Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neo30i

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Android OEMs have the choice to implant security features on Hardware or Software. Many of them in order to save cost choose to use software instead of chips making it easier to hack (for example where all your passwords are saved!)

Yeah maybe in full specs and none modified ROM Android stands a better chance but not after what the OEMs do with it :D

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
LOL, another fandroid on MacRumors.

Please take some time in learning about the security of iOS devices.

I don't see where he was saying iOS is not secure?

People are so quick to defend Apple at every opportunity that they don't even read posts in full before jumping to post about how much better iOS is.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Apple deniers in full force but as a dev he is right. The only time security becomes an issue with android is with custom roms kernels and radios.

iOS just can't be customized at all. Most stock roms on android are super secure, very similar to iOS.

iOS is designed primarily for the average non Savvy user but that's fine it's a good OS for day to day tasks.

You are right, random internet person... All these security developers at the conference laughing don't know what they are laughing about.:rolleyes:

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Of course he is correct

Like every leader with a house of risky card, he won't lie, right?
Just like when Kenneth Lay talk about Enron in 2001
"There are no accounting issues, no trading issues, no reserve issues, no previously unknown problem issues. I think I can honestly say that the company(Enron) is probably in the strongest and best shape that it has probably ever been in."
Or the most famous sentences in 1998:
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
:D
BTW: Anyone want to buy some Google stock? I want to sell now. :p

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
This is the type of news that requires a video embedded! :D

Absolutely! I'd love to see a video of this audience smackdown.

ES looks and sounds like a psychopathic douchebag turd. The sort of person that lies and steals to fuel his ego and position and manipulates those around him to bend them to his will. The sort of person that can't be trusted.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Absolutely! I'd love to see a video of this audience smackdown.

ES looks and sounds like a psychopathic douchebag turd. The sort of person that lies and steals to fuel his ego and position and manipulates those around him to bend them to his will. The sort of person that can't be trusted.

You just described Ballmer :D

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I had to laugh too when reading.

I have to use Android due to business reasons - almost every app is forbidden due to security concerns. Once this ecosystem is installed with no entry to the Playstore at all, yes it is almost safe :rolleyes:

Loved my iPhone....

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Because all a "tech savvy" person wants to do is dick around customizing their phone all day long, obviously!

----------

Didn't you know? "Tech savvy" == customized phones!

A tech savvy person doesn't have to customize his/her phone, but omitting such features do no favors to a savvy individual. Instead, it protects the general consumer from messing with settings they have no idea about

I personally don't care for themes... But it would be nice to have root access to my phone and to be able to make simple modifications like changing default applications. Being able to side load apps is also handy. I also like having some choice as to what the capabilities of the phone are (obviously not as much as a PC).

For whatever it's worth, I only own iOS devices so far (though I am borrowing my uncle's spare VZW GS3 for his unlimited LTE tethering while I travel)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think we're being punked. I think it was Schmidt from "New Girl," because he's got all sorts of Schmidt on his face from saying that.

AnIPadDude

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
This is the worst article I've ever read. It is unclear in many ways. Also, you should state who the DB is.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010

Sounds a lot like a former CEO at Apple....

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
He must have never used Chrome on a Nexus 7 (2012). What a flaming pile. It took like a year for Google to fix most of the problems, but even on a Nexus 7 (2013) there are still some sites that Chrome chokes on. The same sites that the old Android Browser displays with ease.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Eric Schmidt is in his own Reality Distortion Feild :)

He had a great example in Steve Jobs. :)

----------

He must have never used Chrome on a Nexus 7 (2012). What a flaming pile. It took like a year for Google to fix most of the problems, but even on a Nexus 7 (2013) there are still some sites that Chrome chokes on. The same sites that the old Android Browser displays with ease.

Provide the URL's for proof. Sounds like someone's telling stories. I have 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7's my experience has been quite good.

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011

This. The thing about an open source platform is that it's much more secure simply because exploits are found constantly and patched (short zero days). With a closed platform, the company has to wait for the exploits and patch them as they come up (long zero days). Just look at Linux vs. Windows, open-source always wins in terms of security. What you are all laughing at and referring to is not an exploit, but a failure on OEM's side to use the more secure platform effectively. By forking and closing their own versions of Android, they effectively eliminate the aforementioned benefit. iOS is more intuitive in creating a secure environment for the end user and I'd say that's much more important. Schmidt was getting off on a technicality in this case and it really only applies to stock Google phones.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Couldn't happen to a nicer suit.

Every time I see Eric Schmidt, I just think of what Google used to be like prior to 2005 or so, before his influence in the company became a lot more apparent and Google took such a hard turn toward being yet another corporate America behemoth. Google was truly more Apple-ish than Apple was back then, but they somehow lost their way and turned into something a lot more like Microsoft. Hard not to lay that at Schmidt's feet. Just makes me sad.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Couldn't happen to a nicer suit.

Every time I see Eric Schmidt, I just think of what Google used to be like prior to 2005 or so, before his influence in the company became a lot more apparent and Google took such a hard turn toward being yet another corporate America behemoth. Google was truly more Apple-ish than Apple was back then, but they somehow lost their way and turned into something a lot more like Microsoft. Hard not to lay that at Schmidt's feet. Just makes me sad.

I remember touring Google with a friend who once worked there back in the "early" years. The campus reminded me of a cross between Pixar and Apple; everyone was casual, friendly (almost like a family), beautiful campus with "sleep pods" for napping or quiet work, younger general employee base who worked hard and was very creative yet laid back. It was Disney World for the IT industry.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Provide the URL's for proof. Sounds like someone's telling stories. I have 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7's my experience has been quite good.

I can still screw up ESPN.com. Scroll up and down. Be amazed by the random delay. Be amazed by the poor touch detection. You want more foot-in-your mouth?

And yes, I do own a Nexus 7 (2013).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.