. Just to get her off topic, I asked for the time, then went back to adding items to the grocery list note. Other than mistaking 'chessesticks' for 'cheesesteaks', adding items to an existing note worked great. After coming back to add a few items, I said "remind me to look at the grocery list note when I leave" (because I don't have a grocery store saved in contacts) and that worked just fine.

If being reminded to look at your list when you arrive at the grocery store is something you really need, you should definitely put whatever stores you frequent in your contacts so you can just say "when I arrive at giant eagle", or wherever, instead of setting the reminder for "when I leave".

But, either way, looks like there's a good solution for you.

Oh wow, thank you very much. I appreciate it!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
comparing it to big boy phones. You don't find it sad that $50 Android phones have bigger screens, 4G, SD card slots, removable batteries etc..and a so called premium phone doesn't? You don't think its sad that a cheap POS Android phone can be customized a million ways but you can't even do something as simple as change the default browser or manage your files on an iPhone? I find it ridiculous. Thats why its the only Apple product (aside from the Mac Pro) that I got rid of and no longer own.

Some of us don't tie our manhood to the size of our phone or how many doohickey's it has. Apple has their way of thinking about how computing should be done. I don't find anything sad about either choice. You make your decision and I'll make mine. It's been a LONG time (high school) since peer pressure had any meaningful effect on me.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

If you were an app developer and wanted to maximize profits, but could only choose a single platform, would you choose iOS or Android?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Except in the video he wasn't searching google or telling it to search google. There you go again, bashing Apple. You're ridiculous.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You can say it like that if you have whatever grocery store you want to go to stored in your contacts. Since most people don't want to have unneccesary entries in their contacts list, it's easier to say "remind me to () when I leave".

Just did a little test to see how Siri would respond with "Remind me to pick up milk when I get to Giant Eagle". Siri's reply is "I don't understand...." "I can remind you when you leave, when you arrive at a place, or at a certain time" Me: "remind me when I arrive at Giant Eagle". Siri still didn't understand.

I don't know why Siri can only access your contacts and not, say, do a google search for giant eagle and find some in the area and allow the user to select which one they want. I mean, you can say, "is there a giant eagle near me?" and Siri can find that.

Mr. Batting1000, is this something that Siri is capable of in 6.0?

Nope. I actually tried it earlier when we were on the subject and it didn't work.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Lol. Even in an iPhone which you would never need it for.

What about the iPhone makes a removable battery "not needed"? I carry around a portable battery pack when I have my iPhone for the times of heavy use when I need an extra charge. It doesn't happen terribly frequently (nor does it on the GNex), but it certainly would be convenient to slip a small fully charged battery in the phone rather than carrying around a bulky battery pack. As a general rule, the people that need a removable battery on Android and other devices are probably going to need one on the iPhone too.

----------

If you were an app developer and wanted to maximize profits, but could only choose a single platform, would you choose iOS or Android?

Depends on a few things. Games? iOS. Something that utilizes technology such as NFC? Android. Perhaps I want to do something that Apple does not allow me to do (edit keyboards, dialers, etc.); the obvious choice here is Android again. Since the most profitable and most numerous apps on both stores tend to be games, I can understand why that is basically synonymous with app development though.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
What about the iPhone makes a removable battery "not needed"? I carry around a portable battery pack when I have my iPhone for the times of heavy use when I need an extra charge. It doesn't happen terribly frequently (nor does it on the GNex), but it certainly would be convenient to slip a small fully charged battery in the phone rather than carrying around a bulky battery pack. As a general rule, the people that need a removable battery on Android and other devices are probably going to need one on the iPhone too.

Easy enough. Anyone that serious and hungry for power will rock a Mophie.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
He wants removable batteries in a phone. That should tell you everything.

Whats wrong with wanting that? I dont see how being able to change your battery is a bad thing. NOT being able is though. If you need to replace your battery, it will cost you $100 minimum from Apple.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Whats wrong with wanting that? I dont see how being able to change your battery is a bad thing. NOT being able is though. If you need to replace your battery, it will cost you $100 minimum from Apple.

if you're within your warranty, Apple will replace it for free and most of the time they'll replace it for free out of warranty.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Easy enough. Anyone that serious and hungry for power will rock a Mophie.

While I don't disagree, this is hardly the option people who want a removable battery are asking for. That was my point entirely. Just because a given user doesn't feel the iPhone could use a removable battery doesn't mean nobody could possibly want said battery. personally the mophie is too clunky for my taste. I either need to leave it on at all times (and make my iPhone feel like it ate a couple dozen donuts) or I have to fiddle with slipping it on. I am sure this is nice for some. I don't prefer it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

It's not a bad thing but iPhones have NEVER had removable batteries and people have gotten along just fine.

The issue with mbell is that he apparently wants everything to be more difficult. A phone isn't a "real" phone unless you have to manage SD cards and removable batteries.

Sorry. That crap works for geeks but the average American just wants the device to do what they want without making them jump through flaming hoops.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
While I don't disagree, this is hardly the option people WANT. That was my point entirely. Just because a given user doesn't feel the iPhone could use a removable battery doesn't mean nobody could possibly want said battery. personally the mophie is too clunky for my taste. I either need to leave it on at all times (and make my iPhone feel like it ate a couple dozen donuts) or I have to fiddle with slipping it on. I am sure this is nice for some. I don't prefer it.

Well sorry for them. Phones aren't designed with the mindset that everyone using it will be playing games 24/7 and watching movies one after another. With average use, pretty much every phone out there now will last a full day.

Look at the Droid Razr. There's the regular one and the Maxx which has a beefier battery which also makes it slightly thicker.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It's not a bad thing but iPhones have NEVER had removable batteries and people have gotten along just fine.

The issue with mbell is that he apparently wants everything to be more difficult. A phone isn't a "real" phone unless you have to manage SD cards and removable batteries.

Sorry. That crap works for geeks but the average American just wants the device to do what they want without making them jump through flaming hoops.

This.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

It goes deeper than the notion of the average American.

It's what Apple has been striving for from the beginning. To take all the guess work out of computing and just leave the users intent to consider.

People and trolls that expect Apple to suddenly change direction after following the same core concept for 30 years just don't get it.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
So you guys buy electronics that have limited or no options on them? You watch your TV on the setting that comes from the factory because they know best? You don't customize your computers at all? You just run them as they come? Must be great fun.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well sorry for them. Phones aren't designed with the mindset that everyone using it will be playing games 24/7 and watching movies one after another. With average use, pretty much every phone out there now will last a full day.

Look at the Droid Razr. There's the regular one and the Maxx which has a beefier battery which also makes it slightly thicker.

FWIW I don't do any of that. I have to take many phone calls, and answer a couple hundred texts and emails a day. I am simply saying I can see things from other's point of view is all. Nobody is asking Apple to develop a phone that is pleasing to everyone in every way, shape, and form. That doesn't mean that a person who would like a removable battery shouldn't voice his/her opinion, does it?

----------

So you guys buy electronics that have limited or no options on them? You watch your TV on the setting that comes from the factory because they know best? You don't customize your computers at all? You just run them as they come? Must be great fun.

Actually, I am pretty sure most people do just that, lol.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
While I don't disagree, this is hardly the option people who want a removable battery are asking for. That was my point entirely. Just because a given user doesn't feel the iPhone could use a removable battery doesn't mean nobody could possibly want said battery. personally the mophie is too clunky for my taste. I either need to leave it on at all times (and make my iPhone feel like it ate a couple dozen donuts) or I have to fiddle with slipping it on. I am sure this is nice for some. I don't prefer it.

Your concerns are secondary to irrelevenf if the demands on power are so high that a person needs extra juice on the go.

And slipping on a Mophie takes about as much effort as changing your battery and subjecting your phone to more handling wear and tear.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

You say "have to", I say "have the option to". There is a VERY big difference there, though I won't go anywhere as far as claiming the iPhone isn't a real phone. I am saying I would find utility in both of those options if they were made available to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.