Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
get it at the app store before it becomes all buggy ;)

hipsters ...

295bw37.png

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
No they won't. They just got a billion dollars.
That is like saying your house got the money when you sold it to someone else.

Instagram didn't get a billion dollars. Instagram's former owners did. Facebook owns Instagram now and they didn't get a billion--they just spent it (well, likely they didn't "spend" or give a billion dollars--if a lot of stock was involved).

Michael

Last edited:

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Fiscally Irresponsible

This offer just reminds my why I will not buy stock in Facebook and why I use Facebook so little. Assuming Apple controls at 50 percent of the smartphone market and what applications are allowed. It would be very easy for Apple to release a similar app tomorrow and then disallow the Instagram app because it offers redundant services. This is a very big risk with low potential return.

I think that I am seeing an end to Facebook....

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I'm a really big fan of instagram. I don't enjoy it so much for the filters as I do for the photo-sharing community that is on it. It was a cool way to just snap a photo of a cool place you are, something delicious you just cooked, or even a way to upload photos taken with an SLR.

It's a really simple, well-designed app that has had good support and been a treat to use. I've heard a number of people say that this was the tipping point for them getting an iPhone.

Please, facebook. Don't ruin a good thing!

----------

get it at the app store before it becomes all buggy ;)

What's with all the hipsters in here anyway...

You're really surprised to find hipsters in an Apple forum? Who do you think made it cool to sit in a coffee shop with a macbook? ;)

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
This offer just reminds my why I will not buy stock in Facebook and why I use Facebook so little. Assuming Apple controls at 50 percent of the smartphone market and what applications are allowed. It would be very easy for Apple to release a similar app tomorrow and then disallow the Instagram app because it offers redundant services. This is a very big risk with low potential return.

I think that I am seeing an end to Facebook....

I’m still trying to pull my jaw off the floor..... IS INSTAGRAM REALLY WORTH A BILLION FREAKING DOLLARS?

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Any recommendations for a replacement app?

I assume you're talking about a replacement app FOR Instagram right? Why is everyone giving you editing apps/filters?

I came across http://www.pudding.to/ It seems like it's the underdog for photo sharing & filtering now.

On another note, it's so many clueless people who know nothing about Instagram. Everyone DOESN'T use the built in filters or even use just their phones to take photos. How can you criticize an app you've only heard about? I don't think most people are claiming to be the greatest of Photographers but it's a nice app (for a mobile device) to share photos, etc. I'm not advocating for the post of a boy pop band or a girl in the mirror with duck lips, or showing us what she wore today. I'm talking about the amateur who captured the Brooklyn Bridge, played around with the contrast and is seeking advice/opinions on how to make it better, or just a simple "Nice capture". Every photographer (or artist, musician, architect) started out as an amateur. Get over yourselves.

I won't make the plunge to delete my account just yet. I'm trying to remain optimistic about this acquisition.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
do you know something I don't? care to share?

Anything you post on services like Instagram or Facebook is there forever.

When you "delete" something it is simply flagged as deleted in the database and no longer shows up in production queries. All your content and information still exists on their servers for them to do with as they please.

Nothing you post on the internet is ever deleted.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Now why have I been getting flashbacks from the dot-com bubble increasingly frequent lately? :p

Well, nice for the people behind Instagram. Can't blame them for cashing in...

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Haters gonna hate

Why all of the hate for this transaction? It's a free app, if you don't like it, delete from your phone. Do you honestly think the new multi-millionaires give a freak about you not using Instagram anymore? People nowadays.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I don't understand all the griping, the Facebook team hasn't implemented anything yet. People are quick to critize based off assumptions. I have used instagram a few times and it's pretty cool. Will Facebook be implemented into it? I think so, if it were my money!

My point being: lets observe this transaction and the events to follow before we come to a conclusion.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Congratulations for the developers to Instagram. I probably would've done the same :p

Again, what does this mean for Facebook? What purpose will Instagram serve?
Facebook now has access to Instagram's 15+ million users.

I’m still trying to pull my jaw off the floor..... IS INSTAGRAM REALLY WORTH A BILLION FREAKING DOLLARS?

The app? no.
customers who use instagram? yes

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Why all of the hate for this transaction? It's a free app, if you don't like it, delete from your phone. Do you honestly think the new multi-millionaires give a freak about you not using Instagram anymore? People nowadays.

Hey now. Those people were enjoying a free app that they obviously had use for, and now they can't anymore because they can't stand the new owner. In other words, they have arguably lost something. The app being free does not mean that it didn't have any value.

Nothing you post on the internet is ever deleted.

Sure it is, happens all the time. All it takes is some bad luck coupled with a suboptimal backup strategy for example. Sometimes a few posts are lost, other times entire communities are completely wiped out and permanently shut down because of deleted content.

Oh, you meant intentionally deleted? ;)

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Shame facebook thinks it can do proper photography with a mobile app. There are things called "digital cameras" that do the same job and better :D.

I'll keep using my Nikon DSLR thanks :cool:.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
i dont get it - why?

Why it was sold? Money. Lots of it.

Why it was bought? Could be many reasons...
a) Existing users and content to boost numbers
b) Preventing someone else to buy it
c) Because they could

JasonH42

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
Great news for the Instagram developers!

Probably not so great news for investors interested in suckerberg's looming IPO. Insane, reckless purchase at that price tag.

Looking forward to seeing him attempt to justify the valuation...

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Things are worth what the free market is willing to pay for them. If FB wsa willing to part with a billion dollars for Instagram, than at this particular point in time, it's worth that much, regardless if there were 1 or 1000 buyers.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
I think one of the main reasons of putting this on Macrumors was so people can delete their Instagram now. FB is a monster, who knows what they'll do to our pictures! Main reason I don't use FB, new privacy settings every 2 weeks piss the ***** out of me.

Rant completed.
20XP points gained
Level up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.