Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
But But But it's it's the iPhone 9.02 update, ever since I updated... My battery drains!!!! This sucks. Apple you suck. Can't you get it right? All your software sucks! sucks! sucks!!! of course it's s/

Oops. I just now *realized* that IT'S THE APPS STUPID!

My bet is like .0000009% of people that bitch and moan don't even EVER look to see that things like LOCATION SERVICES are engaged on apps like EVERYTHING.

People, listen and listen good. Go into "your" settings -- not Apple's and spend 10 minutes of your precious time investigating YOUR APPS that YOU DOWNLOADED and verify the settings that can and probably are overly draining your battery!

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Wow, chill out. I never blamed FB, I just simply said it was getting old and I was thinking about removing my account. Sheez, way to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Yes, let's ignore the part where you said how "all people use FB for is to brag about what they just bought or where they're going. Basically, who has the bigger wallet." I don't know how a statement about how people who use Facebook only use it as a wallet-comparision app translates into "it was getting old". Do you always insult people, and when someone calls you out on it, you go "Sheez, way to make a mountain out of a mole hill"?

Why don't you post a status update on Facebook saying "All updates by my Facebook friends are about comparing who has the bigger wallet" and let's see how they react to it.

Reactions: tooloud10

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
My bet is like .0000009% of people that bitch and moan don't even EVER look to see that things like LOCATION SERVICES are engaged on apps like EVERYTHING.

Duh!

nothing to do with this issue. Facebook hasn't even requested location services for me, so doesn't appear in the location services list. background app refresh is disabled. yet it can run for hours in the background with just a few minutes of use.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Too late, already uninstalled it.
bye-1.gif

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Facebook app is a repeat battery-life abuser since forever ago. Nice to see they can't hide anymore with the new battery statistics.

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
But if background app refresh is turned off, why is this even an issue? I see this being just as much Apple's problem as it is Facebook's

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I gave the Facebook app the boot after the separate messenger app nonsense. I can't see any value to it over the mobile site, beyond the invasive, always running value it adds for them.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Not only will Facebook use a ton of battery, but I had it use up all of my data plan when uploading a video. It got into some kind of retry loop when I was on a poor cell signal (NOT the iOS 9 Wifi->cell thing). I think it would fail to upload, try again, fail, try again, and all of the sudden I was getting messages from AT&T saying I was at 90% of plan usage, and I looked at iOS and it said Facebook had used 3.9 GB of data!

So for me, facebook app is also in the doghouse. The battery usage also used to be really bad, but ever since I prevented it from using cell data and stopped background app refresh, it stays tame - though useless unless on wifi.

Reactions: haruhiko

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
People were complaining bad battery life due to Samsung chip while all along the culprit was Facebook. :)

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
But if background app refresh is turned off, why is this even an issue? I see this being just as much Apple's problem as it is Facebook's
The problem is that Facebook garbage is not obeying the settings - possible forever and now they were caught

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I wont be installing any facebook app updates until they start doing a real change log to tell me what they are doing.....not the b.s.. statement they post........

Reactions: CamiMR

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i thought this was a feature!!!!! when you go to settings -> facebook -> settings , background app refresh is tuned on and greyed out

i always have background off, mine says last 7 days , 5.8 hours screen and 9.6 hours background @ 28%

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
The problem with Facebook is you say "No, don't run the background" and Facebook thinks "I know you said no, but you really meant yes and its the best thing".

Facebook, I know your reading this. NO MEANS NO!!!! Respect our choices and just live with it.

Reactions: phillytim

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
background app refresh is not the only way an app can run in the background. other examples include audio (mentioned as a possible cause in the article) and VoIP apps, which can run their service to listen for calls. so there are 'legit' ways to run in background without BAR but whether Facebook are playing by the rules is in doubt.

you're right that it could also or alternatively be an iOS bug that Apple need to sort. mostly likely Apple and Facebook will be liasing about this

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
The Facebook app really needs rewriting. It takes an age to load on my 5S (not a new phone by any means, but shoudl this open in <5 seconds?). Am seriously considering using the mobile web version instead.

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Facebook today acknowledged its awareness of an issue raised by a few iOS users last week, who saw large amounts of battery drain on their iPhones while the social networking app ran in the background, even with background app refresh toggled off. Speaking with TechCrunch, a Facebook spokesperson confirmed the company's awareness of the bug and promised a fix would be in place "soon."

Yet another reason (among many others) to use Paper for Facebook instead of the official Facebook app itself: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paper-stories-from-facebook/id794163692?mt=8

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL

Background app refresh is different than the traditional background services. When you use background app refresh, it's only for quick updates like refreshing Facebook or Twitter feed. It's periodic and usually small. The traditional background services, however, is for stuff like VOIP, location services, music, etc. This uses up a lot more battery. As the article says, several sites speculate that Facebook is keeping an audio track open in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.