Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
LG OLED TVs don't use PWM. They do flicker one horizontal line to prevent burn-in, but it's absolutely not the same as PWM that Apple is using. You should have zero issues with an LG OLED TV.

Reactions: MICHAELSD

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I bought a Sony LCD four or five years ago and that was only because OLEDs at the time had a reputation for burning in. I don't think I'll ever get an OLED now because thankfully TVs are made with good competing screen technologies unlike phones.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
LG OLED TVs don't use PWM. They do flicker one horizontal line to prevent burn-in, but it's absolutely not the same as PWM that Apple is using. You should have zero issues with an LG OLED TV.
Picked up a LG C3 yesterday. This is going to sound weird.. But I think I feel something, but it also could be nothing as im trying/looking for a problem. I have the LG diagnostic remote being delivered today via amazon. Going to change some settings in there that supposed to help with the consistency of the screen I here..

I can say this screen is beautiful and the tv monitor route is the way to go. This is coming from someone who had 2 49" curved monitors.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
Picked up a LG C3 yesterday. This is going to sound weird.. But I think I feel something, but it also could be nothing as im trying/looking for a problem. I have the LG diagnostic remote being delivered today via amazon. Going to change some settings in there that supposed to help with the consistency of the screen I here..

I can say this screen is beautiful and the tv monitor route is the way to go. This is coming from someone who had 2 49" curved monitors.
Switch to the Calibrated Dark mode. I also would not use HDR. Turn off any smooth motion features as well. Enjoy your new C3! It's fantastic. I've owned quite a few of these 65-inch LG OLEDs due to real estate deals. They are the best.

galfy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2024
I don't like to diluting any experiences but back and neck tension from looking at your phone can lead to long holding tension headache which have nothing to do with Pulse Width Modulation.

Reactions: wickedrm

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
If it was as simple as that I'm not sure this thread would have 424 pages dating back 7 years.
This is absolutely due to PWM, and I’m glad that we were able to isolate that in 2017.

I legitimately can’t use any of these flickering smartphone displays without my eyes/head throbbing nearly 24/7.

Meanwhile I could stare at my iPhone SE all day long with no eye strain that’s out of the ordinary.

Who’s ready to upgrade to iPhone 16 Pro? I know that I am.

Wow, it will be seven years later this coming fall…

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
My suspicion is that OLED screen technology has plateaued and there isn’t much more they can do to make these flicker monsters less problematic.
Micro-LED isn’t going to happen (likely in our lifetime) and LCD ain’t coming back — so it’s going to be flickering OLED screens from here on out — is my guess.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
My suspicion is that OLED screen technology has plateaued and there isn’t much more they can do to make these flicker monsters less problematic.
Micro-LED isn’t going to happen (likely in our lifetime) and LCD ain’t coming back — so it’s going to be flickering OLED screens from here on out — is my guess.
Once iPhone SE switches over to OLED, is Apple going to just give up on its PWM-sensitive customers?

Or… continue innovating and be the first manufacturer, finally, with modern flicker-free OLED panels?

I already know if there are no significant changes made one day I’ll have to either put up with migraines or find an alternative to having a modern smartphone.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Once iPhone SE switches over to OLED, is Apple going to just give up on its PWM-sensitive customers?

Or… continue innovating and be the first manufacturer, finally, with modern flicker-free OLED panels?

I already know if there are no significant changes made one day I’ll have to either put up with migraines or find an alternative to having a modern smartphone.
I don’t believe the iPhone 16 will be better than the iPhone 15. Apple is very slow with innovation and adapting new technology. And they have to rely on Samsung for their screens. The S24 came out and it isn’t better than the iPhone 15pm. The Chinese manufacturers are figuring it out. The honor looks like a very promising phone. So apple might catch up with this technology with the 17/18 lineup. Maybe even the 19.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

I wonder if PWM is the reason some people are experiencing these symptoms?

Maybe this will get more research and attention so Apple will need to come up with a solution across all of their products. Probably just wishful thinking though.

jtl_

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Canada
For some prior history, the first MacBooks with LED displays were released in 2008 and were infamous for introducing many people to the PWM issue (see *that* ancient Apple forum thread). But by ~2010 Apple quietly switched to a different backlight controller that (if I recall) utilized constant current dimming above 50% and switched to ~100KHz PWM below and fewer people had issues with it. Of course with an industry wide awareness of this issue there is both an opportunity for differentiation of products (i.e marketing) and potential empirical research to be conducted to back it up.

As a counterpoint to the above example, look at the OLED Touch Bar and how it's flickering was never "solved". Of course with it being removed in newer products perhaps the postsales market research didn't justify further investment (i.e required R&D) to "solve" it.

Considering how conservative Apple is with new features (i.e delayed introduction of new mobile standards, OLED) there was some wishful thinking among some they would've "solved" this before introducing OLED displays to Apple's product line. But I think at this point the same resistance holds true towards solutions of issues unfortunately.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Just saw a bit on the news about Apple Vision giving users head and neck aches and they're returning them or calling Apple. Story said Apple is telling people to take a break every 20 to 30 minutes during the acclimation period.
This could get interesting!!!

Reactions: DJTaurus

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I’m certainly ready to upgrade to an iPhone 16 Pro in five months. It will be disappointing if it’s exactly the same as all previous generations.

Reactions: PwmMen

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
I’m certainly ready to upgrade to an iPhone 16 Pro in five months. It will be disappointing if it’s exactly the same as all previous generations.
Nothing I've seen leads me to believe it will be any better. We can always hope, but when the only update I see is "more efficient OLED" I just think more PWM.

Reactions: GlenK

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
2015 was when I first used an iPhone. It was given to me. I hated them for some irrational reason even though I didn’t have one. So now I did.
I never wanted one and never missed one. I had a flip phone and it was plenty.

It took me a long time for me to stop despising my new to me iPhone. I really didn’t like it at all.

After a long period- several months, I got kind of used to its horrible OS and accepted it for what it was.
Now it doesn’t bother me the same way anymore though I frequently say out loud - god I hate iPhone.

iPhones are totally not necessary. They are an addictive toy. I can’t say that I’m any happier now than when before I used one. My life was actually definitely a lot BETTER not using one.

So consider that. I think everyone whose continually whining about iPhone usage pain is addicted to them (easy to do) and the ROOT problem isn’t eyestrain…. It’s iPhone addiction.

Face up to it. These things are definitely toxic.

johhno140

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
I don’t disagree that they are toxic, but I fundamentally disagree with the premise that it is an addiction issue. I accept for some it might be, but it is most definitely not due to an addiction on my part. Would I like a new iPhone with the additional features it has, yes I would, can I comfortably use one without it causing discomfort, no I can not. So I choose not to and make do with a very much older and inferior mobile phone.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have an update. Many of you know I have struggled since the X and have been using the 11 for 4 years. I also wondered for many years how much my tendencies for self-induced symptoms played a role. I triend all of the 15 models. For me, the 15, 15 Pro, and 15 Plus were debilitating but the 15 PM was the best I have used to date. I used it for 4 weeks during the extended holiday return period and while it was tolerable for much of the time, it was really bothering me when I returned it 2 days before the return period closed.

I then asked if anyone thought using the 15 PM as a camera of sorts for my concerts was irrational. I had a string of concerts to attend mid-march and "rented" yet another 15PM. Low and behold, the 14 day window came and went and here I am still using it. It is not perfect, but it is bothering very little. I think a big difference is I am just using it, not testing it. I think in my normal day to day use, it works. Anyway, just sharing. I expect no improvements with the 16 series but I am excited for the rumored 6.3/6.4" screen. That would be my sweet spot.

Abiyork

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
2015 was when I first used an iPhone. It was given to me. I hated them for some irrational reason even though I didn’t have one. So now I did.
I never wanted one and never missed one. I had a flip phone and it was plenty.

It took me a long time for me to stop despising my new to me iPhone. I really didn’t like it at all.

After a long period- several months, I got kind of used to its horrible OS and accepted it for what it was.
Now it doesn’t bother me the same way anymore though I frequently say out loud - god I hate iPhone.

iPhones are totally not necessary. They are an addictive toy. I can’t say that I’m any happier now than when before I used one. My life was actually definitely a lot BETTER not using one.

So consider that. I think everyone whose continually whining about iPhone usage pain is addicted to them (easy to do) and the ROOT problem isn’t eyestrain…. It’s iPhone addiction.

Face up to it. These things are definitely toxic.

Its the modern age, of course everyone could live without one but why the hell should we?!

Also have no idea why you telling us how you hate iphone or IOS adds anything to the arguement.

I have an iphone 11 (its the only one I can use without pain) and I run a business from it. Emails, messages, studioninja booking app, zoom calls, banking, Sat nav, ebay business, website updates....... I also have a family account so me and my wife can monitor our kids usage and know where they are at all times.

I also watch movies during train travel, stream music and it links up to my cars apple play. My apple watch reports back to my phone to track my exercise and monitors my heart rate.

No 'flip phone' can do that and just because you choose not to embrace new technology doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to use it pain free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.