Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
finally Apple has fixed the frame drops in iOS 9. Everything on iPad Air is feeling smoother. I would say it's close to 8.4.1 now, hopefully by beta 4 every little bug will be sorted out. Seems like Apple is finally getting their head out of their asses.

So they're finally getting Metal to a state where it should have been at the very beginning.

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Did they switch back to OpenGL from Metal, like they pulled back mDNSresponder after trying problematic DiscoveryD process?

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
So they're finally getting Metal to a state where it should have been at the very beginning.
I think they are starting to finally optimize Metal.
[doublepost=1452799139][/doublepost]
Did they switch back to OpenGL from Metal, like they pulled back mDNSresponder after trying problematic DiscoveryD process?
I dont think its using OpenGL again since its not 100% as smooth as 8.4.1 I think they are slowly making Metal better than OpenGL it could takes some more months though

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But weren't people saying that iOS 9 is just horrific and there was just no hope for it and it wouldn't improve (despite they it worked it that way for iOS 8 and 7 before it, and clearly working out that way for iOS 9 now)? Yeah...

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
But weren't people saying that iOS 9 is just horrific and there was just no hope for it and it wouldn't improve (despite they it worked it that way for iOS 8 and 7 before it, and clearly working out that way for iOS 9 now)? Yeah...
So you're blaming people for losing hope because three months after beta the software still feels like beta?

Btw, Apple promised performance improvements. This would mean that 9.0 should have been faster than 8.4.1, at least. Currently, iOS 9.3 is still worse than 8.4.1 in terms of performance. So there's quite a gap between how it is and how it should be.

Apple still hasn't lived up to their promises, nearly five months after the release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So you're blaming people for losing hope because three months after beta the software still feels like beta?

Btw, Apple promised performance improvements. This would mean that 9.0 should have been faster than 8.4.1, at least. Currently, iOS 9.3 is still worse than 8.4.1 in terms of performance.

Apple still hasn't lived up to their promises, nearly five months after the release.
Not quite what I was saying. People were already going off on hyperbole right from the beginning and not even in relation to things being better. There's some of that that you mention, but it's not quite what I was referring to.

Reactions: Yun0

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Not quite what I was saying. People were already going off on hyperbole right from the beginning and not even in relation to things being better. There's some of that that you mention, but it's not quite what I was referring to.
Ok but you do realize those people are still right at this moment?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Honestly it's mostly the CC that has been fixed. I still see regular frame drops on my iPhone 6.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's still worse than 8.4.1. It's not so much that they're getting Metal to be better than OpenGL; they're still catching up to OpenGL.

I would be happy with a catch up at this point. It'd show that there's at least potential there for it to be as good as they seem to believe.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yeah and it still isn't as fast as 8.4.1.Point still stands
every year..every single year:rolleyes::D

It's been 4 months and it still isn't as fast as 8.4.1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The point that it was horrific and wasn't going to get better--the actual point I was referencing--certainly doesn't stand. A different point might stand (or might not), but that's neither here nor there as that wasn't what I was referring to or addressing, as I fairly clearly pointed out multiple times.
[doublepost=1452831541][/doublepost]
Why is everyone and their mother pretending like 8.4.1 was the holy grail of iOS? Like every time a beta comes out or an update is released. "It's nowhere near 8.4.1 or its close to 8.4.1". Maybe it was just me but I remember it being quite average
It's not just you, it's a lot people.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMB and Yun0

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada

oh hi again, last i saw from u i thought u were pleased as ever with 9.3, i see thats changed huh? always does with u people..
[doublepost=1452831803][/doublepost]
The point that it was horrific and wasn't going to get better--the actual point I was referencing--certainly doesn't stand. A different pint night stand (or might not), but that's neither here nor there as that wasn't what I was referring to or addressing, as I fairly clearly pointed out multiple times.
[doublepost=1452831541][/doublepost]
It's not just you, it's a lot people.

u are one of the most logical users here

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
oh hi again, last i saw from u i thought u were pleased as ever with 9.3, i see thats changed huh? always does with u people..
[doublepost=1452831803][/doublepost]

u are one of the most logical users here
I am quite pleased with it but 8.4.1 was still smoother.

Reactions: vertsix

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
ugh...progress is progress i guess, right?..
Not really. iOS 9 shouldn't have been faster and smoother than iOS 8.4.1 from day one. Currently it's 4+ months and counting. It's (slowly) becoming better. The iPhone is the most expensive phone in the world, surely we can expect improvenet instead of decline, right? I'm happy about the progress, but I'm not satisfied until iOS 9 is actually faster and smoother than iOS 8.4.1. And yeah, iOS 8.4.1 wasn't perfect either but still better than the current offering of iOS 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.