Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
No. All you did was make a claim and say that all the proof I need is in the 322 pages of the FCC paper.

Do you still stand by your assertion that ISPs can't throttle under any circumstances?

Apparently you didn't read what you wrote and what I wrote. I have always said that an ISP cannot throttle content from consumers and providers. Carving out management is not throttling on a link budget... it is management of the link. I didn't bring management into it you did.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Don't know that utilitification is necessarily a good thing. Phone service and the power grid completely stagnated under utility-style governance - things didn't really start happening until that changed.

We'll see what if anything happens...

Renzatic

Suspended
Apparently you didn't read what you wrote and what I wrote. I have always said that an ISP cannot throttle content from consumers and providers. Carving out management is not throttling on a link budget is not throttling... it is management of the link. I didn't bring management into it you did.

Actually you did, because your entire argument seems to hinge on the fact you believe that net neutrality prevents good network management. Considering the fact that Tier 1 and 2 work with net neutrality as a basis already, these laws mostly concern communications between the ISP and its end users, who have suddenly decided to act as a barrier between the content providers and the people who want the content they're providing.

Everything you've brought up is entire moot to the meat of the discussion. It does nothing to change the way the internet works as it does now. It won't lead to sudden garbage links or anything else you've stated. Most importantly, you've yet to provide a single link or shred of evidence beyond "it does, trust me, you don't know what you're talking about". I've gone through the last three pages reading our conversation, and....no, you haven't. Don't claim you have, because it's a bald faced lie.

But I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. Explain the problem, why it'll lead to garbage this, or agreement complications that, and provide a link or post a picture beyond Bright-Lines that the problem stems from the FCC paper directly.

...or call me stupid again, and pat yourself on the back. Whichever.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
Actually you did, because your entire argument seems to hinge on the fact you believe that net neutrality prevents good network management. Considering the fact that Tier 1 and 2 work with net neutrality as a basis already, these laws mostly concern communications between the ISP and its end users, who have suddenly decided to act as a barrier between the content providers and the people who want the content they're providing.

Everything you've brought up is entire moot to the meat of the discussion. It does nothing to change the way the internet works as it does now. It won't lead to sudden garbage links or anything else you've stated. Most importantly, you've yet to provide a single link or shred of evidence beyond "it does, trust me, you don't know what you're talking about". I've gone through the last three pages reading our conversation, and....no, you haven't. Don't claim you have, because it's a bald faced lie.

But I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. Explain the problem, why it'll lead to garbage this, or agreement complications that, and provide a link or post a picture beyond Bright-Lines that the problem stems from the FCC paper directly.

...or call me stupid again, and pat yourself on the back. Whichever.

I never once said that net neutrality stopped network management. I just went back and read all of my posts again and have multiple responses to you that say network management and QoS is fully allowed. Please read our whole chain. This is getting tiresome. It starts on page 7.

Renzatic

Suspended
I never once said that net neutrality stopped network management. I just went back and read all of my posts again and have multiple responses to you that say network management and QoS is fully allowed. Please read our whole chain. This is getting tiresome. It starts on page 7.

Really? That "instead" makes it sound like you're arguing otherwise...

Wow, you are lost. You still do not understand. With this ruling an ISP will not have the ability to sell dedicated managed services to small and large businesses who want guaranteed bandwidth between their campuses and branches, unless they buy dedicated leased line services. The price of business for large and small companies just went higher because now they have to pay for leased line services instead of QoS treatment within a service provider network.

So what are we arguing about?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
And, right on cue, up jumps the states' rights blather. In a couple of states, state law prohibits municipal internet service from expanding past local limits. Even if people want it to come their way.

Sadly, the commercial providers are not interested in those exurbs, presumably because there is not enough profit to be made there. But state law will not let public internet service reach the unserved, even if the potential subscribers want the service and the municipal provider wants to provide it. I guess to protect the big companies from competition in areas where they do not even want to compete.

So the federal government wants to stop the states from beating up on their cities and counties, but the Rs think states' rights are more important than local rights.

Yeah, it looks to me like hypocrisy and double standards are simple natural features of the R/RW perspective.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
What if the real world was this way

The cars would belong to us, but driving on the highway would cost money. The roads are owned, all of them, by private industry. They not only have the right to charge you a toll to pay off the construction, but to charge that toll in perpetuity. All the roads belong to four or five billionaires. Oh, you can find a dirt road here and there, but you can't go much of anywhere without the Big Road Owners. There would be lots of smaller communities without any roads whatsoever, and they would die out. But not only that. All the rest stops and stores along the road would have to pay vigorish to the roads, and a large number of them would be Owned and Operated by the Big Road Company. If you want to put a store by the road, they decide whether you can build or not. And here's the really funny thing: they don't want to be in the road business. Roads are commodities. They want to be in the business of selling you things that come over the road. And those things they own, they make sure you know about it, and they also say, "Well, if you like A, you can have it very cheap, but only if you buy B and C. You say you don't like the deal. They say, well, you can use another road. But you can't really. That's what the cable/Satellite/phone company tripod is like.

My principle is very simple: ISPs are there to be a road. You pay for their use. What you do on the road, and where you go, that is entirely up to you.

Another simple principle is, you can charge more the better the service is, but blackmail is not going to be a business method.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
http://www.hughesnet.com

I have no doubt that DSL is also available.

I had HughesNet because I live in a rural area and nothing else was available.

This is actually a good analogy, since HN shuts off your Internet if you use too much. Netflix or other video on demand is non-existent. VoIP doesn't work (Skype, FaceTime) because the latency is too poor.

This is not really an alternative, unless you surf web pages or just do email.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
The cars would belong to us, but driving on the highway would cost money. The roads are owned, all of them, by private industry. They not only have the right to charge you a toll to pay off the construction, but to charge that toll in perpetuity. All the roads belong to four or five billionaires. Oh, you can find a dirt road here and there, but you can't go much of anywhere without the Big Road Owners. There would be lots of smaller communities without any roads whatsoever, and they would die out. But not only that. All the rest stops and stores along the road would have to pay vigorish to the roads, and a large number of them would be Owned and Operated by the Big Road Company. If you want to put a store by the road, they decide whether you can build or not. And here's the really funny thing: they don't want to be in the road business. Roads are commodities. They want to be in the business of selling you things that come over the road. And those things they own, they make sure you know about it, and they also say, "Well, if you like A, you can have it very cheap, but only if you buy B and C. You say you don't like the deal. They say, well, you can use another road. But you can't really. That's what the cable/Satellite/phone company tripod is like.

My principle is very simple: ISPs are there to be a road. You pay for their use. What you do on the road, and where you go, that is entirely up to you.

Another simple principle is, you can charge more the better the service is, but blackmail is not going to be a business method.

Adding a bit more...

Now also imagine that you can Pay these four or five billionaires to leap frog other peoples car's at traffic lights, to the front of the line. Now imagine that the costs structures are aimed toward large freight hauling companies, so big 18-wheelers are always jump in front of you at every light.

That was the "priority/tier" system companies like ComCast and Verizon specifically were trying to be allowed to put in place. Not only do you have pay for the road, pay to continue using the road, pay for the SPEED and SIZE of car you are allowed to drive, but you also have to pay for priority in using the road. Pay 4 times, or more.

=====

ComCast and Verizon brought this regulation on themselves. Regardless of what one thinks of regulation here is the reality: If you are an industry and you can't regulate yourself in a way that the public of your operating region agree with, you WILL be regulated by a government "of the people" regardless of how "good/bad" that government is at it.

The big telecoms and especially old guard cable companies have show they are unwilling to play nice with the consumer. Their business practices have brought them to this. If they didn't want to be regulated by the government they needed to change their attitudes long before this. The writing was in rather big nasty letters their executives chose to ignore.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Your first premise is false as that was never an issue.
Yes it was. The Internet was never meant to have companies set priority over content. This is what Verizon was trying to do to Netflix. Verizon decided that Netflix had to pay more because they were utilizing the resources that Netflix already paid for. Do you understand how packets proporgate through the Internet?

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon and Comcast try to sue this ruling into oblivion.

Of course. The monopolies don't like being told to play fair. They want to extract extra rent.

I bet 99.9% of the U.S. population has zero idea of what this FCC ruing really means or how it will affect them personally. That includes me.

It means that Comcast can't legally throttle Netflix just to extract more money from Netflix and You. It means that TWC can't favor its own content over anybody elses. Here is an article from last year about Verizon:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth

Forgive me if I still expect to be royally screwed by Comcast every month.

Are they the only game in town?

You can pretty much bet that if it's bad for Big Telecom then it's good for us.

Now the lawsuits begin.

Sad but true.

Net Neutrality is used as a power grab. This does not help us as consumers. It hurts us. Just another way for the current administration to tell you what to do and what's in your best interest. This is just step one.

How does it hurt consumers?

I hate Comcast, AT&T, TWC, etc.. they are all out there for money. The Internet should remain how its always been. Companies are using this as an excuse to hinder growth.

For those of you who are complaining about being monopolized, talk to your local government and ask them to bring in more competition. My city has a dozen or so of ISP's available from TWC, Comcast, Surewest, Google, AT&T, Satellite internet, etc.. The people spoke and got what they want!

If only I lived in some utopian dreamworld and believed that. This ruling is bad for the consumer. As are so many 'regulations'. Do some homework and find out the reality of it.

How exactly is it bad for the consumer?

I already did in the previous posts. That bright line entry from your own link is burning you up inside, right now... Because it shows how ignorant you are in this topic. You posted a link that directly refuted what you were arguing, and it just so happened to be on the second page of the link you sent.

I never said it broke the internet. You keep using some kind of hyper-extravaganza mentality here. I never said it was the end of the internet. Just said that we all get equal access to junk.

And to split the middle... not everyone had equal access to the internet. This was in the post to which you just responded. SLA/SLM is not allowed between ISPs anymore.

I will agree that if a free and fair market exists, regulations should not be needed. But, with AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast all throwing their weight around, the companies left it such that regulation was necessary.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Newsflash, Barack Obama is the worst President in U.S. history, has singlehandedly done more damage than good, and the country may take anywhere from 10-25 years to recover from his 8 years of corruption, if it can at all. At a point in history when so many things in this world are at crucial turning points, we have possibly gone into the dark ages of American Communism.

What can I say man? I've had better prosperity in my life the last 6 years than any other time.

I'm also one of those people that has relatives that lived through Mao's actual communism, so whenever I read one of these inflamatory buzz words, I have a mental drawer where I assign the validity and proper context of such statements.

Actually, it's more like a paper shredder than a drawer.

And for the record, call me dubious that the providers have people's best interests in mind, considering the stuff that's happened in my own state:

http://bgr.com/2014/12/03/att-vs-municipal-fiber/

Last edited:

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Well, maybe, just maybe, rural America can now have access to broadband since it is now a utility. I have family in the midwest that have to use either satellite or tether to their smart phones. Both solutions have significant limitations compared to DSL or cable (and the latter can be pretty bad).

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
Newsflash, Barack Obama is the worst President in U.S. history, has singlehandedly done more damage than good, and the country may take anywhere from 10-25 years to recover from his 8 years of corruption, if it can at all. At a point in history when so many things in this world are at crucial turning points, we have possibly gone into the dark ages of American Communism.

God, this forum is a joke.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Can ISP throttle down my VPN connection if they chose to do so?
I mean if Net Neutrality didn't exist

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
God, this forum is a joke.

Please, tell me how comfortable you are having Barack Obama as President of the United States of America, while you are posting from the internet halfway around the world, in Scotland? :roll eyes:

ETA: Have they released the language of the "bill" or "plan" they passed/approved so the American public could view it, or is this more of a "We have to pass it to see what's in it" type of thing...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.