Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
It's funny that we even have to address this because there are obnoxious people out there that don't know any better. We have to tell them what is good social etiquette and what isn't.

This is the ugly side of technology.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
If the DOT wants to decide what is "fair" to consumers, I hope they will also look into if it is "fair" to allow someone to sit in a seat they cannot possibly fit into and intrude into the seat next to them. It's not "fair" to have to contend with out of control kids either. While on my rant, let's throw in the ridiculous size of the bags people try to bring on board as carry ons. They can hardly lift those bags over their heads, let alone fit them into the compartment. Pisses me off the airlines let this stuff continue... Thanks for listening, now back to booking my next flight:rolleyes:

coolboy561995

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Quiet zones like on trains?

If people want privacy then maybe they could put in designated areas where phones could be used? That way others wouldn't be disturbed (since engine noise pretty much drowns out a the voice a couple of seats away)

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
100 ppl chatting away out loud?

**** no.

But. I also say hell no to regulation. Let the airlines decide to make this policy or not.

It's funny when people believe X is bad, but they don't want to be told by their government that X is bad. Typical hypocritical American mindset.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Has everyone forgotten the GTE/Verizon phones that were in seat backs for years? On the several hundred flights I flew from 2004-2007 for work, I never saw a single person use those phones even though they were installed on 75+% of the aircraft I flew on.

Why? I'm guessing the number one reason is that they were prohibitively expensive for the average person. The second reason may have been that the quality was lacking -- although I have no first-hand experience using the phones so I'm not sure about that.

All the airlines have to do is make it prohibitively expensive for the average person to make cell calls in flight (which they likely will) and make sure that the call quality is average, at best (which it probably will be) to keep most people away from making cell calls in flight.

People are freaking out about this; but I really think it's a non-issue. Go ahead, install the technology to make in-flight voice calls over cellular possible. I still don't think we're going to see cabins full of people all yelling at the top of their lungs as they try to carry on conversations at 35,000 feet because it's likely going to be priced per minute just like most international roaming.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
That's the last thing we need is 200 people in a small space talking over each other 20,000 ft up.

"HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? SORRY IM ON A PLANE AND ITS REALLY NOISY"

I don't like the idea of this either, but let's look at reality:

1) You'll never get 200 people all talking at once. This doesn't happen on buses, trains, subways, or boats, so I'm not sure why it would happen here.
2) Even if 200 people are all talking at once, and you're the 201st person, it's YOU that isn't in the social norm, not everyone else. It might but you but there is no reason for the federal government to protect a hand full of people that are simply annoyed by people on phones. Note that this will never happen, and is a hypothetical case.

I don't like the idea of a dozen people talking on phones around me, BUT I don't think it's the federal governments job to ban all use of phones just because you fear someone might misuse the ability and it will simply annoy you. If this was a legitimate idea, society would be screaming for bans on all modes of transportation where people sit close together, but that isn't happening. Why? Because if the person on the bus next to me is on the phone, they aren't actually annoying.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
It's funny that we even have to address this because there are obnoxious people out there that don't know any better. We have to tell them what is good social etiquette and what isn't.

This is the ugly side of technology.

I'm sure phone carriers will come up with some sort of altitude roaming charges. :D Using the phone's built-in GPS receiver, they can calculate your height and charge you based on that. It's a ridiculous idea but it but fit in nicely with their customer-screwing plans.

txplt733

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
It's funny when people believe X is bad, but they don't want to be told by their government that X is bad. Typical hypocritical American mindset.

Since when does the Constitution guarantee life, liberty, and a quiet commercial airline flight (nevermind the fact that there would still be babies screaming and people chatting loudly who aren't on phones)? Regulation isn't the answer. Respect for others, and perhaps a good noise-cancelling headset is.

freedumbfighter

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
How do these government entities think that they have the right to ban cell phone calls on flights?!? These authoritarian losers make me sick.
Get. Out. Of. My. Life.

You. Sound. Exactly. Like. The. Guy. I. Do. Not. Want. To. Listen. To. Talking. On . Your. Mobile. In. Flight.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Since when does the Constitution guarantee life, liberty, and a quiet commercial airline flight (nevermind the fact that there would still be babies screaming and people chatting loudly who aren't on phones)? Regulation isn't the answer. Respect for others, and perhaps a good noise-cancelling headset is.

Well, you can also interpret it the other way: without regulation you are no longer going to have your freedom on a plane and you're definitely not going to be happy.

I just don't understand why some people are fundamentally against regulations, even if they disapprove of the thing that get's regulated. Government is not just there to screw people, it can actually help people. Believe it or not!

"Governments should be afraid of the people! The people should not be afraid of the government!"

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington

That's because the federal government is best used to deal with black and white situations. There are a lot of things I don't personally find socially acceptable, like shutting a door in my face, flipping me off, or being too loud at the dinner table next to me, BUT I don't want the federal government stepping in and forcing people to hold doors open, or saying all hand gestures are illegal, or putting a maximum decibel level in every single eating establishment.

It is entirely possible to use phones on an aircraft and be socially acceptable, just as it is on every other mode of transportation. If anyone is being obnoxiously loud, you do exactly what you would do now, you ask them to be quiet, or you ask a flight attendant to tell them for you. People who lack social etiquette aren't going to be detoured by simply removing the phone, and all of us that do know what's socially acceptable can use phones without issue.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'm in favor of banning them on flights. I don't want to be stuck next to someone talking on their phone for the entire flight.

Serious question: Are you also supportive of banning cell phone use on other modes of transportation, such as buses, subways, trains, ferries, and shared taxis? Why or why not?

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
That's the last thing we need is 200 people in a small space talking over each other 20,000 ft up.

"HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? SORRY IM ON A PLANE AND ITS REALLY NOISY"

100 ppl chatting away out loud?

**** no.

But. I also say hell no to regulation. Let the airlines decide to make this policy or not.

I fly on average of 20+ flights a year and please no talking!

We business travelers want it quiet

And shut your baby up.

You're a terrible parent by letting it cry

I'm very happy with calls being banned on flights, not because the plane might crash, I just don't want to be next to someone for hours listening to them on the phone.

Me, too. I am not normally one big on regulation, but enough is enough. We should not have to ever shut our devices down, but voice calls should be avoided.

Is it really a place for the government to get involved, which is my quandary, but I fear them not getting involved may be a nightmare.

This is interesting, as it highlights why no issue is left or right, and how the truth/answer often lies in the middle.

Then don't fly. At least not on that airline.

Every single one of you would not be voting for that company, with your money, they allow that stuff to happen in flight. If enough people don't fly the airlines will get hurt and THEY will impose the rules on THEIR airline that people are not allowed to talk on their cell phones while on the plane. There is absolutely no reason for the government to get involved in a situation like this. The government has no right to control what a PRIVATE company can do with THEIR airplane.

Or just buy some noise cancelling headphones. There are plenty of them available, go buy some, put them on, and enjoy the silence that way. But you have NO RIGHT to tell other people that they can't use their cell phones, and then use the force of the government to impose your views on them.

The free market is perfectly capable of handling situations like this. If enough people vote with their money not to ride on an airline, then that airline either will change its policies, or it will go bankrupt, and its assets will be acquired by a better run airline in bankruptcy. Then the better policies of that airline will be available on more airplanes and the consumer will win.

They allow calling, then the airlines will charge passengers an extra premium for seating located in a quiet zone.

Or they could come up with an innovative idea like this. The FREE MARKET Will figure these things out, and the government has NO PLACE controlling a private company's operations, so long as the actions of the company are not threatening the individual rights of other people. Otherwise it's not a private company. Simple.

There's no regulation stating that you can't talk on your cell phone during a movie in a movie theater. Yet somehow we survive…

People need to toughen up and start handling business like this for themselves. Stop relying on the government to take care of the problems in your life for you.

Last edited:

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico

And shut your baby up.

It is obvious that you have no kids, i think you are one of those annoying business traveler that think flights are only for businessmen, and try to put your gigantic carry on inside the plane because you don't have time to wait for your baggage at baggage claim, fyi every one thinks he or she is the perfect traveler, but the reality is that no one is perfect not even if you fly 20+ times a year and think you have all figured out, yes yes you deserve the best attention because you travel a lot. get real, if you want to travel quiet and fast pay a charter plane, or even better get a private plane, if you can't afford it then your bad, and share a plane with 200 annoying people...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's funny how no one every complains about people talking on their phones on buses or trains...

Trains have quiet cars if that is what you are looking for. Buses are intrinsically noisy so talking becomes white noise, plus they are relatively short trips if you are talking about city buses. Planes OTOH are generally quiet & most people read, sleep, or use their electronic device... even then they either use headphones or mute their device out of respect to the people sitting near them. Phone on planes are just not a good idea. It's like a peanut butter and mustard sandwich.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Serious question: Are you also supportive of banning cell phone use on other modes of transportation, such as buses, subways, trains, ferries, and shared taxis? Why or why not?

The problem is that it's currently allowed and I'm against banning something after the fact (as much as I hate listening to people talk on their cell phones).

If it was already acceptable to use your cell phone on a plane, I would be against banning it.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
What about radios? Those don't even transmit anything, and they're banned.

----------

And shut your baby up.

This times 100. Babies don't have self-esteem; make them shut up.

txplt733

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
Well, you can also interpret it the other way: without regulation you are no longer going to have your freedom on a plane and you're definitely not going to be happy.

I just don't understand why some people are fundamentally against regulations, even if they disapprove of the thing that get's regulated. Government is not just there to screw people, it can actually help people. Believe it or not!

"Governments should be afraid of the people! The people should not be afraid of the government!"

Because I believe taking away liberties by means of regulation should be a last resort. You may see outlawing cell phones on planes as offering more freedom, but I personally don't. To me it doesn't matter if the person seated behind me is talking on their cell phone loudly or chatting with their seatmate loudly. It's all the same to me, and chances are I'll have my headset on ignoring it all anyway. Someone else with a legitimate need to use their cell phone in flight (family emergency, etc) may see this as an even greater invasion of their liberties.

This is truly a matter of etiquette and common sense. It should be up to the airlines and their customers to decide.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009

And shut your baby up.

Obviously someone who has no idea about parenting!

As a father of a small child, believe me - when my child cries on a plane it is absolutely not by choice (mine or theirs), there is no 'mute' button with children and with very young children/babies there is no/little reasoning with them.

Most people i travel with are reasonable enough to understand this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.