Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Got my new MBP yesterday and have come upon a very strange issue. Per the picture here, my display is split into 3 sections. The right and left quarters of the display are flipped. Running 30"ACD through a club3d USB-C to DL-DVI adapter. This setup has worked flawlessly with my 2018 MBP and for the last 3 weeks my M2 max MBP - but won't with my new M3 max. 2 ACDs, both with the same issue. Rebooting, changing resolution, rotation, mirror etc does not fix it. Switching to a dock with full size DP output ->DP-mDP adapter->Apple mdp-DL-DVI adaper->screen does work so its not the screens.

Very odd. Any ideas?

Reactions: hybra

lukiffer

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
I'm having the exact same issue with a 30" Cinema Display. I've tried both the Thunderbolt to dual-link DVI adapter that is working with my M1 MBP, as well as the official Apple mini-display port to dual-link DVI adapter, both produce the same result (as you have pictured).

It must be the way it's addressing the dual link connections, because my higher resolution Samsung displays (via Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable) work fine.

If anyone has a fix for this, I'd be interested in not having to buy a new display, even though I accept that the ACD is quite old.

Reactions: Basic75

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Also on M3 max?

I am receiving a new TB4 dock today, will see if that makes any difference though I severely doubt it.

Strangely with the Apple MDP-DL-DVI adapter mine does work... Though as I said its through a chain of adapters.

Asked this question on apple support forums and got the response to disable sleep and use the daisy chain of adapters. Truly the opposite of helpful.

Last edited:

lukiffer

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
It might be something with the SOC/Thunderbolt architecture. When I posted previously, I was going from (USB-C to Mini DisplayPort) to (Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI) to the ACD – this presented the same issue.

I purchased an adapter to go from DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port – the rest of the chain is the same – and it works fine (thanks for putting me onto this path).

Just_Kyle

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023
Wisconsin
I'm having the same issue with my M3 Max and a Club 3D CAC-1510-A.
Just ordered the Cable Matters DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port. Hopefully connecting that from my TS4 to the Apple mdp-DL-DVI adaper will solve the issue and I can return the Club 3D adapter.

hybra

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
I had the same exact issue with the funny “Pacman-tunnel” effect, left and right columns swapped with my old trusty LCD3090wqxi model that was working just fine with a MacMini 2012 and the Apple Minidisplay port to DVI adapter. After trying out many different combinations of adapters and cables I actually solved yesterday switching from the Usb-C/DVI adapters to a USB-C/MiniDisplayPort one + Apple’s MiniDisplayPort&USB/DVI. Be aware that you have to use both the Usb-connector in the M3 Mac AND Apple’s adapter USB-A cable end into a powered USB port. It also has an USB-A passthrough port. The DVI end of course goes to the display that with this configuration will be working fine.

For anyone needing it, aside from Apple’s bulky adapter (very expensive, but that I already had from my MacMini setup) (https://www.apple.com/sg_smb_5200/shop/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter)
I see that Apple makes a different one too, without the USB ends, much less expensive but didn’t try that. Maybe it is a passive adapter and it needs to active (powered) to work. (https://www.apple.com/au/shop/produ...-dvi-adapter?referrer=https://www.google.com/)

I also had to purchase this Usb-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter: https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B095LTZSMQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
Hey I just upgraded my 2021 m1 MacBook pro to a 2023 m3 MacBook pro and now my old 30" inch cinema displays are not working correctly.

The connectors im using are
Club3D CAC-1510-A USB Type C
FYI I now see that the description on amazon has been updated to say it does not support m3 macs :(

I contacted apple they said to buy this adapter:

I will get it later this week and report back.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
I got the new cable today, having the exact same issue, I do have to say with my m1 mac the new cables work much better.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
I'm having the same issue with my M3 Max and a Club 3D CAC-1510-A.
Just ordered the Cable Matters DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port. Hopefully connecting that from my TS4 to the Apple mdp-DL-DVI adaper will solve the issue and I can return the Club 3D adapter.
Did this work?

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hey I just upgraded my 2021 m1 MacBook pro to a 2023 m3 MacBook pro and now my old 30" inch cinema displays are not working correctly.

The connectors im using are
Club3D CAC-1510-A USB Type C
FYI I now see that the description on amazon has been updated to say it does not support m3 macs :(

I contacted apple they said to buy this adapter:

I will get it later this week and report back.
This is so annoying and completely inexplicable from Apple.

They have clearly changed something in the USB/displayport architecture and it's broken things. We all might be in a very niche category still using these old displays but it's just so poor from them. Considering M2 MBPs also have TB4 which is completely standardised, can't understand why or how they have done this.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
This is so annoying and completely inexplicable from Apple.

They have clearly changed something in the USB/displayport architecture and it's broken things. We all might be in a very niche category still using these old displays but it's just so poor from them. Considering M2 MBPs also have TB4 which is completely standardised, can't understand why or how they have done this.
returned my m3 because of this, I'll keep using my m1 MacBook pro until it gives in.

Reactions: rorydaredking

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Got my new MBP yesterday and have come upon a very strange issue. Per the picture here, my display is split into 3 sections. The right and left quarters of the display are flipped. Running 30"ACD through a club3d USB-C to DL-DVI adapter. This setup has worked flawlessly with my 2018 MBP and for the last 3 weeks my M2 max MBP - but won't with my new M3 max. 2 ACDs, both with the same issue. Rebooting, changing resolution, rotation, mirror etc does not fix it. Switching to a dock with full size DP output ->DP-mDP adapter->Apple mdp-DL-DVI adaper->screen does work so its not the screens.

Very odd. Any ideas?
Just got new M3 Max and have the same issue with the same adapter and 30" ACD. Anyone in contact with Club 3D and asked if this is something they can fix with a firmware update on their end? Or talked with Apple for that matter, but I doubt they would prioritize this.

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hadnt though of asking club3d to be honest

posted on apple forums and had some idiot completely miss the point and kept telling me settings to try to resolve the display wake from sleep issue with the workaround adapters; which basically amounted to disabling sleep. And of course blaming me for having old screens and it definitely not being apples fault at all for breaking something.
strange place.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Hadnt though of asking club3d to be honest

posted on apple forums and had some idiot completely miss the point and kept telling me settings to try to resolve the display wake from sleep issue with the workaround adapters; which basically amounted to disabling sleep. And of course blaming me for having old screens and it definitely not being apples fault at all for breaking something.
strange place.

Yeah, I saw that thread on the Apple discussion forums, when a thread gets hijacked like that creating a new thread is sadly probably the only viable recourse.

I wrote to Club 3D support now and reported the issue to Apple support as well.

Reactions: rorydaredking

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Have anyone successfully managed to use the 30” ACD with a M3 mac, with any type of adapter/s yet?

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Have anyone successfully managed to use the 30” ACD with a M3 mac, with any type of adapter/s yet?
Yep a few of us. Poster above uses a cablematters adapter IIRC. My adapter chain is in post 1.

I think success is coming from using the official mini dP to dual link dvi adapter, and a seperate usbc to mini dP adapter

Jetty

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
I have the same problem connecting my 30" Apple Cinema Display. Same image as Rorydaredking's photo shows.
I have read everything above and understand that a solution has been found. But I don't really understand which cables you are using exactly. Can one of you who works with it explain it better? With the correct names of the different types of cables?

In the photo you can see which cables I have:
1: Starlink Dual-Link video converter (CDP2DVIDP USB-C to DVI adapter). I connected this to my previous Macbook Pro (2019).

2: Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter. I used it years ago, but fortunately kept it.

3: Starlink USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter - 4K 60Hz - White - USB 3.1 Type-C to Mini DP Adapter. This allows me to effortlessly connect my new Macbook Pro M3 max to my Apple LCD display.

From your answers above I understand that I should use 2 and 3. But then I get a black screen. Should I buy a newer version of 3: Starlink USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter? https://www.startech.com/nl-nl/beeldscherm-videoadapters/cdp2mdpec

I hope you can help me.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 15.24.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 15.23.57.jpeg

Jetty

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Thanks for your quick anwser. Can you make a picture of how you dit it? Or send me the link to the 'startech Mini DP Female to DP male adapter' where you are talking about?

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks for your quick anwser. Can you make a picture of how you dit it? Or send me the link to the 'startech Mini DP Female to DP male adapter' where you are talking about?

I expect there will be a direct USB-C to mini-DP female adapter you could use but can't recommend any myself

Jetty

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
You have 2 monitors? I see you have also plugged in the USB-A plugs into your TB4 dock. That is not nessesary for the monitor to work isn't it?

I expect there will be a direct USB-C to mini-DP female adapter you could use but can't recommend any myself
I have this, this is my number 3. But on the website of StarTech they say there is a new version. Maybe that one is the correct one. I will email the helpdesk of StarTech. I will let it know here on the forum when I have the anwser.

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
You have 2 monitors? I see you have also plugged in the USB-A plugs into your TB4 dock. That is not nessesary for the monitor to work isn't it?

I have this, this is my number 3. But on the website of StarTech they say there is a new version. Maybe that one is the correct one. I will email the helpdesk of StarTech. I will let it know here on the forum when I have the anwser.
USB A does have to be plugged in to power the adapter as far as I know. Just unplugged one and the monitor went off. That hopefully is your issue

Jetty

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
I always thought that USB-A made the USB ports on the back of the monitor work with the computer hanging from it. That's how it used to be, I thought. Since my MacBooks no longer have USB-A, I haven't used that cable anymore. Never been a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.