Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The black & white cups/saucers from Le Creuset arrived today. Just in time for the Autumn and Halloween season too. They go quite well with my flame colored set.

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 5.24.08 PM.png

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'm partial to cotton or white.

Keep an eye out for it. It is far superior to Président. I usually go for the salted variety. ;)

Who would carry it? What I don't like about Kerrygold myself is that their salted version's salt isn't evenly spread out in the butter.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Who would carry it? What I don't like about Kerrygold myself is that their salted version's salt isn't evenly spread out in the butter.
Ah, I've found it in three places. One is a specialty deli when I used to live in MI. Another is a small family owned market in near my place in CA (although they only carry doux and not demi-sel:(). The third is a French imports warehouse down the street.

Ah, unless you live in Northern CA, I'm not sure I can help much!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ah, I've found it in three places. One is a specialty deli when I used to live in MI. Another is a small family owned market in near my place in CA (although they only carry doux and not demi-sel:(). The third is a French imports warehouse down the street.

Ah, unless you live in Northern CA, I'm not sure I can help much!
A French imports warehouse! I should find one of those in Southern CA.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
There's got to be something like that down there. CA has tons of French people. :)
I haven't noticed. We seem to be the best location for English and Danish expats, though. There was a small group of Irish expats during the violent period in Livermoore, I believe it was.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It's as the name implies, SBG. Surely you've had eggs and soldiers before? It's simply one of the best if not the best breakfasts to give someone who's got a cold, specifically a chest borne illness.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's as the name implies, SBG. Surely you've had eggs and soldiers before? It's simply one of the best if not the best breakfasts to give someone who's got a cold, specifically a chest borne illness.

Nope, never heard of it before. I know what eggs are, but "eggs and soldiers" isn't anything I know about. Does it have something to do with the army?o_O

Heh, yeah, it's for serving hard/soft boiled eggs. But their other products come in cassis as well!

So you just put an egg in it and serve? Could I put espresso in it instead?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The black & white cups/saucers from Le Creuset arrived today. Just in time for the Autumn and Halloween season too. They go quite well with my flame colored set.

View attachment 661596

Stunning cups and saucers. May you enjoy them.

So is that something like this?
View attachment 661629

Heh, yeah, it's for serving hard/soft boiled eggs. But their other products come in cassis as well!

Nope, never heard of it before. I know what eggs are, but "eggs and soldiers" isn't anything I know about. Does it have something to do with the army?o_O

So you just put an egg in it and serve? Could I put espresso in it instead?

Essentially, such 'egg cups' are for playing host to hard or soft boiled eggs.

"Soldiers" - this is a very British expression, or term - Nigel Slater writes about them (toast soldiers) are slices of toast further sliced into thin hard rectangular lines - aka 'soldiers' - to dip into hot, boiled eggs (preferably soft, to get some of the salty and peppery yolk on the toasted soldier 'stick'). Done - or prepared - or served - properly, they can be delicious.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Stunning cups and saucers. May you enjoy them.

Essentially, such 'egg cups' are for playing host to hard or soft boiled eggs.

"Soldiers" are slices of toast further sliced into thin hard lines - aka 'soldiers' - to dip into hot, boiled eggs (preferably soft, to get some of the salty and peppery yolk on the toasted soldier 'stick'). Done - or prepared - or served - properly, they can be delicious.

Fascinating. Thank you for that, as it's something I've never come across before. I may have to try that someday as it does sound delicious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.