Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
This is a fact. Four years ago, the most advanced smartphone ever, Sony-Ericsson P800, failed to be a mass product because it was too large. Same thing will happen to Apple iPhone :(

Here in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, ...) people hate large phones. What about in the USA?

Its shame, I really liked the iPhone, too bad it never caught on! :eek:

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
When iPhone was first designed, there was no plan to run third party applications. I wonder if the intention was to anticipate all kinds of applications to run on it right from the beginning, I wonder if Apple could have made a different decision regarding screen size.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
This is a fact. Four years ago, the most advanced smartphone ever, Sony-Ericsson P800, failed to be a mass product because it was too large. Same thing will happen to Apple iPhone :(

Here in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, ...) people hate large phones. What about in the USA?
You're joking, right? The iPhone is the smallest smartphone on the market. I think you want the 'Droid forums. And in case you haven't noticed, smartphones (3.5" and up) are already massively popular and widespread. If you want to browse the web or anything else on a 'phone', you'll need at least a 3.5" phone. Otherwise, you don't need a smartphone.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
You're joking, right? The iPhone is the smallest smartphone on the market. I think you want the 'Droid forums. And in case you haven't noticed, smartphones (3.5" and up) are already massively popular and widespread. If you want to browse the web or anything else on a 'phone', you'll need at least a 3.5" phone. Otherwise, you don't need a smartphone.

2007 thread. ;)

MultiMediaWill needs to be hung, drawn and quartered. :mad:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
2007 thread. ;)

MultiMediaWill needs to be hung, drawn and quartered. :mad:

He has annoyed me before, but not this time -- seeing that OP from back in 2007 is hugely entertaining! How quickly we've gone from "too big" to "too small." LOL!

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Oh, you mean we're not in January 2007? :p

woops, just saw the thread at the top of the forums. meaning it was still active because people were updating it today.

honestly if a thread is no longer relevant (i.e almost 5 years old) it should be closed. but w/e its still entertaining

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
This thread is proof to show how many people actually pay attention...

Too many fails.. lol

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Here in US, where the prevailing method of transportation is a car, larger phones work very well. In my own experience, there is a huge difference between city living (Europe) and small town/suburb living. When in cities, people tend to talk on the phones a lot. For us here, the media/computer part of the phone is much more important. Phones are used more for video, gaming, web browsing than for voice calling (obviously this varied from person to person but compared to Europe in general this is the case). For this type of usage larger screen becomes a must. And if out pockets need to grow to accommodate this life style - they will.

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
The original post in this ancient thread just made my day. Love how the OP was so dead on in his prediction! :rolleyes:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Ha, ha, made my day too. Really funny. Can't fit it in my pocket because it's too big!! LOL :D

andyprit

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I (honestly) belive my iPhone is the perfect size. If a bigge one came out, I wouldn't buy it.

Cuneyd

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011

Thanks for telling us which countries are in Europe.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Man, I really wish that the iPhone caught on. I've had like 5 of them now and I can't make anyone else get one...!!

/ah, July 2007... those were good times.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK

This is brilliant! :D :D I remember when people used to say this sort of thing. And now people are complaining 3.5 inches is too small to be competitive. What a joke... I still think, like I did in 2007, that 3.5 inches is a very nice size for a phone-it fits in my pocket; sorted. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.