Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Guys, would any developer be so kind to add my phone's UDID to the dev list for a while until the 5.1 will be released? Its really pain to not be allowed to delete photos from the photo stream - it guys would agree with me...

Im just not seeing it worth 100 bucks to get dev account just because of that.

I can even donate some amount for that if necessary.

Thanks.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
And I'm sure that you learned all of this through first hand experience by using Android and iOS phones on a daily basis over an extended period of time.

No, of course you don't. Your judgment would be completely different if you actually had.

If your iPhone/iPod Touch could run live wallpapers, I'm pretty sure you'd have one just to show off how awesome your gadget is. Since your castrated operating system doesn't support widgets and live wallpapers, of course, by definition, they have to be "stupid".

I also don't know where Android supposedly is a resource hog. My Galaxy S2 runs circles around the iPhone 4S and it never "fries" the battery. And it still has more features than the iPhone 4S - and most of the OS features that Apple now introduced as "innovations" in iOS 5 have been in Android since, well, ever. Including voice assistants.

Maybe the 3Gs still runs the latest iOS, but it's actually a suboptimal experience. Not as bad when iOS 4 was released for the 3G, but it's also not a real joy to use iOS 5 on that old 3Gs hardware anymore. And talking about software support in general -- my iPhone 3G was only over six months old when Apple decided to drop the software support for it. Sure, the 3G had already been on the market for quite a while when I purchased mine, but nevertheless I felt betrayed by Apple. I also felt betrayed by them when I had to pay for every single iOS update for my first generation iPod Touch. They only changed that AFTER I had already sold my iPod Touch.

But the most important thing speaking FOR Android and AGAINST iOS is the fact that you CAN customize the Android OS. It provides freedom. The one thing that you will NEVER get from Apple, and that alone is the ultimate killer argument for me to never buy an iOS-based product anymore.

Do you even listen to yourself? I have yet to see more ignorance and hypocrisy in one post.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
This post got thumbed down because he's correct.

I'm not sure if this is correct but some X3s have a hidden fourth core only accessible through the BIOS.

As far as i know those X3s are all quad core, they just have one bad core which is disabled. At least it was the case with some of them.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
How about this follow up comment at 9to5

Um. Those files (/cores/core.X) are *COMPLETELY UNRELATED* to CPU cores. They are where Mac OS X (and apparently also iOS) store core dumps, which are basically memory dumps of crashed processes. "3" refers to the process ID of the crashed process.

Apple's Technical Note TN2124 explains this. Or, ask any programmer. While I also believe Apple are working on a quad-core CPU, the entire basis for this article is faulty. So much for the "extremely reliable" source.
(Frankly, I'm unsure of why someone who doesn't know core dumps is reading disassembled code.)

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Um. Those files (/cores/core.X) are *COMPLETELY UNRELATED* to CPU cores. They are where Mac OS X (and apparently also iOS) store core dumps, which are basically memory dumps of crashed processes. "3" refers to the process ID of the crashed process.

Apple's Technical Note TN2124 explains this. Or, ask any programmer. While I also believe Apple are working on a quad-core CPU, the entire basis for this article is faulty. So much for the "extremely reliable" source.
(Frankly, I'm unsure of why someone who doesn't know core dumps is reading disassembled code.)

This. :D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Ravager

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
I don't understand the need for multiple cores on the iPhone because it doesn't even have true multitasking.

*coughs* Just because you don't see a "true" multitasking on the iPhone, doesn't mean that people aren't constantly running two processes at once, one of them being somewhat draining on the system. How about those that use Voice over as either the magnifier, or the screen reader? Anyone that has to use Voice Over, or any other screen reader with how the tech is now and days can attest to how resource intensive, both on the processors and the RAM it can be of any device. I constantly have two processes running at once. Hanging and Voice Over, Mail and Voice Over, RSS news readers and Voice Over...

Right now, I can think of 4 things to assign to each of the 4 processors that *might be* in the works, and have each and every one run at once. Voice Over as a magnifier, any GPS solution, an app called "Around Me" and lastly the display draining on the processor.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
You have to remember that NVidia wrote that tech demo to use all 4 cores. That doesn't mean all games will. It's also 75% production speed. Would it still choke on 2 cores at full speed?
Oh I know, but it shows that there is still use for a quad-core. I think it would but even so they could continue to make it more intensive.

Well, it's going to happen. Check out the HTC Edge, the first Quad Core phone.

...seriously dude?

troll-doll.jpg

Last edited:

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Java wasn't/isn't part of the web. they didn't lose anything, java apps are slow as **** because they aren't native code. get over yourself and learn.

----------

Apple dosen't care about specs, as in they don't market them, of course they want the best performance possible, are you dense?

Am I dense? We share the same opinion, jackass. What part of what I said do you disagree with? Or did you miss my blatant sarcasm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.