Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As it is becoming more difficult to lay hands on good Ethiopian coffee (something to do with the season), today's coffee was a Rwandan 'Kamiro' (Nyamagabe, Local Bourbon Heirloom Washed).

This still had some of the notes of the Ethiopian that I like (bright, clear and clean), and was not over-roasted, but was a bit more 'robust' than one finds with Ethiopian coffees. Nevertheless, a sweet, and very nicely balanced, coffee.

Reactions: JamesMike

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
As it is becoming more difficult to lay hands on good Ethiopian coffee (something to do with the season), today's coffee was a Rwandan 'Kamiro' (Nyamagabe, Local Bourbon Heirloom Washed).

This still had some of the notes of the Ethiopian that I like (bright, clear and clean), and was not over-roasted, but was a bit more 'robust' than one finds with Ethiopian coffees. Nevertheless, a sweet, and very nicely balanced, coffee.

I've had a Rwandan coffee or two that were actually quite nice. I wish I could remember it precisely; it came as part of a sampler I ordered once.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I sampled, sipped and savoured another cup of Rwandan coffee today; it is very nice, but, to be quite honest, one does get rather spoiled when drinking Ethiopian coffee, and, I daresay that my heart lies with the coffee that comes from the highlands of Ethiopia.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was thinking about buying an entry level espresso machine (for both espresso and cappuccino).
Is this good? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=psdc_289748_t1_B001CNG7RY

Now, I have a Delonghi kettle (an excellent one), the sort that simply boils water for everything that requires boiled water, and it is first rate.

However, for coffee, personally, were I in the market for such a thing, - an entry level espresso machine - I would probably buy a coffee maker by a company that does nothing but manufacture coffee makers, such as, say, Gaggia.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaxomoxay

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Again, I was sipping Rwandan coffee this morning, and yesterday, had a blend made from Ethiopian and Brazilian beans. The sharpness of the Brazilian added an edgy note to the normal smooth, bright, clear, clean, notes of the Ethiopian coffee.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Now, I have a Delonghi kettle (an excellent one), the sort that simply boil water for everything that requires boiled water, and it is first rate.

However, for coffee, personally, were I in the market for such a thing, - and entry level espresso machine - I would probably buy a coffee maker by a company that does nothing but manufacture coffee makers, such as, say, Gaggia.

Thank you for your reply. I pulled the trigger on the DeLonghi, used (Like New), for $40. I just need something basic for now, and I couldn't justify the more expensive Gaggia to my wife.
Considering the amount of Starbucks I drink, I should make for the cost in a week or two.
I will consider buying a Gaggia later on, thanks for the tip!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Thank you for your reply. I pulled the trigger on the DeLonghi, used (Like New), for $40. I just need something basic for now, and I couldn't justify the more expensive Gaggia to my wife.
Considering the amount of Starbucks I drink, I should make for the cost in a week or two.
I will consider buying a Gaggia later on, thanks for the tip!
The Gaggia Baby Class is a great little machine to consider in the future. I've been pulling shots on it for a year or two now, and I'm loving it!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had a leisurely drive to Rochester, MI to make a stop at the Dessert Oasis Coffee Roasters. I wanted to get some fresh beans since I am all out of the last batch from Blue Bottle.

20160522_164502000_iOS.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had a leisurely drive to Rochester, MI to make a stop at the Dessert Oasis Coffee Roasters. I wanted to get some fresh beans since I am all out of the last batch from Blue Bottle.

View attachment 632452

Sounds like a lovely way to spend a Sunday; hope you really enjoy the beans.

What sort of beans are they, and where are they from?

Do you roast them yourself, or, do you buy them pre-roasted?

Anyway, detailed tasting notes will be gratefully received - and read with absorbed fascination - in due course.

These days, as I fear I may be running out of Ethiopian beans (they seem to be no longer in season, although the Ethiopian Coffee Company in London is still able to source them), I find myself blending them with other beans, if only to prolong their presence in my coffee....

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sounds like a lovely way to spend a Sunday; hope you really enjoy the beans.

What sort of beans are they, and where are they from?

Do you roast them yourself, or, do you buy them pre-roasted?

Did the photo I posted not show up on your end? (I know sometimes you have computer issues with this site) It has all the answers you are asking.

Anyway, detailed tasting notes will be gratefully received - and read with absorbed fascination - in due course.

Had a cup and it tasted fantastic. It wasn't too acidic which is the way I like it and had a slight sweetness to it which I enjoyed. The smell, as most coffees I get, was beautiful after grinding.

These days, as I fear I may be running out of Ethiopian beans (they seem to be no longer in season, although the Ethiopian Coffee Company in London is still able to source them), I find myself blending them with other beans, if only to prolong their presence in my coffee....

You've been a big fan of the Ethiopian beans for a while now. I'm sure you'll be able to continue getting them, if not from your favorite place, but other reputable sellers I hope.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Did the photo I posted not show up on your end? (I know sometimes you have computer issues with this site) It has all the answers you are asking.

Had a cup and it tasted fantastic. It wasn't too acidic which is the way I like it and had a slight sweetness to it which I enjoyed. The smell, as most coffees I get, was beautiful after grinding.

You've been a big fan of the Ethiopian beans for a while now. I'm sure you'll be able to continue getting them, if not from your favorite place, but other reputable sellers I hope.

My apologies; and thank you for asking about the image - yes, to reassure you, it was re-produced perfectly..

Actually, I had perched my glasses on my nose, but found myself peering closely at the screen over them - which I sometimes stupidly do when online, especially when the sharp angle of a setting sun blinds me - and just saw nice, dark brown beans - I hadn't noticed the name Kenyan (Kenya Gatina) written on the packet.......

Anyway, I am in complete agreement re acidity; I don't much care for coffees that are too acidic, or bitter, or over roasted. Glad to hear that this was smooth, and slightly sweet.

And yes, that scent, that aroma, from freshly ground coffee, is sublime......

People (in the coffee world) who know of my love of Ethiopian beans have suggested that coffees and beans from other parts of Africa - Kenya, and Rwanda were the two mentioned in particular - might meet with my approval.

Well, as much of the available Ethiopian coffee is seasonal, candidly, I don't expect to be able to lay hands on a wide variety of the stuff until autumn.
[doublepost=1463943100][/doublepost]On blending, I'd love to try a blend of the African coffees - a Kenyan and Ethiopian, or a highly rated Rwandan with Ethiopian.

Most of the commercial blends I have seen are either Brazilian, or coffees from El Salvador, blended with Ethiopian.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
People (in the coffee world) who know of my love of Ethiopian beans have suggested that coffees and beans from other parts of Africa - Kenya, and Rwanda were the two mentioned in particular - might meet with my approval.
I tend to agree with that sentiment. I've found that the African beans, in general, are my favorites. Beans I've had from Central and South America have been okay, but not outstanding to me. The only exception has been Colombian beans. But even then, it depends on the season and quite possibly the farms too, if the Colombian beans meet my threshold for being outstanding. Some batches have met that standard and many more have not. So with the Colombian beans, its usually a crap shoot if I'm going to get an excellent one or just an okay one.

The local roaster I visited today had some Colombian beans on the list, but they were all out on the shelf, so I opted for the Kenyan beans as a second choice.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, in recent years, the only non-African coffee that has really blown me away - though I didn't get any last year - was the superb Los Inmortales from El Salvador (courtesy of Intelligentsia Coffee).

I stopped getting it because the transport costs were astronomical, - not because the coffee wasn't good - (it was good, in fact, it was excellent) but also because I was able to source Ethiopian coffee from London which cost far less.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think I recall seeing some beans from El Salvador on the shelf today too. I just didn't consider them when I saw the Kenyan's available siting next to them. Perhaps on my next visit, if they're available still, I'll try them.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think I recall seeing some beans from El Salvador on the shelf today too. I just didn't consider them when I saw the Kenyan's available siting next to them. Perhaps on my next visit, if they're available still, I'll try them.

Well, just as you have written that your experiences with Colombian beans were variable, to say the least, I would have to report the same with beans from El Salvador.

However, I did buy the Los Inmortales quite a bit in 2013, and 2014 and thought it stunning; rich, and luscious, - but not heavy, - with a lovely depth of flavour - yet both balanced and sweet, and absolutely nothing acidic or bitter.

Yet, none of the other coffees from El Salvador (and some were very good, but they lacked that intangible element of 'je ne said quoi'') - also imported (by me) at outrageous transport costs - came near it for that superb quality, and nor did the Bolivians, or Colombians or any of the others from Central and South America that Intelligentsia produce.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well, just as you have written that your experiences with Colombian beans were variable, to say the least, I would have to report the same with beans from El Salvador.

However, I did buy the Los Inmortales quite a bit in 2013, and 2014 and thought it stunning; rich, and luscious, - but not heavy, - with a lovely depth of flavour - yet both balanced and sweet, and absolutely nothing acidic or bitter.

Yet, none of the other coffees from El Salvador (and some were very good, but they lacked that intangible element of 'je ne said quoi'') - also imported (by me) at outrageous transport costs - came near it for that superb quality, and nor did the Bolivians, or Colombians or any of the others from Central and South America that Intelligentsia produce.
Well now you've got me intrigued.

I just placed an order for *Los Inmortales* El Salvador from Intelligentsia.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well now you've got me intrigued.

I just placed an order for *Los Inmortales* El Salvador from Intelligentsia.

I'll confess that - as my supplies of Ethiopian are running rather low - I am rather tempted myself, as I spotted it on the Intelligentsia website a few days ago.

Again, it is a seasonal coffee, and so, should be around for a few months, but, once the season ends, the coffee is not available until the following year.

Yes, I'll readily concede that I am sorely thinking of gritting my teeth, and suffering the ludicrous transport costs (the coffee itself is perfectly reasonably priced) as this is really very good coffee. (To my mind).

Everyone I served it to loved it, including both brothers.

Anyway, I'll await your observations with great interest.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I suspect it should arrive later this week. If I don't like it, I shall squarely blame you. :p haha.

Actually, I imagine I will like it since you and I have very similar tastes for coffee. :)

Fair enough. Full - squared - blame accepted in advance.

I sincerely hope that you like it, though, and I look forward to your tasting notes and observations. Until last year, it was one of my personal favourites, and, as mentioned, a big hit with anyone to whom I served it.

However, more to the point, I haven't had any of the Los Inmortales since I lost my heart to Ethiopian coffee, and I am curious to see how I would like it now, in the light of my somewhat changed preferences.

Okay: You can squarely blame me if you don't like it, but, if you do report that you like it, I will bite the bullet of outrageous transport costs and order some for myself.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.