Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

Kitkad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Hello all,

I thought I'd post here about an issue I've been having and see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

When I'm using the phone my eyes feel strained, like, they're trying to focus on the screen. Also, I've noticed that when I look away from my phone at something else, my eyes feel a little blurry and I have to blink.

Not sure why this is happening. I've tweaked with all the various displays settings (TrueTone/Night Shift/White balance), but nothing seems to make a real difference. Not using a screen protector.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Hello all,

I thought I'd post here about an issue I've been having and see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

When I'm using the phone, my eyes feel strained, like they're trying to focus on the phone. And I've noticed that when I look away from my phone and at something else my eyes feel a little blurry and I have to blink.

Not sure why this is happening. I've tweaked with all the various displays settings (TrueTone/Night Shift/ White balance), nothing seems to make a real difference. Not using a screen protector.

Anyone else?
Have you used cell phones with oled screen before? If not, your eye strain may be due to oled screens and their refresh rate amongst other things. Alot of people have headaches fro oled screens. Google and youll find alot of posts about it.

Kitkad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Have you used cell phones with oled screen before? If not, your eye strain may be due to oled screens and their refresh rate amongst other things. Alot of people have headaches fro oled screens. Google and youll find alot of posts about it.

Yes, my previous phone was an S7edge.

Reactions: TMax

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It takes a little time to adjust to OLED from LED. I know when I switch between my 7 Plus and my V30, sometimes my eyes get a tad strained. It might just take a little adjustment for some with more sensitive eyesight.

Edit: It could also be the way iOS runs? The gestures might be causing motion fatigue on your eyes?

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
I noticed the same, I feel like my eyes are straining while using this phone. I think it has to do with the fact that when I scroll the images and text are a bit blurred because of ghosting / lag with the display (more than on my 6S), and my eyes are trying to focus on things. Also, another thing I found out is that this display uses what’s known as pulse-width modulation (PWM) to dim the brightness of the display. You can’t see it but basically the screen is flashing really fast as a way to control the brightness, which causes headaches for some people. Apparently PWM is common for many displays, especially OLEDs.

I’m going to give it a few days to see if my eyes adjust.

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Same thing, got really sore eyes since two days (really painful), the X is the culprit for sure. I don’t know what to do

Reactions: TMax

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
iPhone X is a great new product from Apple!

Do not use iPhone X if you are allergic to iPhone X. Side effects may include nausea, headache, migraine, vomiting, pain, sweating, nervousness, or mild death. If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue use of iPhone X and make a Genius Bar appointment.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Ohhh boy, what -gate should we name this?

Sorry, don’t mean to trivialize the issue. I sympathize. Played Mario on Nintendo Switch for the first time last week and got a huge headache. I’m not a gamer so maybe my eyes just needed to adjust to the constant movement. Maybe keep trying for the next few days and see how you feel.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I noticed the same, I feel like my eyes are straining while using this phone. I think it has to do with the fact that when I scroll the images and text are a bit blurred because of ghosting / lag with the display (more than on my 6S), and my eyes are trying to focus on things. Also, another thing I found out is that this display uses what’s known as pulse-width modulation (PWM) to dim the brightness of the display. You can’t see it but basically the screen is flashing really fast as a way to control the brightness, which causes headaches for some people. Apparently PWM is common for many displays, especially OLEDs.

I’m going to give it a few days to see if my eyes adjust.

This. It is likely due to PWM dimming. All prior iPhones did not use PWM, rather, a constant current dimming technique. When you see 'flicker free' desktop monitors, this is what they are referring to. Some people are very sensitive to PWM flicker. All OLED phones use PWM except for the LG V30 (edit- it also uses PWM but barely noticeable). While this display is far worse than Samsung OLED + iPhone X, I have to give LG credit for doing it right.

I am slightly sensitive to PWM flicker but the iPhone X is far less fatiguing than the Pixel 2 (non-XL, Samsung OLED) that I had. It has to do with the frequency + brightness level the manufacturers set for PWM, which I can't even start to explain, but the gist is the higher the frequency, the better it is on the eyes / less noticeable. Any experts / people who know much more about this feel free to chime in. PWM is a big problem I have with OLED phones. Had my LG V30 not had horrible banding and blotching I would've kept it and not gotten the X.

Last edited:

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
The X seems like a heck of a phone, but honestly, I can see how sensitive people would say this.
My son and I tried the X extensively @ Verizon & Best Buy and both came away feeling eye fatigue no matter how we adjusted settings. He even felt a slight headache & nausea and had to quit messing around on it.

Of course, most people won't encounter this, but I think it is a "thing" for some sensitive folks.
Reminds me a little of when I briefly owned a MacBook Air several years ago and had to return it for similar reasons.
Did not get the feeling form a MacBook Pro. YMMV.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
The X seems like a heck of a phone, but honestly, I can see how sensitive people would say this.
My son and I tried the X extensively @ Verizon & Best Buy and both came away feeling eye fatigue no matter how we adjusted settings. He even felt a slight headache & nausea and had to quit messing around on it.

Of course, most people won't encounter this, but I think it is a "thing" for some sensitive folks.
Reminds me a little of when I briefly owned a MacBook Air several years ago and had to return it for similar reasons.
Did not get the feeling form a MacBook Pro. YMMV.
That's really too bad. Sadly Apple has no choice if they continue to use Samsung screens. You should look at the LG V30 if you and your son wanted to buy OLED phones. The phone is stunning and what the X should've looked like. Apparently later batches of the phone have been better, and Verizon also has a $200 pre-paid gift card offer on the V30. It's a good deal, in my opinion ($640 when it's all said and done).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.