Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
hehe, true.. sadly windows gaming experience is still better..

But the FIFA 2012 is much cheaper, $39.99 vs $56.90.. hmmm..

robertbrian23

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
From what I gathered, it's pretty much the same.. with better resolution and fast loading times ;)

unlike previous version that has big difference in gameplay, 2012 pc's and console's is the same..

thanks dude. atlong last, i've been following fifa games for quite a while. and not sure why they won't have the same features on different platforms. PC always lag behind the console where in fact, PC can have better processors, gpu, and other requirements for better gaming than consoles.

78doog

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
It is a cider wrap...transgaming did it. Bought Assassins Creed Brotherhood which I think is the same deal and it was a real pain in the ass, didn't recognise my keyboard half the time and I ended up wishing I had bough the xbox version......... awaiting reviews.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
It is a cider wrap...transgaming did it. Bought Assassins Creed Brotherhood which I think is the same deal and it was a real pain in the ass, didn't recognise my keyboard half the time and I ended up wishing I had bough the xbox version......... awaiting reviews.

That is what I'm afraid of, but still hopeful.. surprised at how low key this release is, it's a pretty big name and released the same day as its pc counterpart.. if only they released 'hybrid' version I don't mind paying 60-70 bucks..

Safest bet is just to buy the windows version and use bootcamp.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Who gives a ****?
Perhaps Swindon Town? After all, despite not having Rooney or Landycakes on their books they have their own bespoke FIFA 12 cover available...

0,,10341~10039141,00.jpg

Personally, I'm not a big fan of such games as I'm rubbish at them. Besides, all we Mac-owning, game-playing, football-loving losers know Football Manager is the proper way to wastefully fritter away our evenings. ;)

That notwithstanding though, the FIFA series is hugely popular and the arrival of hugely popular games on the Mac platform can surely only be a good thing. Hopefully it'll be a good port too.

masterofbuckets

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009

iPawl

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Malta
Anyone knows if I decide to buy the game, I have to get the Mac version, or the PC version will work?

Can't find a retail version of the Mac version. Or anywhere on EA's website. Am I missing something? :confused:

NintendoToad

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
No, you aren't. It appears to be marketed through TransGaming's platform (GameTree Mac) only. And the game is probably kinda cross-platform - pull out the windows game files out of the Cider wrapper and voila.

Also, I played SPORE, and that was a bucket of fun.

iPawl

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Malta
No, you aren't. It appears to be marketed through TransGaming's platform (GameTree Mac) only. And the game is probably kinda cross-platform - pull out the windows game files out of the Cider wrapper and voila.

Also, I played SPORE, and that was a bucket of fun.

Now it's starting to make sense. I think I'm probably better off with Bootcamp and a normal retail version I guess. Wish my friends went PS3 rather then PC on this one.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
I bought it, the game runs really well on my base 2011 13 inch Air. Only problem is that you have to click on the lower side of menu items because the mouse is slightly off. Also, get a controller, trying to play this with a keyboard sucks.

All in all, I'd say its a great game and a good port, I recommend it.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I bought it, the game runs really well on my base 2011 13 inch Air. Only problem is that you have to click on the lower side of menu items because the mouse is slightly off. Also, get a controller, trying to play this with a keyboard sucks.

Thank you; in real terms, how difficult is it to play with keyboard and mouse?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Not easy.

A controller, you use the R1/2 L1/2 to do stuff in addition to the basic controls. Doing that on a keyboard is a nightmare. It isn't to say you couldn't become amazingly awesome at the keyboard, but the controller is the easiest and best to go for. Pick up some cheap PS2 controllers on eBay, and get the PS2 to USB adapter so you can plug them in (the adapter supports two controllers at once, so taking up a single USB slot).

When I went on holiday, I took my laptop. Played Fifia 10 on the plane there, and when we got to our rented villa, I was able to hook up my laptop to the TV there (geek bag had a VGA cable in stock luckily) and the quality was great, if not better than the PS3*

*Not sure if Fifa 10 was 720p or 1080p on the PS3.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007

Great to hear! What res do you play it in? Any noticeable lag or drop framerate?

I'm not sure how gametreemac policy on installing this game on 2 macs, and I can't seem to find it on their FAQ page..

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011

Horrendous, I would not recommend it at all. There are so many different buttons you have to push at once (example: sprint, shoot, finesse shot, and arrows) that it makes it hard to do it as well as you can with a controller. I'm used to Fifa on the Xbox, not a keyboard. Plus a joystick is much easier to control a player with than the arrow keys.

Great to hear! What res do you play it in? Any noticeable lag or drop framerate?

I'm not sure how gametreemac policy on installing this game on 2 macs, and I can't seem to find it on their FAQ page..

I play it in low resolution (it does it by default on my MacBook Air) and I have had no lag or framerate issues whatsoever. The only issue I've encountered is the mouse is a off on where it clicks, but that isn't a big deal to me as I use either a controller or keyboard.

Another thing that is annoying so far is that I am able to navigate the menu screens using a PS3 controller but not play the actual game. The game doesn't provide drivers for the controller and I tried to adjust the .ini for the gamepads to allow it but it didn't work. Blah

marrzie

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Horrendous, I would not recommend it at all. There are so many different buttons you have to push at once (example: sprint, shoot, finesse shot, and arrows) that it makes it hard to do it as well as you can with a controller. I'm used to Fifa on the Xbox, not a keyboard. Plus a joystick is much easier to control a player with than the arrow keys.

I play it in low resolution (it does it by default on my MacBook Air) and I have had no lag or framerate issues whatsoever. The only issue I've encountered is the mouse is a off on where it clicks, but that isn't a big deal to me as I use either a controller or keyboard.

Another thing that is annoying so far is that I am able to navigate the menu screens using a PS3 controller but not play the actual game. The game doesn't provide drivers for the controller and I tried to adjust the .ini for the gamepads to allow it but it didn't work. Blah

Which game pad are you using then? I really want to use my PS3 wireless controller. I guess if it will not work any other way I might try to map the keys with controller mate IV. I use that program to program hot keys for online poker and other games.
Would much prefer it to work without controller mate though since it takes so long to set it up and even longer to get it just right.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Thx for the reply again.. I think I'm gonna buy the PC version first to get the 'full experience'.. if it's that good, I'll buy the mac one..

So what controller are you using now?

mcdonaldtosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
Tried the game yesterday. Superior to the Xbox 360 on a hackintosh with 6850 Radeon. Everything set to max, 4xAA and High graphics went smooth. Having just ordered a 17 inch MBP, I hope it can retain the same settings.

If you're looking for a controller I highly recommend the Xbox 360 controller for Windows
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...N600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317388800&sr=8-1

Driver for the controller
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

You can also access the game from your Origin account, and download it through the Origin software for Windows, just like with Steam games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.