Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ez3kiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2024
Dear Mac experts.
Due to a perfectly planned company policies, I am forced to use a macbook. I have used ubuntu, and fedora for 10 years, modified the user interface as suited to my needs, I have never seen this kind of a desktop environment, it feels like all shortcuts deliberately put to some places to decrase the effiiciency. Even a minimised screen cant come up with control tab sh*t. I am also aware this is related to muscle memory.
This is my first time interacting with a macbook, I would be greatful if you can share a link / document / video to adjust this freak to suit my needs.

Bests!

Reactions: Andrey84

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Minimise things less and rely on trackpad gestures to swipe left and right across virtual desktops.

Use 3 finger up swipe to switch between apps on a given desktop.

Worry less about customizing (though you can comprehensively customize and create your own keyboard shortcuts that work across the OS, not just within an app).

Last edited:

ez3kiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2024
Minimise things less and rely on trackpad gestures to swipe left and right across virtual desktops.

Use 3 finger up swipe to switch between apps on a given desktop.

Worry less about customizing (though you can comprehensive customize and create your own keyboard shortcuts that work across the OS, not just within an app).
I have this very flat mouse, and using multiple displays so didn't try trackpad at all. Thank you for the heads up, maybe I missed some ease of use there.

Reactions: GrenadeOconnor

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Generally, whenever you think "control", instead think "command". You've come a long way now...

cmd+q = quit. cmd+w = close window. cmd+n = new (window of whatever is relevant).

You have a global application menu up top like Unity used to have on Ubuntu. The Help menu has a HUD kinda deal where you can type in whatever you're looking for and it'll show you where it is and what shortcut it has. Like in Safari, if I hit Help in the menu bar, then write "private, it will show me that "New private window" is cmd+shift+n and is found in the File Menu. I can also just hit it from the Help menu.

cmd+tab gives you an app switcher row, but more useful in my opinion is spaces. If you want keyboard navigation instead of trackpad gestures (I rely on both), ctrl+arrow left/right changes space left or right. Arrow up with control goes into Mission Control (workspaces overview with applications per workspace, including fullscreen spaces), and down arrow (this may need to be enabled first) goes into App Exposé; That is, all open windows for a specific application (inside App Exposé, ctrl+tab will cycle between applications in that view).

CMD+Option+Escape brings up the force close menu. You probably won't need that but if you do; That's your "control+alt+delete".

I have my Macs all set up with iTerm 2 in a drop-down terminal way, where when I hit cmd+shift+enter it pulls down a Terminal rom the top like this

1710105053980.png

Not a general macOS thing, but if you are a user of the command line coming from Linux it's very lovely. I can hide it again with the same command and it can be pulled down on top of anything, including fullscreen games.

cmd+space opens Spotlight. Spotlight is amazing. At first glance, it's a search field. You can search up files and folders and such, based both on title and content. So if I have a big PDF that says "Hello there Bob how are you?" on page 704, I can search for that phrase, and Spotlight will find that PDF. But Spotlight can do a lot more too. Type sqrt(cos(pi*4)) into it, and it will tell you the square root of the cosine of 4π. Type 100USD in CAD and it will tell you how much 100 US dollars is in Canada bucks, and so on. Also has dictionary and a bunch of other features.

All shortcuts can be view in System Settings under keyboard -> Shortcuts. You can also define your own shortcuts for any application in there. If the app has a feature that can be used through the menus in the Menu Bar the global shortcut system can be used to trigger it.

By default, F11 (hold fn keys if you have them setup to use media keys without FN being held) will show you the desktop, F11 again brings all your windows back. The is a spread gesture on the trackpad.

CMD+H hides an application and all its windows. CMD+M minimises it. I never minimise, I always hide.

If you have any specific queries I can provider further details but that's a quick list of some of what I use the most. Oh and an important one I forgot; The extensive and awesome screenshotting capabilities

CMD+Shift+3 = Fullscreen screenshot; Saves to your selected screenshot storage location. Appears in the bottom right for a while before going into storage, where you can click it to edit fast or send it somewhere else (or drag and drop the image)

CMD+Shift+4 = Enter Area-Screenshotting. In this mode, dragging over an area screenshots just that region, but otherwise in the same manner as above.
When you are in Area-screenshotting mode, clicking the space bar will enter "Window screenshotting" where you instead select an entire window to screenshot.

CMD+Shift+5 = Enter Screenshot menu. From here you can change settings like where screenshots are saved, if there should be a countdown before the screenshot is taken, etc. You can also do screen recordings from in here (both region and full screen), and select audio recording (microphone selection) for screen recordings, and whether or not mouse clicks should be highlighted in the recording.

For any of the above you can hold CTRL as well to bypass the saving to storage and image in the bottom left, and screenshot directly to your clipboard.

Coming from Linux, I recommend you installing home-brew. It's like apt for macOS so you get a package manager. If you are also familiar with BSDs MacPorts is also a good choice; It's like FreeBSDs Ports system. There's also Fink which is more of a direct port of apt, but it's not got that big or updated repos. Homebrew is more widely used, including by Apple themselves.

A few more I thought of last minute:

CMD+Option+D hide and show Dock
FN+A = Keyboard selection of Dock items
FN+C = Open Control Center
FN+N = Open Notification Centre

If you have Full Keyboard Access turned on, and menu bar navigation is also turned on (FN+CTRL+F1 turns that off/on)
you can use CTRL+FN+F2 to enter the left side of the menu bar and CTRL+FN+F8 to enter the right side of the menu bar

To quickly turn on/off Full Keyboard Access or any other of the main accessibility options, hit CMD+Option+F5. This brings up the "Quick Accessibility Options" menu. For more detailed options on each one, see System Settings.
With Full Keyboard Access on, and any app focused, Tab+H gives help info on keyboard navigation within the selection, and Tab+A brings up a focus-selector.

Hope that helps

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Dear Mac experts.
Due to a perfectly planned company policies, I am forced to use a macbook. I have used ubuntu, and fedora for 10 years, modified the user interface as suited to my needs, I have never seen this kind of a desktop environment, it feels like all shortcuts deliberately put to some places to decrase the effiiciency. Even a minimised screen cant come up with control tab sh*t. I am also aware this is related to muscle memory.
This is my first time interacting with a macbook, I would be greatful if you can share a link / document / video to adjust this freak to suit my needs.

Bests!

Just remember that time cures a lot of things. It's different and the things that you know now do not work and will hurt you for a bit. If it's any help I regularly switch between Windows, Linux (gnome) and macOS and I am far more productive on macOS but it took a while to get there. My background is Unix going back to the 90s when we had OpenWindows, TWM etc.

Some tips:

1. You need to use the input devices as intended which is difficult if you're used to doing everything with keyboard. That means embracing the touchpad rather than avoiding it like you probably did on Linux because it's pretty terrible on that.

2. Don't start every problem with "why doesn't this work how I want it to" and then try and customise it. Ask "how can I achieve X" and look at the native way of doing it, try it out and see if you can adapt to it. If not, only then customise it.

3. Remember that a lot of Linux desktop environments are absolutely horribly engineered so a lot of the behaviours that you are used to, while productive feeling are terribly inconsistent. On a mac, in 99% of cases, everything works exactly the same everywhere so it pays to learn about the interface carefully.

4. The native utilities on the platform are BSD based and are not GNU based so you will find a lot of flags and things are different (awk / default zsh etc). If you really must use GNU stuff, use and install Homebrew - it's all in there.

One of the things I do is have one Terminal instance running full screen with tmux in it. This is the "unix environment" and acts as a logical virtual desktop. I have one virtual desktop for comms/admin. Another one for work (usually Rstudio, TeX). You just three-finger-swipe between them on the touchpad. Switch windows / admin desktops with three finger swipe up.

Also revel in the glory that unlike Linux, kernel updates tend not to completely screw up power management and there is no lid opening roulette like the last 20 years of Linux for me. Oh and the display manager actually renders fonts clearly and legibly, the battery lasts more than 30 nanoseconds and the sound doesn't sound like someone farting in a trash can two blocks away.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Dear Mac experts.

Bests!

You are suffering from a common problem. You are so used to doing things the hard way that the easy way seems unnatural.

I’m sure you’re shaking your head wondering how I could say this when Windows is so simple. It’s not. You’re just used to it.

The great thing about Apple is that the learning curve is ridiculously short and easy. Schedule an appointment at an Apple Store. Yes, I know you’re a computer expert and probably have lots of IT experience. Spend an hour with a Genius and you’ll thank me later. It about an hour, maybe two, you’ll learn the ecosystem and then all this hard stuff will seem much easier than the nonsense you need to go through on a PC.

In my work, there is a confident never Mac guy. We use Macs for certain tasks related to AV and video work. It took him a while, as the Mac use isn’t daily, but now, he can’t imagine doing these tasks on Windows, despite him remaining an unapologetic and unwavering PC guy.

Go and spend an hour or two with an Apple expert (certified or not). You’ll probably learn enough in those two hours that you can google anything else.

(Apple also has its fair share of bugs and annoyances. Notwithstanding, the “how to do things” is extremely intuitive.)

Last edited:

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Why would you want to do that? using your thumb as the anchor for multi key commands (using the command key) puts way less strain on you than using your pinky for the control key.
Just because the muscle memory is there.
Personally I find it easier to always use my little finger for ctrl and type the second letter with my index, than to use the cmd key e.g. to type ctrl-A.

Reactions: izzy0242mr

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
On a mac, in 99% of cases, everything works exactly the same everywhere
Excepted on Finder...
I never understood why the folders are handled differently on Finder than on the open/save dialogs.
In that aspect Windows is ways mor consistent.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Been using Linux all these years? Just open up the Terminal, install Homebrew, and it'll feel like you never left. "But what about the window manager and desktop environment?" you may ask. The command line is all you need. :cool:

...or just use the Mac normally for a few weeks, and you'll be used to doing things The Apple Way™ (or at least some variation of it), and everything will feel natural eventually.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Been using Linux all these years? Just open up the Terminal, install Homebrew, and it'll feel like you never left. "But what about the window manager and desktop environment?" you may ask. The command line is all you need. :cool:
You can (or at least used to be able to) get Gnome running on macOS/Darwin through XQuartz, but only Qt and GTK app works, no Cocoa/Aqua native apps. So I wouldn't recommend it

Reactions: Basic75

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Just because the muscle memory is there.
Personally I find it easier to always use my little finger for ctrl and type the second letter with my index, than to use the cmd key e.g. to type ctrl-A.
Give the command key a go for a week. Your thumb is already nearby it as it rests near the space bar (at least if you're a halfway decent typist). It took me a little while migrating from PC to get used to it (19 years ago), but now I have, I'd never want to go back. It just makes so much more sense.

Also, if you haven't used the trackpad with macOS give that a go as the Mac trackpads are really quite decent and there are a lot of really convenient desktop management gestures that work well with the trackpad.

Usually on PC I hate trackpads, because the PC trackpads are normally crap, but on the Mac I use one in preference to the mouse 90% of the time.

Last edited:

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Give the command key a go for a week. ... It took me a little while...
I have been two years on macOS (concurrently with Linux and Windows), one can get used to cmd, but now as I am back to Windows as main driver I appreciate the ctrl-key and have swapped on macOS too.
Also, if you haven't used the trackpad with macOS give that a go as the Mac trackpads are really quite decent and there are a lot of really convenient desktop management gestures that work well with the trackpad.
I use trackpad on travel, but a mouse is definitively more convenient as I place it where my hand is, I don't have to move to the unconvenient place of a trackpad. Pointing is also ways more precise with a good Logitech mouse.
Apple's mice are hip, but rather unconvenient to use.
Usually on PC I have trackpads, because the PC trackpads are normally crap.
No, current notebooks have trackpads that are par to Macs.
Don't be fooled by the bad trackpad experience on BootCamp-Windows. Apple's drivers are (deliberately?) made crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.