Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Impressive.

Can't say the same about today's FP. I must have hit the wrong button on the kettle because it was sour. I knew something was off when I was pouring the water over the grounds. I put in some heavy cream and drank it not wanting to brew another pressing as I had more important things to do.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One of the things you tend to get used to - when working abroad - is that nice people bring you espresso (and coffee).

I arrive home - tired, of course - to find all of the ground coffee consumed, and inexplicably find myself strangely reluctant to try to make the effort to bestir myself to make some coffee by grinding beans.

Anyway, fresh coffee - beans and ground both - need to be bought.

One of today's many tasks.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is painful.

While certain elements of my life can be described as 'a bit challenging', - in fact, some can be described as 'very challenging' - you do get used to your everyday, mundane wishes being met and anticipated.

I think I will need to head out and buy a coffee, in addition to buying fresh supplies of coffee.......and cheese, and fresh French bread.....among other things.

To a separate matter, have been renewing various subscriptions today, and also thought to redeem a promise made here, on these very threads, a few months ago.

Just now, I tried to place an order for @SandboxGeneral's book, and Amazon wouldn't allow me access to my own account. So, I shall attempt to attend to that, and then essay to place the order....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This is painful.

While certain elements of my life can be described as 'a bit challenging', - in fact, some can be described as 'very challenging' - you do get used to your everyday, mundane wishes being met and anticipated.

I think I will need to head out and buy a coffee, in addition to buying fresh supplies of coffee.......and cheese, and fresh French bread.....among other things.

To a separate matter, have been renewing various subscriptions today, and also thought to redeem a promise made here, on these very threads, a few months ago.

Just now, I tried to place an order for @SandboxGeneral's book, and Amazon wouldn't allow me access to my own account. So, I shall attempt to attend to that, and then essay to place the order....

When you receive @SandboxGeneral's fairly good book (;)), be sure to read the Foreword.

It's brilliant!

In fact, it's damn near Shakespearian.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When you receive @SandboxGeneral's fairly good book, be sure to read the Foreword.

It's brilliant!

In fact, it's damn near Shakespearian.

Amazon have first to sort this out; I received an apologetic email from them, but have yet to receive instructions about how to re-set passwords - and, in this age, resetting passwords (and hastily consulting old diaries - that is, old fashioned elegant, small, portable, books where days are sorted out by the day, week, month and year - these are something I still find extraordinarily useful) is something I find myself obliged to have to do relatively frequently..

Teon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2016
Amazon have first to sort this out; I received an apologetic email from them, but have yet to receive instructions about how to re-set passwords - and, in this age, resetting passwords (and hastily consulting old diaries - that is, old fashioned elegant, small, portable, books where days are sorted out by the day, week, month and year - these are something I still find extraordinarily useful) is something I find myself obliged to have to do relatively frequently..
look at your avatar and understand - you do not accidentally at this topic

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Scepticalscribe Once you get your Amazon account sorted out and receive the book, I hear that @Shrink knows the person who wrote the foreword! ;)

Today I should be receiving a new batch of the Atomic "Diesel" blend of beans. The stuff is truly wonderful despite its odd name.

Enjoy the coffee when you receive it.

Yes, I took a peek at the 'preview' pages, and gathered that somehow @Shrink knows the person who wrote the foreword intimately well.

As of now, Amazon have not sent me instructions on how to reset my password (and none of my diaries for the past four years are much help, it must be said), although a named individual (clearly, of Indian extraction) did write to me earlier in the day.

Well, once it is sorted, I shall place an order for the book.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Can't you simply use the reset link at the login page? I'm not sure what regional version of Amazon you're using[?] but I believe they're all the same.

The workflow being:

Supply reset function with the email used for the account
Receive email, click on link to reset
Update your password with a new/known value

Apologies if you've already been through this (or there's other extraneous factors like you no longer have access to the email account used during registration).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Can't you simply use the reset link at the login page? I'm not sure what regional version of Amazon you're using[?] but I believe they're all the same.

The workflow being:

Supply reset function with the email used for the account
Receive email, click on link to reset
Update your password with a new/known value

Apologies if you've already been through this (or there's other extraneous factors like you no longer have access to the email account used during registration).

I suspect that we are talking at cross purposes.

However, I cannot remember my password, and I don't appear to have written it down anywhere.

The other alternative was to try to set up a new account, but I doubt that would have run as they would probably have queried my email address as belonging to someone with an existing account.

Mind you, the exact same thing happened to me at MR around six or seven weeks ago...........I was locked out of my account and unable to access it.

Today, I was too tired to even contemplate coming up with a new one (that is, invent some sort of new password), so let us see how Amazon will respond.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I suspect that we are talking at cross purposes.

However, I cannot remember my password, and I don't appear to have written it down anywhere.

The other alternative was to try to set up a new account, but I doubt that would have run as they would probably have queried my email address as belonging to someone with an existing account.

Mind you, the exact same thing happened to me at MR around six or seven weeks ago...........I was locked out of my account and unable to access it.

Today, I was too tired to even contemplate coming up with a new one, so let us see how Amazon will respond.

Right, you don't have to remember your password as long as you know the email portion of the credentials, and still have access.

So go to Amazon.<whatever>

Login, from that screen, note the Forgot Password link:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 2.34.19 PM.png

Click that and you'll be presented with this screen:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 2.34.34 PM.png

Then you enter your email (and the code to confirm you're not a "robot"), and you'll instantly receive a link in that email account that provides a reset option.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Right, you don't have to remember your password as long as you know the email portion of the credentials, and still have access.

So go to Amazon.<whatever>

Login, from that screen, note the Forgot Password link:

View attachment 659586

Click that and you'll be presented with this screen:

View attachment 659587

Then you enter your email (and the code to confirm you're not a "robot"), and you'll instantly receive a link in that email account that provides a reset option.

Thanks for kindly posting screen grabs of the step-by-step process.

Actually, I did exactly that, and - despite the fact that I wear glasses and am indeed in a position where I need to wear lenses on the bridge of my nose to correct for my defective vision - I managed to correctly transcribe the letter-and-numeral combination offered. However, it kept telling me by way of response that it did not recognise me.

Hence, cue the old fashioned method of contacting those who might be in a position to remedy this little problem.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Actually, I did exactly that, and - despite the fact that I wear glasses and am indeed in a position where I need to wear lenses on the bridge of my nose to correct for my defective vision - I managed to correctly transcribe the letter-and-numeral combination offered. However, it kept telling me by way of response that it did not recognise me.

Hence, cue the old fashioned method of contacting those who might be in a position to remedy this little problem.
Hmm, perhaps you used a different email address for the account?

Reactions: Shrink

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Heck, sorry that didn't resolve your issue. I think there are actual, living, breathing customer reps at Amazon - er, I'm not sure, part of me thinks it's totally run by machines (Amazon == Skynet).

:D

Actually, the one time I needed some hands on assistance, I had a terrific experience with a lovely lady that squared away my order (it was one of those timed Christmas super specials).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And he is a prince among men and a writer nonpareil.

I don't doubt it for one minute.

Well, for that matter, "writer nonpareil" (or something similar) was - as it happened - how some of my reports were described by both local and international staff to me (one member of our local staff in the capital confessed to me - in writing - that he had sought out my reports to read and giggled his way through them enjoying the observations, remarks and analysis. I will be honest: I enjoyed writing them.)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I made a pressing this morning before work with some beans I'd gotten over the weekend. The coffee bloomed as usual, but the bloom was incredibly thick and took a tremendous amount of space. I'm not sure what the reason behind it was. The taste was incredible. I can only assume they were very fresh and I may have used a slightly finer grind setting?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
On my second cup of Ethiopian coffee (Hario dripper) - I made a cup - mug, (fancy schmancey, orangey schmorangey, Le Creuset for us both) for the substitute carer as well, which she pronounced 'gorgeous' (emphasis added); anyway, it is quite lovely.

The Ethiopian coffee...or the mug?

I'll guess it was the coffee, as the mug is...well...

:rolleyes:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Ethiopian coffee...or the mug?

I'll guess it was the coffee, as the mug is...well...

:rolleyes:

Ah, the coffee, of course. The coffee. The coffee is what she described as 'gorgeous'. Ethiopian, freshly made, nice and piping hot.

The mug is the mug it was served in, as the Le Ceuset, (along with the various adjectives some individuals on this very thread have chosen to bestow on such a handsome piece of equipment), is the mug (I have a few of them) in which I usually serve coffee, so the substitute carer is well used to it.

This is what I generally serve coffee in. Unless, that is, someone requests the Stalin mugs, (navy, very solid, and rather striking) bought in the Stalin museum, in Gori, Georgia, which happens more often than ought to be good for our peace of mind.

Inexplicably, everyone seems to overlook the truly gorgeous, tasteful, and exceedingly elegant navy mugs I brought back from Stockholm a few years ago, which I bought in the Vasa museum, with Vasa 1628 and a small picture of the eponymous ship on the side.

When I offered her - the substitute carer - coffee, she gladly accepted, saying that she 'had missed' the coffee she often receives at my house while I had been away. In fact, just after giving Mother her lunch - she remarked to me again that she 'had missed the coffee' when and while I 'was away'.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.