Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
after the developments of the last few years everybody could have seen this coming.

That Ireland on the side crashed and needed a bail out from the rest of the EU while on the other side sold itself to big US corperations by keeping ridicilously low corp-taxes was just asking for trouble in the long term.

let's be blunt: if it weren't for the tax-loop holes ireland/luxembourg (& partly the netherlands) would never have gained all that business in the first place.

I still remember the interview with Dietrich Mateschitz (50% Red Bull Owner) where he said that paying tax in Austria was matter of fairness and responsibility. As a consequence Red Bull pay their taxes for their world wide profits completly in Austria without using any of those tax-avoidance constructions/tax havens.

That is the event that made this such a CAUSE CÉLÈBRE, the Netherlands and Luxembourg might have also given tax breaks, but then again they didn’t need other people money, to stop them going bankrupt.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Your explanation conveniently overlooks the glaring fact that Ireland didn't make an alleged illegal deal with Ireland. :rolleyes: It takes two parties to make a deal. If it is deemed illegal then the profits made by tax manipulation are illegal. Rarely do offending parties get to keep the illegal gains. Do you think an exception should be made because it's Apple?

Bolded: fixed your quote since you seem to be implying Ireland acted alone.

I disagree. If someone has stolen something and resells it, who is at fault? It's obviously the person who stole it. You could ask the person who it was resold to for it back (and they can reasonably ask for their money back, in exchange), but I wouldn't think you can force them to do so. Similarly, if there's a fault here somewhere, it's with Ireland. You can't blame Apple for buying what was being sold. Doing so seems like it would just produce a lot of mistrust all around in the market. Oh, don't buy products anymore, the government is going to undo your transactions and fine you for having the audacity to spend money. Also, the EU is going to fine your government which is going to result in a raising of your taxes.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I disagree. If someone has stolen something and resells it, who is at fault? It's obviously the person who stole it. You could ask the person who it was resold to for it back (and they can reasonably ask for their money back, in exchange), but I wouldn't think you can force them to do so. Similarly, if there's a fault here somewhere, it's with Ireland. You can't blame Apple for buying what was being sold. Doing so seems like it would just produce a lot of mistrust all around in the market. Oh, don't buy products anymore, the government is going to undo your transactions and fine you for having the audacity to spend money. Also, the EU is going to fine your government which is going to result in a raising of your taxes.

Do you think that this case is the first in its class in the EU?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
after the developments of the last few years everybody could have seen this coming.

That Ireland on the side crashed and needed a bail out from the rest of the EU while on the other side sold itself to big US corperations by keeping ridicilously low corp-taxes was just asking for trouble in the long term.

let's be blunt: if it weren't for the tax-loop holes ireland/luxembourg (& partly the netherlands) would never have gained all that business in the first place.

I still remember the interview with Dietrich Mateschitz (50% Red Bull Owner) where he said that paying tax in Austria was matter of fairness and responsibility. As a consequence Red Bull pay their taxes for their world wide profits completly in Austria without using any of those tax-avoidance constructions/tax havens.

isnt he or red bull rather active in austria?

if you have any link to that interview i would appreciate that because on the face of it seems so commendable and breath of fresh air.

and news like this just highlight that nothing is ever good enough ie low enough for these companies and countries should stand firm.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I don't blame Apple. I don't blame any company that legally evades tax.

"Legally evade" is an oxymoron.

If a company or person pays exactly the tax they owe under the law, they are not evading anything.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
EU laws don't supersede national laws, or vice-versa. EU laws (which don't actually exist - they're called 'directives') are implemented by each member nation by passing their own laws. So basically, "EU laws" and national laws are the same thing.

This is not accurate. The EU is a creation of a series treaties (starting with the Treaty of Rome), and in those treaties, signatory nations give up sovereignty to the EU. These treaties give the various bodies of the EU (Legislature, Commission, Judiciary) legal authority which can supersede the authority of the national governments. This has been confirmed by the Court of Justice for the European Union in a doctrine akin to the U.S. Supremacy Clause. While you are right that Directives often are not directly legally enforceable, but instead require national laws to implement them, they cannot be ignored by the member nations. Further, EU Regulations do have direct effect, that is, they are the law of all of the member nations.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I’m struggling to see what Ireland have done wrong. In essence, it appears that they’ve offered a tax break, in order to provide jobs for the populace. What's wrong with that? They control their own taxes and decide how much to collect.

Even the EU are in favour of tax breaks when it saves jobs:

The European Commission has approved tax breaks for the UK video game industry.

I think the problem is they're accused of giving Apple an unfair advantage by giving them unique tax-breaks, and hence would be anti-competitive.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
EU laws are mostly guidelines and can be interpreted by each country differently. That's why the law is different in every European country...

Yeah...

I wonder what Luxembourg and Netherlands will say about that...

The Netherlands and Luxembourg won’t say anything, they will just implement the EU regulation if one comes. EU Council regulations are law for all countries of the EU.

A Directive from the EU Council is open to some wiggle room by the various states, but the end result must be met.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Well since this isn't about theft, I'm totally lost on your example.:confused: More so, your example is wrong. What you are describing is theft by receiving. It's a crime. It has nothing to do with Ireland/Apple and taxes.

Ireland didn't steal anything and Apple wasn't buying anything. If anything this was more a quid pro quo. Ireland gets jobs, Apple gets favorable tax rates. Both parties entered into an agreement deemed mutually beneficial. Ireland can be no more culpable than Apple. Neither party was under duress. If this proven to be illegal, both parties are equally complicit. Apple wasn't tricked, duped, bamboozled, or flimflamed. Not sure how you don't see that.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Obviously I love Apple, but ALL companies should be required to pay taxes. And Apple isn't the only company doing this, so I'm glad the EU might toughen their policies. I wish the U.S. would close the loopholes that allow U.S. companies to pretend to be located in other nations.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I’m struggling to see what Ireland have done wrong. In essence, it appears that they’ve offered a tax break, in order to provide jobs for the populace. What's wrong with that? They control their own taxes and decide how much to collect.

Even the EU are in favour of tax breaks when it saves jobs:

The European Commission has approved tax breaks for the UK video game industry.

I'm sick of the British, and the EU, blaming the Irish for all their problems. It borders on racism, and it's time for it to end.

Except the when Celtic Tiger, was seen to be a kitten, and it needed a bailout of 90 billion Euro’s.

Did you really think there were going to be no consequences,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/28/ireland-bailout-european-union_n_788922.html

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
As long as the law is followed, they've done nothing illegal, unethical or immoral.

Only when it's Apple.

And yet people call WalMart and Amazon unethical and immoral when they undercut little mom and pop stores or the e-books low pricing affair which technically they haven't not broken any law.

Double standards I say..

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
... You can't blame Apple for buying what was being sold...

Except that it was Apple that sold the idea to the Irish Government. ;)

"In 1991, a basis for determining Apple Computer Ltd.’s (subsequently AOE’s) Irish branch net profit was proposed by Apple and agreed by Irish Revenue..."

(See paragraph 31 of http://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/253200/253200_1582634_87_2.pdf)

And

"In 1991, a basis for determining Apple Computer Accessories Ltd.’s (subsequently ASI) Irish branch net profit was proposed by Apple and agreed by Irish Revenue. ..." (Para 33 of same document)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Not a lawyer are you? :) It's ok - either am I. But I know that you're example is incorrect. The original owner is still the title bearer. Stolen goods would be returned to the rightful owner.

In other words - IF Ireland entered into a deal deemed illegal - Apple would still very likely be on the hook for back taxes.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Taxes should rise for Apple and by a lot. The US tax authorities are rightly very unhappy with the use of tax avoidance techniques by Apple, in particular sheltering their international profits abroad and paying very little tax on them either via deal likes the one with Ireland

Why? Apple is a company that makes money for its shareholders. Those shareholders then turn around and spend that money. Why is that bad? It keeps the economy going.

America has one of the highest capital gain/corporate tax system in the world and we are still unable to get out of debt. If a business can escape that, good on them. America is the only country that still taxes it's citizens even when they are living abroad for extended times (which some exclusions).

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I am having a hard time seeing how the EU can actually go through with this, if Apple follow the laws of Ireland?
It is illegal under EU law to offer state subsidies to companies. The very sweet tax deal is a state subsidy and it not a deal available to others.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I am having a hard time seeing how the EU can actually go through with this, if Apple follow the laws of Ireland?

That's first because Ireland is part of the EU, so the EU has some say.

Second, there are all these other countries with their own tax laws. The UK for example could create a law that says they don't care what taxes Apple pays to Ireland, they want taxes paid on sales in the UK. And the other EU countries could do the same. And if the EU agrees with this, then whatever Ireland does is irrelevant.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Really? I figured EU laws were below local laws... it seems quite odd to me that nations would choose to join if it meant giving up some of their own sovereignty.

We get a lot of benefits from them, and new laws aren't just passed easily. They are subject to debates in the parliament (were all members are proportionally represented) and must be approved by that parliament.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Why? Apple is a company that makes money for its shareholders. Those shareholders then turn around and spend that money. Why is that bad? It keeps the economy going.

America has one of the highest capital gain/corporate tax system in the world and we are still unable to get out of debt. If a business can escape that, good on them. America is the only country that still taxes it's citizens even when they are living abroad for extended times (which some exclusions).
Apple pays a tax rate of below 4% on it's profits. Two-thirds of it's global profits are routed through Ireland. The profits are sat in bank accounts doing not at lot, I don't have the latest figures but it's well over $100 billion. Acitvist investors such as David Einhorn want the money returned to the US, taxes paid and then distributed to them as shareholders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.