Facebook and Google Would Like Apple to Feature Them More Prominently on iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

At AllThingsD's mobile conference today, executives from both Google and Facebook said they would like to have deeper and more extensive integration with Apple's iOS -- and both would like to be featured more prominently in the operating system, though neither company seemed to think such a development was very likely.

Google chairman Eric Schmidt, according to CNET, spoke today about Google and Apple's interactions related to apps:
    While of course Google wants to be featured more on iOS, it seems the company has accepted Apple's decision to develop its own mapping app.

Talking about Facebook's rollout of Chat Heads and other features in its iOS app today, Facebook CTO Mike Schroepfer and mobile head Cory Ondrejka were repeatedly asked by Kara Swisher if Facebook had ever actually asked Apple if it could have Chat Heads appear universally throughout iOS, like it does on Facebook Home.
    Apple does have deeper ties with Facebook than most companies, offering significant integration of the service into iOS, but building Chat Heads into the iPhone would be an unprecedented expansion of that relationship.

Article Link: Facebook and Google Would Like Apple to Feature Them More Prominently on iOS
  2. komodrone, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2011
    I'd like Apple to show me Jony's secret lab. CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT WE WANT, CAN WE?
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 22, 2011
    Google is like the crazy girl that's trying to make her ex (Apple) jealous by hooking up with her new boyfriend (FB) in public. Gross.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Helios Prime
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, if they don't like iOS, they should build their own phone.

Oh, wait....
  6. macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Sep 9, 2008
    I wish Facebook would shrivel up and drop off.
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Denton, TX
    I never understood the meltdown about Apple maps...they have ALWAYS worked great for me. I live in Texas and go to some "in the middle of nowhere" places and they have done their job for me. Have they led me other places sometimes? Yes, but Google maps have done the same thing.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Apple has their philosophy, it got them this far. I doubt they change it for a possible transient social network application.
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 3, 2011
    I would like for everyone in the world to get along and for pollution to be replaced by cotton candy. Pretty sure I have an equal chance of what I want to come true as Google and Facebook have of their wants to come true.
  10. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2012
  11. macrumors member

Apr 13, 2008
    Two words for Google and Facebook (especially Facebook)

Go Away
  12. macrumors 65816

May 25, 2012
  13. macrumors 68020

Jun 11, 2007
    Of course they want to ship with every iphone and ipad!

Most people don't want FB taking over their phone, especially iphone users. Sure, some want that but it's not enough for apple to consider compromising their complete vertical integration for it.

FB, Google, and most people know what Apple is about and what they will never do.
  14. macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Apr 1, 2005
    Captain Obvious

In other news, people in Hell want air conditioning and ice water.

How is this news, especially when Schmidt declines to discuss the rift with Apple or anything he's willing to do to mend it?
  15. macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2012
    naw duh u want yourself more in ios because there like a billion ios devices
  16. monkor, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

macrumors regular

May 25, 2012
    The chat heads seem intriguing and I do think FB is onto something here, but I'm not sure Apple would allow that intrusive an app. I rarely use FB messenger, but I can imagine if it were implemented in that manner I would consider using it a lot more. For me, one of the most frustrating features on any phone (iOS or Android) is having to exit out/app switch what I'm currently doing to continue IM conversations. It's not major, but it's definitely a nuisance.

But (and not to turn this into a Google vs. Apple thing) I do wish I could set my maps provider to Google by default. Just a preference.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2012
    I want less integration especially with FB. What we need is software to block tracking and collecting data by companies like FB. Google isn't much better but at least they don't try and force themselves as much as Facebook does.

It doesn't matter if you are a facebook user or not - they are the absolute picture of what is wrong with the modern media world.

If they become more integrated with IOS then I may just go to a dumb phone again. I can't stand them. Mark Z wants to rule the world.

Apple stand up for yourself and for your users. If people want to be in the facebook world let them get a facebook phone and leave the rest of the world alone.
  18. macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes because it is so intrusive now. :rolleyes:
  19. macrumors 6502a

Apr 12, 2012
    That's like Apple asking Google to offer iTunes on Android. GG.
  20. KTF
    macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2010
    New York City
  21. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    can we please pleeeaaase dig in deeper like measly ticks we are
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2010
    - Not many people want to have those stupid chat heads floating around all the time or popping out of nowhere.

- Not many people want to chat all the time or care about fb.

- Not many people want to have their activity tracked specifically by google.

- Keep google and fb off of iOS as much as possible, please.

- I love iOS map. It hasn't fail me and my wife since we started using it. We don't want google to track us for their ad business. So, iOS map is good for us. We will never go back to google map, even if iOS map will never be as good, but we all know it's not true. iOS map will be as good if not better in time.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2012
    Google & Facebook

Google & Facebook are so full of themselves. The best part of their apps are in my trash bin.
  24. macrumors 6502

Oct 8, 2009
    Really kind of astounding how entitled these people are.

I'd love Apple to feature my App more. Hell, a "What's hot" or "App of the week" would be fine and dandy.... much less than Facebook or Google want, which is really for Apple to embed their technology at the OS level.

The reason Apple made their own maps is that they discovered, painfully, that trusting google was a major mistake, when google turned around and ripped off iOS to make android.

Let's not forget that Facebook is also being completely hypocritical here, after saying yes to ping, and then pulling it at the last minute, they want Apple to be open with them?

Or google, which refuses to respect anyone's privacy, and is all kinds of closed but wants access to everyone elses' info and platforms?
  25. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2008
    I can see chat heads coming to iOS as part of the Facebook integration that already exists. After watching the Cory's reaction to some of the questions I get the vibe that it's a feature that's coming in the next iOS.