Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Hey everyone, I'm just wonder if this is a decent external display. I'm going to be getting the MBP 2.53GHz tomorrow.

If it is a good one, what will I need to buy to make it connect to the MBP pro? I know it's some type of adaptor, I'm just wondering which one :p

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Seriously anyone? I need some help. Incase the link doesn't work, here's the specs

The LG W1934S 19" widescreen LCD monitor is built for users who want excellent performance and value. A fast 5ms response time makes this 19" monitor a standard for many types of different uses including movies and games.

LG Flatron 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor (W1934S-BN) - Black

WebID: 10099711
Mfr. Part Number: W1934S-BN
Monitor Type LCD
Analog vs Digital Analog
Brightness 300cd/m2
Built in TV Tuner No
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Maximum Resolution 1440 x 900
Other Auto Resolution,Tilt
Product Dimensions 45.0(W) x 38.0(H) x 18.0(D) cm
Product Weight 3.2 kg
Response Time 5ms
Screen Size 19"
Speakers Included No
Warranty 3 Year Swap (Repair Exchange)

Attachments

• 10099711.jpg
    10099711.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 79

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
What do you need the external display for? It's a larger screen but same resolution as the MBP. It's kind of low budget. I would pass and just use the MBP screen. I don't really see the point unless you are adding something significantly better than what you already get with the MBP or unless you absolutely need dual display.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I don't really see the point of this external display as it won't provide any extra real-estate over the MacBook Pro's internal screen. I would get at least a 20" if not 24". It just doesn't seem worth your while.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
with the way my desk is layed out, an external screen makes it a lot better to manage space. I'll attach an image of my desk. I'll be a lot more productive with a screen while sitting at the desk. If I use the MBP screen I'd have to have the computer right infront of me, where as with the external display I can use the area infront of my for my 8+ textbooks.

Attachments

• ca517456_1_enl.jpg
    ca517456_1_enl.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 89

boatski

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
24" + is the way to go.

I wish I had went 24" at least, but I bought a 22" samsung. 1680x1050 res.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't get it

What is the point of taking an EXPENSIVE notebook and trying to make it into something cool but then buying a 19" inferior $169 LCD???

I would NEVER waste money doing it like that. You need AT LEAST 24" HIGHER resolution than the MBP display... or (23" Apple Cinema Display).

Seriously, would you buy a $100k Mercedes and put a $149 Earl Scheib Paint Job on it??? Really? Would you? That seems kinda like how you seem to be thinking... If you cannot afford more, wait and just use the MBP screen.

Just one opinion. Best wishes with it... I hope you opt for the new 24" LED Cinema Display for $899 (that is the one I am getting)... It is pricey but it is amazing. Good luck with whatever you choose.

The Reg

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hey everyone, I'm just wonder if this is a decent external display. I'm going to be getting the MBP 2.53GHz tomorrow.

If it is a good one, what will I need to buy to make it connect to the MBP pro? I know it's some type of adaptor, I'm just wondering which one :p

To answer the other question that you actually asked... Since the display seems to be analog only, you will be picking up Apple's Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter.
As far as the display...get what you want and can afford!:)

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
what you need

I am somewhat amazed that no one has the decency to just answer your question. :confused:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

The Mini DisplayPort allows you to connect an external display or projector using an adapter. You can use an external display as your main workspace or to extend your desktop, or you can work in mirrored mode with a projector so you can view what your audience sees. The Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter lets you connect an advanced digital monitor, such as the 20- or 23-inch Apple Cinema Display, that uses DVI video. Review the documentation or check with the manufacturer of your monitor to make sure you're choosing the right adapter.

Everyone is oblivious to the fact that you have a specific reason
for wanting what you want. Absolutely crazy. What does it matter if you want a 19" over a 24" lcd.
cheers
Patrick

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Seriously, would you buy a $100k Mercedes and put a $149 Earl Scheib Paint Job on it???
Just one opinion. Best wishes with it... I hope you opt for the new 24" LED Cinema Display for $899 (that is the one I am getting)... It is pricey but it is amazing. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Wow, you must be from the Buffalo area for Earl's name to come up ;) Sad that I've seen his work :eek: Unless he has twins with the same name I could be wrong but the reputation precedes…
For the OP, look all around at different displays and do some hard research on them and keep this in mind; you look/view at any screen for a long time with your eyes, find the best one within your budget or yes as others have mentioned save a few more months and your eyes will keep loving your head for years to come. Last look for digital display over analog to get a better picture and don't forget a student discount if you're a student from Apple (just provide the proper info).

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I am somewhat amazed that no one has the decency to just answer your question. :confused:

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

The Mini DisplayPort allows you to connect an external display or projector using an adapter. You can use an external display as your main workspace or to extend your desktop, or you can work in mirrored mode with a projector so you can view what your audience sees. The Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter lets you connect an advanced digital monitor, such as the 20- or 23-inch Apple Cinema Display, that uses DVI video. Review the documentation or check with the manufacturer of your monitor to make sure you're choosing the right adapter.

Everyone is oblivious to the fact that you have a specific reason
for wanting what you want. Absolutely crazy. What does it matter if you want a 19" over a 24" lcd.
cheers
Patrick

Thank you.

Ok to clear everything up.

1) I'm a broke nursing student
2) I do 90% of my work on my laptop in classes and in the library
3) The screen is for when I am at my desk and need to have a bunch of textbooks open to write a paper. I don't need something amazing, just something that functions - and for a low price.
4) Yes I REALLY want the new Apple Display, but I can't afford it. Maybe after I graduate, but for now I JUST need something that will work for writting papers.

Clearly this screen isn't the best one out there, I didn't expect it to be for only $160.

To the people that actually answered my questions, thank you. I just wanted a "is this one decent" not a "why would you get that?"

If anyone has some inexpensive alternatives, I would love to see them. Please remember I live in Canada, and the only options around me are pretty much Best Buy and Future Shop.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I have read that some cheap Samsung's and NEC's are good but I'm not sure what the stock is like around you at those stores. I assume that you have seen this screen (LG) in person to play around with the colors and over-all how it looks to your eyes? I ask because I've seen some good specs on lcds but after looking at they in person I'm amazed by the lack of picture quality.
Best buy seems to be having a nice instant rebate sale going on at least on the US website and the price point is around your range. Maybe if it's not to far to travel, take your new MBP with you and hookup the display(s) to your MBP and go from there as far as the LG goes. If it has everything you want cool, if not on to the next lcd in your price range.
While I understand others comments about "same size" or no more viewing real estate, the point being is you can't change physical size so 19" is still bigger than a 15" screen and for what you need it works.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
L1916hw

If you are only going to look at a 19", Westinghouse makes a 19" that has a resolution of 1680 x 1050, and is on sale for $159.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8725784&type=product&id=1201306973889 (Sorry, I don't know how to make a hyperlink) Below are the specs for the display.

Product Features
Ultrafast 2 ms response time
Provides fast data processing for reliable efficiency.
19" widescreen flat-panel LCD monitor
Displays documents, Web sites, photos and videos with resounding clarity.
3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
Provides rich images full of detail.
300 cd/m² brightness
Clearly displays what's on the screen so your shows, movies and games look their best.
1680 x 1050 maximum resolution in 16:10 aspect ratio
Brings movies, sporting events and video games to life for a realistic experience. Super Fine Pixel Ideal provides high-resolution imagining and photo viewing.
Wide 170° horizontal and 160° vertical viewing angles
Let you clearly see the screen from multiple vantage points.
DayBright technology
Provides improved daytime or nighttime viewing. Complete your work during the day or at night according to your work schedule.
Touch-sensitive key pad
For easy and effective user control.
VESA wall-mountable design
Lets you place the monitor wherever you want, freeing up desk space.
Two 2.5-watt down-firing speakers with stereo mini jack connector
For enhanced audio.
PC compatible
For use at home or in the office.
ENERGY STAR qualified
Assures a high standard of energy efficiency.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I have a year-old LG monitor that looks very similar to the one you posted, but mine's a 22" one.

It works just fine for your describe uses:
-extra real estate, for holding multiple documents
-move convenient viewing when working at a desk
-relatively small footprint

Frankly, for reading black text on white backgrounds, this monitor will suit your needs perfectly. It's affordable, and easy to set up.

Don't get it if you're concerned about:
-colour-correctness
-top quality
-lots of bells and whistles
I was using mine for some basic web design, and could clearly see the differences between colours on the external monitor and how they appeared on the display of my MBP.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for all the informative everyone :)

I don't really care about screen size, 19" or bigger is good. I may also be able to get one from my uncle, who owns a computer store. I think he mainly sells Seagate brand...or Seanote, Seanix....something like that lol.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I apologize. I personally am not in your shoes.

However, if you tell us all that you are buying a brand new MBP 2.53 for $2500, we are all going to think there is more for the display. It's not like you said, hey I'm broke and I need a display and I bought the cheapie MB for $1249 after student discount. When you say waiting on new 2.53 MBP, I automatically think, MONEY$$$

I agree the Apple Cinema Displays are overpriced.

I see little value in going from the nice 15.4" to a 19" with the hassle of hooking it up and etc.

However, if you can only afford or want a 19", I must agree the Westinghouse is a better monitor. It has better resolution too.

BUT, since you paid so much for that MBP, I would try to come up with an extra $100 and buy a much better 22-inch screen. That three inches will make it worth hooking up an external display in my opinion. That is what you were asking for OPINIONS.

Anyways, best wishes with your new MBP... Hope you love it. Good luck with school.

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
my 2 cents:

I agree with most of what has been said here. I say with the prices of LCD's these days, you shouldn't consider purchasing anything less than a 20" - especially when you're already running a 15" display on the MBP. I've seen numerous good quality 22" lcd's go for $180 shipped on newegg and other vendors.

Now, I don't want to be a skeptic here, but regarding your uncle that owns a computer store - unless he owns a franchise or a very large store, my guess is that he'd be hard pressed to offer you a better deal for a brand name product than what the online retailers offer it for.

As for being in canada - I am certain that there are plenty of large online retailers that offer more competitive prices than futureshop and best buy.

An example off the top of my head (even though I live in the US) is NCIX, which I believe has warehouses in canada.

I did a super quick search, and this well reviewed 22" acer here

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26788&vpn=ET.EX3WP.001&manufacture=Acer

is both a better monitor and a better value than the 19" you initially considered. There are obviously better deals out there if you looked hard enough, but point being that there are better alternatives out there.

Hope that helps and good luck in your search.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I agree the Apple Cinema Displays are overpriced.

I see little value in going from the nice 15.4" to a 19" with the hassle of hooking it up and etc.

However, if you can only afford or want a 19", I must agree the Westinghouse is a better monitor. It has better resolution too.

BUT, since you paid so much for that MBP, I would try to come up with an extra $100 and buy a much better 22-inch screen. That three inches will make it worth hooking up an external display in my opinion.

Anyways, best wishes with your new MBP... Hope you love it. Good luck with school.

Thank you, that is good advice. It most likely won't end up being me that buys it. My stepdads business may end up purchasing it as it's considered a "write off". So the final decision will ultimatly be up to him and my mom. But the more info I can give them, the more I can lead them towards a decent one :p

Now, I don't want to be a skeptic here, but regarding your uncle that owns a computer store - unless he owns a franchise or a very large store, my guess is that he'd be hard pressed to offer you a better deal for a brand name product than what the online retailers offer it for.

He doesn't have a franchise or very large store, however most of the time he can atleast match the price, so if I can I'd like to support his local business (as I live in a small town).

astudentis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
with the way my desk is layed out, an external screen makes it a lot better to manage space. I'll attach an image of my desk. I'll be a lot more productive with a screen while sitting at the desk. If I use the MBP screen I'd have to have the computer right infront of me, where as with the external display I can use the area infront of my for my 8+ textbooks.

To tell you the truth, the major reason for me at least was on purchasing my glassbook pro, was the bigger screen and resolution compared to my previous blackbook. Buying a cheaper Screen with the same resolution and the display on the laptop is a bad idea.

I see the desk you have, and I too being a student, will also find having space to put my texts and notes infront of me when i am working to be really usefull. If you cant afford a better screen, why not just consider getting a wireless mouse and keyboard to keep on the keyboard tray, and just keep the beautiful MBP on the top place (where the display is, in the current picture)?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

Let me just start by saying that I am a bit picky when it comes to displays. I've used quite a few different brands and most of them are.. horrible.

Your Macbook Pro's display is going to be a high quality display when compared to others such as the monitor you are looking at there. You'll need to keep that in mind if you plan on using both at once for increased screen size. Do you think you can tolerate one that is vivid and one that is.. not so vivid?

My rules when looking at/for a monitor:

1) What type of panel does it use?

This is my most important question and I have a rule: No TN panels, no exceptions.

2) What is the resolution of the display?

3) What is the refresh rate of the display?

4) Is the display large enough for this room/office?

I'm looking at the refreshed display here: http://www.apple.com/displays/

It might be a bit more expensive, but I'll save up for it so I have a quality monitor to last me awhile. :D

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
nice desk

Hey, I have that same desk. I like it because you can hook up the external monitor and slide the MBP in the slot between the desktop and the monitor shelf, and you have the whole desk top to work on. With the external mouse and keyboard, you barely know it's a laptop. Here's another monitor, about the same price, at Best Buy, with slightly higher resolution, so at least you get a little more space to work with here. (Oops, beaten to this link). Good luck.

On a side note, I have a 20 inch Cinema display, and when I look at my desk I think a 23 inch screen wouldn't fit between the two top shelves, so before you go get a big monitor after graduation, measure that space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.