Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Personally, I wouldn't buy a coffee machine, or an espresso machine (a coffee pot is an entirely different matter) that was five years old.

If it were tendered as a gift, even then, I would have considerable doubts about accepting it.

Such things - and choices - are entirely subjective, but I would buy new, or not at all. But, maybe, that is just me.

I agree entirely. A grinder is one thing...as long as the motor is sound, the burrs can always be replaced, if necessary.

An coffee machine is an entirely different matter. Especially an espresso machine, with a possibility of deposits or corrosion of the heating element, corrosion of the boiler, inconsistency in the pump, and so many other things that could be wrong with an older machine would, for me, make buying a five-year-old coffee machine out of the question.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I just finished my second cup of the morning. As always, a delight.

And now, a confession. I have been wracked with guilt all morning in full knowledge that I must confess to you all, gentle readers, of my horrible act.

After I awoke I came downstairs to prepare my first cup of coffee. As is, unfortunately, the case every day my body was barely functional and my mind was in a fog. Whilst preparing my first cup of coffee I...I...I... oh, this is just too terrible. Well, here it is, I forgot to heat my cup before pouring my coffee.

I can only beg forgiveness of you, gentle readers, for this heinous act. I am old, feeble, and in cognitive decline. Upon first awakening my mind is muzzy and my body dysfunctional. Your forgiveness for this old man's unfortunate action, gentle reader, is solicited.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

And now, a confession. I have been wracked with guilt all morning in full knowledge that I must confess to you all, gentle readers, of my horrible act.

After I awoke I came downstairs to prepare my first cup of coffee. As is, unfortunately, the case every day my body was barely functional and my mind was in a fog. Whilst preparing my first cup of coffee I...I...I... oh, this is just too terrible. Well, here it is, I forgot to heat my cup before pouring my coffee.

I can only beg forgiveness of you, gentle readers, for this heinous act. I am old, feeble, and in cognitive decline. Upon first awakening my mind is muzzy and my body dysfunctional. Your forgiveness for this old man's unfortunate action, gentle reader, is solicited.

Uh oh, well, consider yourself suspended pending a full investigation. I hope you continue to think deeply about what you've done and about the consequences of your actions.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

You are forgiven.

But I must confess to a profound sense of déjà vu reading your post.

Indeed, your soliloquy sounds very much like the speech that greeted me when I made an appearance in the dining room of our accommodation this very morning to be told that both coffee machines were hors de combat.

Fuzzy minds, dysfunctional bodies, moods far from bestowing blessings of beneficence on humanity. We agreed that we both suffered greviously from such afflictions.

Upon repairing to his room, subsequently, in order to join my colleague and prepare coffee in my brand new emergency French Press, my Norwegian colleague proudly informed me that he had successfully carried out the first step of my instructions, namely that he had put on the kettle, and had poured hot water in to heat the cups.

Asked whether he had remembered to add hot water in order to heat the French Press, he sorrowfully confessed that he hadn't.

A further soliloquy on the lines of describing states of increasing age, declining cognitive capacities, the appearance of feeble frailties, and failing physical abilities was declaimed.

So, I added water to the kettle, and then, proceeded to heat the pot, and did the remainder of the needful.....enabling us both to enjoy some freshly made Ethiopian coffee....

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Uh oh, well, consider yourself suspended pending a full investigation. I hope you continue to think deeply about what you've done and about the consequences of your actions.

I've been standing in the corner contemplating my misbehavior.

I am bereft.

Mea culpa...mea culpa...mea maxima culpa.

Please don't be too strict.

You are forgiven.

But I must confess to a profound sense of déjà vu reading your post.

Indeed, your soliloquy sounds very much like the speech that greeted me when I made an appearance in the dining room of our accommodation this very morning to be told that both coffee machines were hors de combat.

Fuzzy minds, dysfunctional bodies, moods far from bestowing blessings of beneficence on humanity. We agreed that we both suffered greviously from such afflictions.

Upon repairing to his room, subsequently, in order to join my colleague and prepare coffee in my brand new emergency French Press, my Norwegian colleague proudly informed me that he had successfully carried out the first step of my instructions, namely that he had put on the kettle, and had poured hot water in to heat the cups.

Asked whether he had remembered to add hot water in order to heat the French Press, he sorrowfully confessed that he hadn't.

A further soliloquy on the lines of describing states of increasing age, declining cognitive capacities, the appearance of feeble frailties, and failing physical abilities was declaimed.

So, I added water to the kettle, and then, proceeded to heat the pot, and did the remainder of the needful.....enabling us both to enjoy some freshly made Ethiopian coffee....

Ahh, dear friend, I knew that I could count on you for understanding and forgiveness. I hope that you have extended the same soft hearted understanding to the unfortunate individual who, although he remembered to heat the cups (mea culpa... again) neglected to pre-heat the French Press.

We all fail at the most essential tasks at times.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I've been standing in the corner contemplating my misbehavior.

I am bereft.

Mea culpa...mea culpa...mea maxima culpa.

Please don't be too strict.

Ahh, dear friend, I knew that I could count on you for understanding and forgiveness. I hope that you have extended the same soft hearted understanding to the unfortunate individual who, although he remembered to heat the cups (mea culpa... again) neglected to pre-heat the French Press.

We all fail at the most essential tasks at times.

These are high crimes, sir, not mere misdemeanors, and leniency is assuredly not in my nature. The tribunal will discuss appropriate punitive action, but rest assured that it will be swift and terrifying.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Proportionate perhaps?
Absolutely. Cody here will now be tasked with preparing all of his coffee for the next two weeks, which henceforth will be entirely brewed from Punitive Blend #2: two parts pre ground Starbucks French Roast and one part Folgers Gourmet Vanilla Biscotti.

image.jpeg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Absolutely. Cody here will now be tasked with preparing all of his coffee for the next two weeks, which henceforth will be entirely brewed from Punitive Blend #2: two parts pre ground Starbucks French Roast and one part Folgers Gourmet Vanilla Biscotti.

View attachment 646739
Wow. Isn't that a little extreme? It's not like @Shrink used bad, unfiltered water or let his machine get so dirty that it was unusable. Plus being his first offense, shouldn't he be allowed some leniency from the court of public opinion?

However, I bow to your ruling whichever way it comes down.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Wow. Isn't that a little extreme? It's not like @Shrink used bad, unfiltered water or let his machine get so dirty that it was unusable. Plus being his first offense, shouldn't he be allowed some lenience from the court of public opinion?

However, I bow to your ruling whichever way it comes down.

We must set strict punishments here in Coffee Court. But I'm not without heart. If @Shrink is appropriately contrite, I may be able to reduce his sentence to 4-5 days.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
High Esteemed Lords,
My Sovereigns,
My Most Excelled Mentors,
My Most Reverend Caffeinated Bishops,
and ultimately My Supreme Masters.

I plead ignorance and ask to You,

what is the purpose of pre-heating the cup?​

I hereby ask for Your forgiveness, or otherwise I thank you for imposing on me the right and deserved punishment.

Reactions: JamesMike

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
what is the purpose of pre-heating the cup?
Quite simply to prevent the heat of the coffee from seeping into the cup itself and cooling your drink prematurely. By putting hot water into the cup for a few minutes before putting your coffee in it, the cup heats up by drawing the heat from the water, rather than from your coffee. This way your coffee stays hot longer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Quite simply to prevent the heat of the coffee from seeping into the cup itself and cooling your drink prematurely. By putting hot water into the cup for a few minutes before putting your coffee in it, the cup heats up by drawing the heat from the water, rather than from your coffee. This way your coffee stays hot longer.

Exactly.

Basically, if you forget, or omit, to preheat your cup (as I learned from bitter experience) the cup cools the hot coffee down quite rapidly, (as @SandboxGeneral has remarked 'prematurely') and you find that you are drinking coffee that is no longer hot, but is on the warm side of lukewarm.

Heating the cup in advance ensures that the actual coffee (when you pour it, or prepare it) will retain its heat for longer, thus, it stays hot longer which means that it is more enjoyable to drink.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very interesting, there's a lot to learn from here. I will try from now on.

If you heat both the cup - and the coffee pot - with hot water in advance - your coffee will stay hot for a lot longer.

This is a mistake I used to make, and a small bit of mental preparation - first kettle of hot water is for cup and pot (French Press) heating, and the second kettle is for making the actual coffee. It takes a few minutes longer, but makes for far nicer (and hotter) coffee subsequently.

If the coffee is made in an unheated cup, the cold cup serves to cool down the hot coffee, resulting in warm coffee.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've taken to allowing the Expobar to remain on and warming up for a minimum of 30 minutes before pulling my first shot. Usually I let it go for upwards of 45 minutes to an hour. In theory, they say you only need to wait 10 to 15 minutes, which is true for the water, but the E61 brew group still takes a lot longer to heat up. After 45 minutes or so there is enough heat everywhere that the spouts and part of the handle on the portafilter are hot. That's when I like to pull my shots and in combination with pre-heating the cup I get a very hot and most delicious espresso out of it.

Of course that means I have to wait much longer for a drink, but the wait is well worth it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
We must set strict punishments here in Coffee Court. But I'm not without heart. If @Shrink is appropriately contrite, I may be able to reduce his sentence to 4-5 days.

View attachment 646739

OMG!

A nerd!

Starbucks!

FOLGERS! :eek: FOR TWO WEEKS!:eek::eek:

I am low garbage.

I am untouchable.

I am beneath contempt.

I am floor sweepings.

I am base and without value.

OK...is that contrite enough?:(:confused:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Oh @mobilehaathi our friend @Shrink sounds awfully sorry for his transgression, and not just sorry he was caught, but sorry that it happened in the first place. I hope you find it in your heart to show compassion on him and give him a light sentence.

Thank you for speaking on my behalf.

You are a friend, indeed.

and I am floor sweepings.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.