Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Got another email from Evolutive Labs letting me know that they would ship me a replacement. They said my order might not ship until the end of this month or the beginning of Sept, but they would do their best to speed things up. Based on rcjr's post, I replied asking for assurances that my replacement wouldn't have the same quality issues. I mentioned this thread and the prototype case in my email.

Fingers crossed for you! In my past correspondences with them, I too implored them to take a look around other forums in order to gain a better idea of what their customers are saying, uploading, etc. The main hope there was to try and avoid the back and forth with the email process and the vast difference in the time zone(s). Based on their most recent email update maybe over a month ago, I am led to believe that they are better tuning their mass production to correct existing, widespread quality issues and hopefully future proof their line. Best of luck :)

Reactions: kschles

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Received a response from Evolutive Labs telling me that earlier problems with manufacturing and quality control have been fixed. Also received another email letting me know that my shipment is on the way. Kudos to EL for quick and painless replacement procedure (no extra shipping charges, don't have to return the original defective case). Hope you won't see another post from me on this thread...which will mean that my new case is fine.

Reactions: rcjr

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Received a response from Evolutive Labs telling me that earlier problems with manufacturing and quality control have been fixed. Also received another email letting me know that my shipment is on the way. Kudos to EL for quick and painless replacement procedure (no extra shipping charges, don't have to return the original defective case). Hope you won't see another post from me on this thread...which will mean that my new case is fine.

Good news and also good to know for those who may be facing similar issues. Come to think of it, I didn't have to send back my original case, either. Hoping to have the new one today or tomorrow, as it was sent out late last week. Glad that they were able to help you out so well!

PiersJun

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
My replacement was sent out few days ago too. Hopefully getting the upgraded version for honey comb.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Got my replacement SolidSuit without any problems. The new one seems just a little different from the first one I received. The navy color looks a little darker. As soon as I picked up th new one, it felt way more grippy than the first one. I've been using the replacement since I got it, and I really like it. It's very comfortable to use...remarkably thin for a case that is drop rated at 11 feet. I was previously using a Magpul field case. While I liked the Magpul, I worried about the level of drop protection. No such worries with the SolidSuit.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Have any of you with the leather solid suit noticed the outer layer flaking/peeling off? I just sent evo labs an email wth pictures, the sides of my case have started to flake and peel. It's almost like the textured layer was painted on and now it's peeling off. Just normal use, no abuse or liquid damage or anything like that. I attached a picture of each side, I'm hoping this was part of the first run issues and they send me a new case.

Just to be clear, overall this is a great case, but I'll be very disappointed if this is considered normal wear.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 281

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Have any of you with the leather solid suit noticed the outer layer flaking/peeling off? I just sent evo labs an email wth pictures, the sides of my case have started to flake and peel. It's almost like the textured layer was painted on and now it's peeling off. Just normal use, no abuse or liquid damage or anything like that. I attached a picture of each side, I'm hoping this was part of the first run issues and they send me a new case.

Just to be clear, overall this is a great case, but I'll be very disappointed if this is considered normal wear.

My black case actually started to peel at the power button itself but I am aware of numerous others reporting that their case is peeling off, especially at the corners. Their Kickstarter page was quite littered with those kinds of comments. I gifted the blue version to a friend and they have two sections where the material looks as though it "chipped" off. Like users here, I emailed Evolutive Labs and I am going to wait until their new design of the SolidSuit is available, at which point they will be sending two out to me.

They have told me via email that improvements have been made to the way they are adhering their current cases, but the new design (based on the prototype I was sent) should improve upon even that. It is said to be near impossible to break under normal conditions, which is good news to people who are looking to invest in their products.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I got a response back fairly quickly from evo labs, they will be sending me a replacement case. It will probably take over a month to receive it but at least they are backing their product.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Got my replacement SolidSuit without any problems. The new one seems just a little different from the first one I received. The navy color looks a little darker. As soon as I picked up th new one, it felt way more grippy than the first one. I've been using the replacement since I got it, and I really like it. It's very comfortable to use...remarkably thin for a case that is drop rated at 11 feet. I was previously using a Magpul field case. While I liked the Magpul, I worried about the level of drop protection. No such worries with the SolidSuit.

They moved you to the top of the list because of your severe issue. My order for warranty replacement for peeling was approved about 2 weeks before yours and it hasn't even shipped yet. I am glad they were able to take care you you pretty quickly though.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'm thinking about another case to change things up a bit.

After all the fanfare, I guess the iPhone 6 series SolidSuit finally went down in flames?

There's a placeholder for iPhone 7 versions on their site, but nary a mention otherwise.

I'm glad I didn't bite on that KS...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

After all the fanfare, I guess the iPhone 6 series SolidSuit finally went down in flames?

There's a placeholder for iPhone 7 versions on their site, but nary a mention otherwise.
I'm not sure what any of that means.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013

According to the latest I heard from RhinoShield, I believe the SolidSuit for the 7 Plus is supposed to come out in December...it's not a dead product by any means...

Kristin

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
According to the latest I heard from RhinoShield, I believe the SolidSuit for the 7 Plus is supposed to come out in December...it's not a dead product by any means...

Yes, but I was wondering about the poor folks who backed the iPhone 6 version, finally received their cases, only to find they had issues, and were promised that improved "version 2" replacements would be provided. Look a few posts above.

Placeholders and dead links are what you'll find now if you look for SolidSuit on their site.

AFAICT:

1) backers have yet to receive (or at least talk about) any fixed replacements
2) the iP 6 version is no longer considered a valid product, or offered for sale
3) the company gave up on the iP6 product altogether, and there is no improved version forthcoming

I think Dr. McCoy wouldn't be too far off from the truth, at least for the iP6 version, and any future version would amount to a resurrection.

How many people took the refund offer, and how many are received replacements?

The whole history plays out on this thread, and the only conclusion that can be drawn is not a good one. The comments on KS also reinforce this notion.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Yes, but I was wondering about the poor folks who backed the iPhone 6 version, finally received their cases, only to find they had issues, and were promised that improved "version 2" replacements would be provided. Look a few posts above.

Placeholders and dead links are what you'll find now if you look for SolidSuit on their site.

AFAICT:

1) backers have yet to receive (or at least talk about) any fixed replacements
2) the iP 6 version is no longer considered a valid product, or offered for sale
3) the company gave up on the iP6 product altogether, and there is no improved version forthcoming

I think Dr. McCoy wouldn't be too far off from the truth, at least for the iP6 version, and any future version would amount to a resurrection.

How many people took the refund offer, and how many are received replacements?

The whole history plays out on this thread, and the only conclusion that can be drawn is not a good one. The comments on KS also reinforce this notion.
According to RhinoShield, they are in the process of updating the iPhone 6s/6s Plus SolidSuit and that more info should be forthcoming this month regarding this. The 6s/6s Plus SolidSuit is not dead.

Kristin

Reactions: scapegoat81

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
According to RhinoShield, they are in the process of updating the iPhone 6s/6s Plus SolidSuit and that more info should be forthcoming this month regarding this. The 6s/6s Plus SolidSuit is not dead.

Kristin

I hope so. If I don't get mine by Dec, I'm requesting a refund. My patience is wearing thin at this point. I wasn't a backer on Kicstarter, but ordered back in August.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I hope so. If I don't get mine by Dec, I'm requesting a refund. My patience is wearing thin at this point. I wasn't a backer on Kicstarter, but ordered back in August.
What was the estimated ship date when you ordered?

If it helps you any, here's what they replied to someone on Facebook who ordered in July and was curious, as you are:

Hi Ken,

We are redeveloping the SolidSuit.

It will soon be completed but for now the best we can do right now is to ball park the release time which we are hopeful will be done before end of November.
We will put it back online once we have a more precise date of completion
And another:

Hi,

We had to restart from scratch the design and production of the SolidSuit.
This development will soon be completed but for now the best we can do right now is to ball park the release time.
For this new SolidSuit, the window will most likely to be after late November.​

Hope that helps.

Reactions: scapegoat81

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
What was the estimated ship date when you ordered?

If it helps you any, here's what they replied to someone on Facebook who ordered in July and was curious, as you are:

Hi Ken,

We are redeveloping the SolidSuit.

It will soon be completed but for now the best we can do right now is to ball park the release time which we are hopeful will be done before end of November.
We will put it back online once we have a more precise date of completion
And another:

Hi,

We had to restart from scratch the design and production of the SolidSuit.
This development will soon be completed but for now the best we can do right now is to ball park the release time.
For this new SolidSuit, the window will most likely to be after late November.​

Hope that helps.

He original ship date was Sept. Then it kept getting pushed back & I emailed CS & got the same reply. They're hopeful that it'll ship mid to late Nov, but I'm not holding my breath

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
The Reward/Survey site will at least let you pick a Solid Suit for the 7/7 Plus. Not ship date only TBA, but for months you couldn't even select the item.

I hope mine ships before the 7S/8 is out.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
It's a little funny, I posted above back in august that I would be getting a replacement solid suit. Well, that is true, they just sent me an email yesterday telling me it's on it's way. So it only took them 5 months to replace it, and now I'll be selling it (here or ebay or both) as soon as I get it since I upgraded to the 7+ and no longer need or want a 6+ case. Oh well, I appreciate the effort at least...

Reactions: willmtaylor

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
It's a little funny, I posted above back in august that I would be getting a replacement solid suit. Well, that is true, they just sent me an email yesterday telling me it's on it's way. So it only took them 5 months to replace it, and now I'll be selling it (here or ebay or both) as soon as I get it since I upgraded to the 7+ and no longer need or want a 6+ case. Oh well, I appreciate the effort at least...
Wow! Sorry about the non-compatible phone issue, that sucks, but there is an actual SolidSuit is on the way??

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
A 6 plus solid suit is in the mail for me apparently. I backed their kickstart a long while back and got one of the first set for the 6+ but the leather finish started flaking off. I contacted them and asked if they could replace it and they said yes, I never thought the replacement would take nearly 1/2 a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.