Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Noodles

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Has anyone run ffxi using bootcamp through Vista?

I'm waiting on the mac pro update and plan on getting vista even with all its problems.

marvindamus

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
Ffxi

I just convert to MAc and really miss my FFXI....I would love to play it again....is it possible on MAC? is the FFXI for mac? anyone playing FFXI on Mac now?

RoninXI

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2006
Vermilion, Ohio
Yes it runs on a mac just not in OSX

I just convert to MAc and really miss my FFXI....I would love to play it again....is it possible on MAC? is the FFXI for mac? anyone playing FFXI on Mac now?
I play on my MacPro using Bootcamp I have the base system with the nVidia 7300 it runs just fine(as just fine as ffxi runs on an nVidia any way) I love the game and want to run it in my mac so I am an advocate for Crossover and test it on Crossover, Parallels and VMware Fusion.

**Bootcamp: Bootcamp runs the exactly same as a regular PC an comes with the drivers for windows xp so it runs at the regedit'd resolution and 3 mip mapping without any issues.

*VMware Fusion: Runs, kinda... it is ok when you are like me and will use it for leaving your bazaar up in the Rolanberry fields flea market(if you play the game you know what i am talking about) entire characters, pieces of gear and or body parts are usually missing and mobs/npcs some times will not load but I was able to kill a mob in game, I just wanted to see if I could. Often special effects will load but not the character (think avatar glow)

*Crossover: it installs but when you launch it pops a white box and it disappears 1-3sec later.

*Parallels: I never got it to sucessfully run in any way but it could happen. I need a vpc for work and went with VMware so I only test this with the trial versions so not very often.

passerby

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
parallels

the issue most are having with ffxi on parrallels is due to the fact that it does not run directx or openGL whatsoever, if you are someone like me who was planning on using it for gaming, we must move on to bigger and better things.... leopard, and boot camp :)

scarik

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
I can't get Parallels or Boot Camp to run FFXI without crashing.

I have a brand new imac with an ATI Mobility HD 2400 XT.

Think swapping my card would help?

scarik

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
Running XP unfortunately.

And the game works perfectly well, better than my PC, on my girlffriend's 17" early 2007 imac.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
i run it on my new imac and it runs very well. i'm hoping for the day that i can run it in fusion. it runs but the graphics are terrible and it's pretty much unusable.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
Any more progress by anyone getting FFXI to run without Bootcamp. I did read that someone got it to run through Parallels 3.0 using windower such that it was playable, but was curious to know if anyone else has had such good luck. I am not sure what their settings were, either.

I guess "playable" is also interpretable!

I currently play it on iMac via bootcamp, but would love the option to keep the Mac OS X running while playing.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
well i tried it out with the latest release of vm ware's fusion today. it runs EXTREMELY SLOW there weren't graphical glitches that i could see. almost looks like my character is made out of sprites instead of polygons. but it runs so slow it is still unplayable. i'm on a 2.4 alum imac with a 256mb graphics card. 1gb ram dedicated to windows. i don't think making the ram size larger will make much of a difference.

MrBridge

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Keyboard Help

I've just put Final Fantasy XI on my macbook pro using vista, and I can't figure out the keyboard. I checked the online manuals and such and they say the movement is mapped to the num-pad, which i obviously don't have on my mbp, I also can't figure out how to access the main menu to try and remap controls as that seems to be opened using the num-pad also.
What have other people done with controls on laptops, or am I missing something ridiculously obvious?

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
I've just put Final Fantasy XI on my macbook pro using vista, and I can't figure out the keyboard. I checked the online manuals and such and they say the movement is mapped to the num-pad, which i obviously don't have on my mbp, I also can't figure out how to access the main menu to try and remap controls as that seems to be opened using the num-pad also.
What have other people done with controls on laptops, or am I missing something ridiculously obvious?

To fix this issue go to the "config" area within the FFXI game itself. It is part of the menu structure on the right of the screen that comes up when you hit the "-" key. Choose compact keyboard. Personally i use compact even when I am on a full keyboard.

Good luck

MrBridge

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
To fix this issue go to the "config" area within the FFXI game itself. It is part of the menu structure on the right of the screen that comes up when you hit the "-" key. Choose compact keyboard. Personally i use compact even when I am on a full keyboard.

Good luck

I tried this, and when I hit the "-" key (being the one next to the 0) it just says to say -. Any other suggestions?

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
I tried this, and when I hit the "-" key (being the one next to the 0) it just says to say -. Any other suggestions?

Make sure not to do it when you are in the text box. Push escape before you hit -. Just make sure to open the menus on the right side, however you choose to do it. Off the top of my head, I only I know by hitting the - key, but I am sure there are multiple ways.

phoenix78j

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Has anyone had any progress getting VMWare Fusion to work better with FFXI? I have a windows partition on Bootcamp, but I would love if I could just run a virtual machine or integrate it into Leopard desktop with VMWare.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
vmware came out with their newest fusion update and now i can at least log into ffxI to check the ah or see if anyone is doing any missions or lfp. although i had to turn down some settings, the frame rate is good enough to do the things i mentioned.

i tried doing a campaign battle, but it was just too slow. so for now i'll just use it to check quick things. it is nice to be able to do this now without rebooting.

Picture%201.jpg

Picture%202.jpg

Picture%203.jpg

Picture%204.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.