Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Not only that it drains the battery in the background but it also causes the music app volume to be toned down when you resume after looking at a video in the Facebook app. I always close the app after I finish using it anyway. But I do prefer the mobile site over the app. The mobile site is the only way to have both the Facebook and Messenger combined still as an alternative to two apps on your iPhone.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Why'd people still use that?

And I wish Pokémon Shuffle didn't eat my battery like crazy too.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
This has been an issue for me too. I have background app refresh off and no notifications for Facebook, and it still shows about twice the amount of background activity to on screen time in battery stats. I prefer the app functionality over safari, but it they don't get this worked out soon I will have to give in and delete it.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
how do you get the details of the app battery usage...underneath where it says "X" screen time and "XX" background time

Thanks in advance.
I'm on an iPhone 6...not sure if that is why

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
They are just addressing this now. Facebook and Messenger have always been battery hogs.
Exactly. People have been "suspecting" Facebook to be the primary battery drain on their phones but it wasn't until iOS9 that average people can actually prove it. So it really is pretty bad that FB didn't acknowledge this until now.

Reactions: haruhiko

CadenZ15

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
That's not a Facebook problem, but directly related to what kind of people you apparently associate with.

I was gonna say the same thing xD
I only have family and close friends on mine, makes it much more useful and less of a time-sink

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I was gonna say the same thing xD
I only have family and close friends on mine, makes it much more useful and less of a time-sink
Same for me.

But people are quick to blame an app for problems in their social circle. "Bohoo, iMessage is a stupid app, because my wife sent me a message saying that she wants to divorce me!!" ;)

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I just turn off notifications and background app refresh. That really limits how often you use facebook.
I deleted the app a couple weeks ago and just visit via Safari now. Resolves all battery issues ...and it's much easier to ignore until I'm looking for something to do. The mobile version of the website is pretty darn good.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Same for me.

But people are quick to blame an app for problems in their social circle. "Bohoo, iMessage is a stupid app, because my wife sent me a message saying that she wants to divorce me!!" ;)
Wow, chill out. I never blamed FB, I just simply said it was getting old and I was thinking about removing my account. Sheez, way to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
I've been thinking of deleting my Facebook profile. All people use FB for is to brag about what they just bought or where they're going. Basically, who has the bigger wallet.
I killed mine for 6 months once but reactivated it after a favorite professor died. All the info about getting together to remember him was being planned on FB. I only really peek in to keep up with what people are up to. I'm just going to use Safari from now on so I can block the crap out of all the ads.

Reactions: btrach144

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
how do you get the details of the app battery usage...underneath where it says "X" screen time and "XX" background time

Thanks in advance.
I'm on an iPhone 6...not sure if that is why

Click on the clock to the right of Last 24 hours / Last 7 Days toggle

Reactions: BJMRamage

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
How about the option to choose which apps are left in the background in the first place? So when I click the home button it totally kills the app.

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Did anyone else notice chrome is listed as using 9% even though it is used 1/4 of the screen time and no background time. It would be @16 %

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Why'd people still use that?

And I wish Pokémon Shuffle didn't eat my battery like crazy too.
Never mind the TMSC vs Samsung controversy - every time I go thru my friends phones with battery issues - its the same thing

1-Facebook/what's app running amok
2-Background app refresh on for everything
3-Location and Notification on for every app
4-App Store (music/app/books) auto installation on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.