Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I remember a long time ago (come to think of think it was October 2005. I remember the time as I'd just lost my wife and travelled down to London to visit my sister) I went to the London Film Festival (I even remember the film, it was "Be Here to Love Me" A film about Townes Van Zandt) and afterwards we went into an lovely Italian Coffee shop somewhere in Soho (I think) and had the most delicious coffee. I remember my sister's partner telling me it was one of the oldest (if not the oldest) coffee shops in London. I drank that black and it was wonderfully smooth and easy to drink. Not bitter at all.

I sometimes try an espresso at home but find it too quick to drink. I also find I need a dash of milk to take away the bitterness. I also find that they taste better after a few drinks!

Sounds like a memorable experience.

Very smooth, somewhat sweet, and lovely tasting coffees, (such as Ethiopian beans), especially when they are not over-roasted, can easily be drunk without adding milk or sugar, and are lovely.

Personally, I find that when I am at home, (or in northern Europe), I like the concept (and taste) of milky coffees in the morning, especially in winter. Thus, Hario dripper coffee with milk (or cream), or French Press with milk (or cream), or (when out) a cappuccino, or sometimes, even a latte. I think the Italian idea of milky coffees in the morning can work quite well.

To my mind, black coffee is more suited to summer, and - or - to after dinner drinking. And almost always, (usually because no milk is available) when abroad.

But, then, each to their own.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Going back to the Le Creuset cafetiere. What's so special about this as opposed to other cheaper cafetiere's? Is it just the nice look?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Going back to the Le Creuset cafetiere. What's so special about this as opposed to other cheaper cafetiere's? Is it just the nice look?

It looks terrific, either on the table or, resting on the hob, is very solidly built, and keeps the coffee warm for ages (once it has been heated in advance). It also doesn't retain flavours, and washes easily.

Personally, I also think the coffee that pours from it, tastes very good, too.

I am one of those people who subscribes to the idea that the materials you use in utensils, crockery, cutlery, influence how what you are eating - and drinking - taste.

Thus, I prefer proper crockery - a real cup made from china, porcelain, or - in the case of Le Creuset - stoneware, and will never willingly drink a tea or a coffee from paper or plastic (unless it is at an outdoor event).

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
It looks terrific, either on the table or, resting on the hob, is very solidly built, and keeps the coffee warm for ages (once it has been heated in advance). It also doesn't retain flavours, and washes easily.

Personally, I also think the coffee that pours from it, tastes very good, too.

I am one of those people who subscribes to the idea that the materials you use in utensils, crockery, cutlery, influence how what you are eating - and drinking - taste.

Thus, I prefer proper crockery - a real cup made from china, porcelain, or - in the case of Le Creuset - stoneware, and will never willingly drink a tea or a coffee from paper or plastic (unless it is at an outdoor event).

Ok thanks. One more question. Grinders. Recommendations?

Ps. Tea in a China cup is a must!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ok thanks. One more question. Grinders. Recommendations?

While I'm not the grinder expert on these threads, almost all of the others will advise you to get a proper burr grinder, rather than a bladed grinder.

My own grinder is a manual, OE Lido, grinder, - a burr grinder, but a manual burr grinder - and it is built like a tank, and is wonderfully indestructible.

Ps. Tea in a China cup is a must!

Agreed. But the same applies to coffee. If at all possible, - even when paper cups are the norm - I will try to have my coffee served in a proper cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Just got back from Italy, dang I miss good coffee! I have a Nesspresso machine, but it still doesn't hold a candle to a good espresso maker.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just got back from Italy, dang I miss good coffee! I have a Nesspresso machine, but it still doesn't hold a candle to a good espresso maker.

Agreed.

No, a Nespresso machine does not hold a candle, proverbial or otherwise, to a real cup of coffee made with real coffee.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed Italy. What a wonderful, and awesome country, culture, cuisine, history....

Now, that is a country which has elevated coffee making to an art form........

Reactions: daflake

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
And do you guys subscribe to the idea that coffee is best brewed with water at 75F or whatever it is?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And do you guys subscribe to the idea that coffee is best brewed with water at 75F or whatever it is?

75F? Some of my esteemed friends and peers on this thread have kettles that come equipped with thermometers - which leaves me slack jawed with stupefaction, and admiration. Then, some also weigh out coffee beans, prior to grinding.

I use a dessertspoon to measure out beans, or pre-ground coffee.

And, as for my kettle, well, - for now - my kettle is a perfectly ordinary - if pretty robust - De Longhi, and I boil the water. After letting it cool - a little - I use it for coffee.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
75F? Some of my esteemed friends and peers on this thread have kettles that come equipped with thermometers - which leaves me slack jawed with stupefaction, and admiration. Then, some also weigh out coffee beans, prior to grinding.

I use a dessertspoon to measure out beans, or pre-ground coffee.

And, as for my kettle, well, - for now - my kettle is a perfectly ordinary - if pretty robust - De Longhi, and I boil the water. After letting it cool - a little - I use it for coffee.

Yes, I tend to do the same. Whilst at work in the office I notice when someone boils the kettle and have a small window before the next boil. I'm quite good at getting there before the "next boil". Not scientific but not boiling water. Actually, I read somewhere that it takes 17 minutes for boiled water to cool down to 75 degrees and I admit that I've tried it at home but can't say I've noticed any difference.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I tend to do the same. Whilst at work in the office I notice when someone boils the kettle and have a small window before the next boil. I'm quite good at getting there before the "next boil". Not scientific but not boiling water. Actually, I read somewhere that it takes 17 minutes for boiled water to cool down to 75 degrees and I admit that I've tried it at home but can't say I've noticed any difference.

At the end of the day, I prefer my coffee hot, to warm, or lukewarm. So, I'll happily risk water that has recently (but not a definition of recently that means as long ago as 17 minutes) boiled in the interest of being able to drink hot coffee.

Re the Le Creuset mugs and coffee pots, it helps hugely if you heat them first (with boiling water) before putting coffee into them. They retain heat very well, but they do need to be heated first.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Do you Espresso enthusiasts take your coffee black? I only ask as some of my colleagues in the office say it's the only way to drink coffee. I usually like a latte or flat white but have always thought of taking the jump and going black. I suppose it'd just take a period of time for the old taste buds to adjust?

For me it depends, but the correct way to drink coffee is exactly how you like it.
[doublepost=1464292325][/doublepost]
Um, no I brew at 208F.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For me it depends, but the correct way to drink coffee is exactly how you like it.
[doublepost=1464292325][/doublepost]
Um, no I brew at 208F.

Yes. 208F is a lot more.......um, credible, in the circumstances.

A reference to a water temperature of 75F has me wondering where that came from. Even 75 C would have me wondering....

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Yes. 208F is a lot more.......um, credible, in the circumstances.

A reference to a water temperature of 75F has me wondering where that came from. Even 75 C would have me wondering....

Twas me. I must of meant C rather than F. See pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464296128.708806.jpg

Link; http://www.aeropress.co.uk/index.php/faq/

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Agreed.

No, a Nespresso machine does not hold a candle, proverbial or otherwise, to a real cup of coffee made with real coffee.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed Italy. What a wonderful, and awesome country, culture, cuisine, history....

Now, that is a country which has elevated coffee making to an art form........

Loved it! I lived in Germany for several years and made it to Italy a few times, it is one of my favorite countries. We visited Florence, Naples and Rome this round and I am certain I will be going back.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just walked up to my local Starbucks and bought some Kenyan beans which they grind for you for free (didn't know that?). Also they gave me a free latte! What a wonderful day!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464341698.288851.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464341750.894222.jpg

Sat now in the pleasant outdoors with my kindle. Bliss!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just walked up to my local Starbucks and bought some Kenyan beans which they grind for you for free (didn't know that?). Also they gave me a free latte! What a wonderful day! View attachment 633170

Actually, any place where you buy beans will grind them - or, ought to grind them - (for free). I will sometimes buy coffee beans in a store and - depending on how low my supply of pre-ground beans is - may ask them to grind them for me.

Indeed, one of my off licence wine managers will readily grind beans I have bought elsewhere for me, should the need arise; (and yes, in the interests of disclosure, I suppose I should add that I am a pretty good customer.)

But, yes, it is nice to know that Starbuck's do it, as well.
[doublepost=1464341953][/doublepost]
Sat now in the pleasant outdoors with my kindle. Bliss! View attachment 633171

A book, or a newspaper for me, in a similar setting, but yes, that is a lovely way to pass the time of day.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Actually, any place where you buy beans will grind them - or, ought to grind them - (for free). I will sometimes buy coffee beans in a store and - depending on how low my supply of pre-ground beans is - may ask them to grind them for me.

Indeed, one of my off licence wine managers will readily grind beans I have bought elsewhere for me, should the need arise; (and yes, in the interests of disclosure, I suppose I should add that I am a pretty good customer.)

But, yes, it is nice to know that Starbuck's do it, as well.
[doublepost=1464341953][/doublepost]

A book, or a newspaper for me, in a similar setting, but yes, that is a lovely way to pass the time of day.

Times? Telegraph? You seem like a Guardian man to me?

In Lancashire eh? Is that anywhere near Blackburn?
(No holes I can see) :p
Nice town.

Blackburn is about 30 miles away. Nice Day in the Life reference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.