Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
the enclosures do exist.. but they only support cards that are horrible..

But an eGPU thunderbolt box for high end gaming cards would be so freaking nice

Sorry, I was talking about a PCIe graphics card with a Thunderbolt port directly on the card itself. I have my doubts that we'll be seeing anything like that for a while, if ever.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I have used your ROM to flash a MSI Gforce GTX680 2GB. I was a little scared because the size of the original ROM was 166 ko against 218 ko for your mac ROM. Fortunatly, it perfectly works, including boot screen and PCIe 2.0, as reported by GPU-Z! 3DMark Vantage report 31502 on graphic test, so everything looks excellent. Thanks again.....

Link speed of the flashed MSI Gforce GTX680 2GB is 5.0 GT/s. See another topic by Fouel...

It has been confirmed that the flashed GTX 680 has the PCIe 2.0 link speed under OS X. Has anyone tested the link speed under bootcamp?

You're right, I used the wrong version of NVFLASH. I just successfully flashed my EVGA GTX680 SC card, and it is indeed using PCIe ver. 2.0 in OSX as well as Bootcamp Windows 7:)

Lost a few MHz on the GPU Clock (1059->1006MHz) and the Memory (1552MHz->1502MHz). This of course results in a slightly slower Pixel Fillrate (33.9GPixel/s->32.2GPixel/s), as well as a slower Texture Fillrate (135.6GTexel/s->128.8GTexel/s).

Now onto overclocking the card to it's former glory:)

Thanks to all for your help and guidance!

Just in case anyone else asks and does not want to read the previous pages.

Thanks evga!

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Cuda recognized card name

Just flashed and EVGA GTX 680 (2GB). Fairly easy to do in windows, via bootcamp. Just make sure you get the latest 64bit version of nvflash (if you are running a 64bit WinOS) - the link early in this thread was to an older 32bit version which, of course, did not work.

Everything is running great, boot screen etc. The only issue I'm having is figuring what is the "correct" name that After Effects and Premiere use in their "Cuda approved" text file. Ran GPUsniffer and the name it gives does not work. Tried various permutations with no luck.

Anyone have an idea of the correct name for the card so that AE and Premiere recognize it for cuda GPU work?

(and no patlee - I do not have the 4gb rom)

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
If it's anything like the previous cards:

GeForce GTX 680

Jus' like dat.

jas

Tried that already and didn't work - even ran onyx (overkill) to see if there was something cached that stopped me. Also, installed the latest cuda drivers from nVidia.

Unless there is something else wrong...

xDeLiRiOuSx

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
After flashing to GTX 680 EVGA 2GB PC cards, are you guys able to use both the DVI Ports? Will they both function as dual-link DVI ports for booting? Will the Apple bootscreen load?

Thanks!

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
What about running CUDA-Z? Does that see the card?

jas

Haven't tried that, will take a look. Wondering if anyone else has gotten Cuda to work properly and what they did.

Also for the person who ask about DVI - yes, both work on the flashed card. Running a 30" on the dual port and a 24" on the single port no problem.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Haven't tried that, will take a look.

CUDA-Z will tell you if the OS, drivers, etc are able to access the CUDA cores on the card. It's a good idea to have installed on your Mac at all times.

Wondering if anyone else has gotten Cuda to work properly and what they did.

I read on the Adobe site that you can also remove the cuda_supported text file as opposed to editing it. Hm. Might be worth a shot. Make a directory called BACKUP or something like that, and move the file into that dir. Fire up Premiere Pro and see how it responds...

jas

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
After flashing to GTX 680 EVGA 2GB PC cards, are you guys able to use both the DVI Ports? Will they both function as dual-link DVI ports for booting? Will the Apple bootscreen load?

Yes, we can use both DVI ports, why wouldn't we be able to? They work on unflashed cards.

I have two 30 inch monitors that show boot screens when connected to the dual link DVIs from a flashed 680. The main screen shows the apple logo, the other one is the same background but without the logo.

Interesting items that I did NOT expect after flashing:

1. I have another unflashed 630 card on the same Mac and this card shows a background now while booting. While before it was black. I didn't expect this, it is nice.
  2. while shutting down, the 630 now shows the shutting down screen (the gray background with the spinning icon.) While before, 2 screens were black and the main one was gray without the shutdown icon. Again, nice to have. Note that the shutdown icon shows on the 630. Yes, I just wrote that the shutdown icon is showing on the unflashed card, with the flashed one present. I have no explanation to this, but I like it.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
^^^Doesn't this 630 drive display port monitor?
Somehow OS X "does prefer" mDP/DP connection over DVI. My DP LCD is always "main display" when I have second one connected via DVI.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Funny Behavior

After flashing my EVGA GTX680 SC card with the Mac ROM, it is all working fine in OSX and in Bootcamp Windows 7. I have bootscreen, and full PCIe ver. 2.0 connections.

However, something is bugging me a little bit and that is during the boot sequence it seems like the display is VGA only. Is that normal?

I have attached three images showing the bootscreen. In "Boot #1" you can see the HUGE Apple icon on my ACD 27". In "Boot #2" you see the blue background, but it is showing with thick black bars on both sides. In "Boot #3# it changes to 2560x1440 when the login screen appears. The reason for the shadowed Apple icon is that this comes flying from the lower left corner up to the middle...

Is this normal behavior:confused:

Attachments

• Boot #1.jpg
    Boot #1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 194
  • Boot #2.jpg
    Boot #2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
  • Boot #3.jpg
    Boot #3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 235

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
I read on the Adobe site that you can also remove the cuda_supported text file as opposed to editing it.

For what it's worth, this works on my Mac with Premiere Pro CS5.5 and the GTX570 the MacVidCards did for me. I removed the file and PPro fired right up with MPE in hardware mode.

jas

ghislain

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
strange

After flashing my EVGA GTX680 SC card with the Mac ROM, it is all working fine in OSX and in Bootcamp Windows 7. I have bootscreen, and full PCIe ver. 2.0 connections.

However, something is bugging me a little bit and that is during the boot sequence it seems like the display is VGA only. Is that normal?

I have attached three images showing the bootscreen. In "Boot #1" you can see the HUGE Apple icon on my ACD 27". In "Boot #2" you see the blue background, but it is showing with thick black bars on both sides. In "Boot #3# it changes to 2560x1440 when the login screen appears. The reason for the shadowed Apple icon is that this comes flying from the lower left corner up to the middle...

no it is not, but I don't see any explanation. On the other hand, if it is the only problem, you may just forget it...Otherwise, you may try the usual tricks (zap PRAM...) or re-flash the card with the original ROM and then again with the Mac ROM...good luck

NoNaMeUsEr

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010

Hi! Killerbob.
Pardon me for the language, not native english speaker.
I got more or less the same thing.
I fleshed EVGA GTX 680 (02G-P4-2680-KR), with rom file from https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17132316/ everything OK, but i got strange thing too.
When i use DVI, the boot-screen has right resolution, right size icons(right resolution), but mice pointer can move only vertically..
When i use DP, i got boot-screen too, but it has HUGE icons(wrong resolution), and mice pointer can move only vertically(see attachments).
I have Mac Pro 3.1 with OS X 10.8.3, EVGA GTX 680 (02G-P4-2680-KR) connected to Dell U2711(native resolution 2560x1440)
I already asked about that "strange huge boot-screen" here but, unfortunately, got no sensible answer.
I already reflashed card twice, and reset SMC - no changes.

Attachments

• huge_bootscreen.jpg
    huge_bootscreen.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 131
  • huge_bootscreen_icons.jpg
    huge_bootscreen_icons.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
NoNaMeUsEr and Killerbob: If real Mac 680 does not have this issue, it must be caused by slight difference between your cards PC BIOS and original Mac Evga PC BIOS part. It could be presumably corrected by combining original PC BIOS of your cards with EFI part.
MVC or fouel could confirm if the issue is present (or not) on their cards flashed with custom ROMs.

KingKompass

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Hello,
just flashed a Palit GTX 680 2GB (NE5X68001042F) with the GTX680mac.rom.
It was really easy to do it in windows, via bootcamp. I used the Windows version of NVFLASH at the command line of Windows 7 x64 Prof.

Everything is running great, boot screen and link-speed 5.0 GT/s etc.
The only issue I'm having is that if i start the Mac i have to wait about 10 seconds (black screen) after the "GONG" until i get the apple boot screen.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Hello,
just flashed a Palit GTX 680 2GB (NE5X68001042F) with the GTX680mac.rom.
It was really easy to do it in windows, via bootcamp. I used the Windows version of NVFLASH at the command line of Windows 7 x64 Prof.

Everything is running great, boot screen and link-speed 5.0 GT/s etc.
The only issue I'm having is that if i start the Mac i have to wait about 10 seconds (black screen) after the "GONG" until i get the apple boot screen.

try a PRAM reset

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Dual 27-inch LED Cinema Displays

How do you hook up other display to this card, I have two 27-inch LED Cinema displays but EVGA only gives you one adaptor HDMI to Mini display port, How can i hook up other one on the same card?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Hi Skyline,

You'll have to buy an adapter. I believe you can buy an HDMI-Displayport adapter, and then a Displayport-Mini Displayport adapter. I have never seen an HDMI-Mini Displayport adapter, but that would be the ideal. However, if you have the new Thunderbolt monitors, they can be daisychained...

texem

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Hi PCI-e fan after cold boot

Hi,

wondering if there are some more people with high speed rotation of PCI-e fan after cold boot of a MacPro 5,1 (and 4,1) ?

This issue came up again with the 7950 as well.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Hi,

wondering if there are some more people with high speed rotation of PCI-e fan after cold boot of a MacPro 5,1 (and 4,1) ?

This issue came up again with the 7950 as well.
I have the issue with my 7950, also did it with a 6870.
Stock 4870 no issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.