Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I haven't noticed any changes in 9.3 animation performance to be honest (iPhone 6). I am overall pleased with the responsiveness already since 9.1, although the animation is still jittery in Spotlight when you use it for the first time after a while.

Based on some experience with other systems, I think that many of these animation issues are related to Apple's aggressive stance on memory and energy consumption. iOS uses a lot of tricks to defer loading of visual components as much as possible and I think the result of this is choppiness in some areas, because they fail to come up with a visually appealing solution. Maybe the issues are in iOS 9 precisely because they introduced new measures to reduce energy consumption, something which they also said they had done (remember the additional hour of battery life?). Otherwise I have no explanation why the Spotlight animation is choppy only the first time and not in subsequent uses; it is likely a (graphical) memory issue.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I think iOS 8.4.1 indeed was quite good on the iPhone 6, but iOS 9.3 on the iPhone 6s feels as stable as that. If not, more stable. Heck, even 9.2 was at around the same level. The problem with most people here is that they are constantly looking out for frame drops. Sorry if I'm wrong about this, but I can only see framedrops sometimes if I do that consciously. And it's not that I do this often. :p

And haven't seen crashing apps, apart from those that simply aren't developed very well, since iOS 8.4.1 to be honest. So that's another thing I'm really happy about. Hope Apple keeps improving stuff this way. :)

By the way, I'm really speaking about the regular iPhone 6(s) here, not the Plus model. I know that those do show framedrops more clearly. But at the other hand, iOS 8.4.1 wasn't much better on that one either, right?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
as i have no idea how anyone can spot frame drops with their human eyes i never noticed any issues. so its nice to have new features with 9.3 on top of it :)

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Why is everyone and their mother pretending like 8.4.1 was the holy grail of iOS? Like every time a beta comes out or an update is released. "It's nowhere near 8.4.1 or its close to 8.4.1". Maybe it was just me but I remember it being quite average
How is this difficult to grasp? Before iOS 9, iOS 8.4.1 was the fastest iOS. People want to have that performance again.

Even though 8.4.1 may have been average, it was still light years ahead of iOS 9.

When iOS 8.4.1 was the current iOS, Apple promised iOS 9 would be smoother [than iOS 8.4.1]. We are simply waiting for Apple to keep their promises.

Reactions: Ladybug

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How is this difficult to grasp? Before iOS 9, iOS 8.4.1 was the fastest iOS. People want to have that performance again.

Even though 8.4.1 may have been average, it was still light years ahead of iOS 9.

When iOS 8.4.1 was the current iOS, Apple promised iOS 9 would be smoother [than iOS 8.4.1]. We are simply waiting for Apple to keep their promises.
Isn't which operating system is better why there are pages and pages of essentially the same thing being said on all sides. While iOS 8 never killed my phone, good riddance, it was the least favorite operating system in the last few years'as Apple really had some growing pains with iOS 8.

With iOS 9 Apple did keep their "promise" if that's what you call it.

Reactions: Max(IT)

thed0g

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Why is everyone and their mother pretending like 8.4.1 was the holy grail of iOS? Like every time a beta comes out or an update is released. "It's nowhere near 8.4.1 or its close to 8.4.1". Maybe it was just me but I remember it being quite average
That was the last stable release before iOS 9 and didn't have stutter issues. Simple.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Isn't which operating system is better why there are pages and pages of essentially the same thing being said on all sides. While iOS 8 never killed my phone, good riddance, it was the least favorite operating system in the last few years'as Apple really had some growing pains with iOS 8.

With iOS 9 Apple did keep their "promise" if that's what you call it.
Wow you are the most stubborn I've seen on this site. Kind of annoying, it's like talking to a wall...

iOS 9.3 is slower than 8.4.1, while Apple promised iOS 9 to be faster. Nearly 7 months after WWDC, they still haven't fulfilled that promise.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Light years?

Before iOS 8.4.1, iOS 7.1.2 was even faster, and before that iOS 6.1.4. Whatever the latest version of iOS 9 is going to be will be the one that later this year will likely be held up as the greatest version to compare against when a brand new major version comes out. Rinse and repeat.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Because 8.4.1 was the last iOS before iOS 9 and if you compare a phone or iPad running iOS 8.x to iOS 9, iOS 8.x runs circles around 9 (performance-wise).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Wow you are the most stubborn I've seen on this site. Kind of annoying, it's like talking to a wall...

iOS 9.3 is slower than 8.4.1, while Apple promised iOS 9 to be faster. Nearly 7 months after WWDC, they still haven't fulfilled that promise.
Wow, imagine that...Pot calling the kettle black.

While I haven't yet installed 9.3 I will. I don't care if it's "slower" whatever that means as its a moving definition; but it's guaranteed to be more reliable, stable and feature packed than iOS 8.4.1.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

You know what's annoying? How this conversation will repeat this year with iOS 10 and how iOS 9 which was "slow" "sluggish" will suddenly be the "ideal" iOS before iOS 10.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Not a "Holy Grail". Just the last "decent" version before 9.

For me it wasn't the "Holy Grail" rather iOS 8.x had finally gotten to the point it had stabilized however it still had some major bugs. Then along comes iOS 9 and we traded in our old bugs and a fairly stable OS for a less stable OS and a slew of new bugs. It was an iOS 7 / iOS 8 deja vu moment. o_O
[doublepost=1452879019][/doublepost]
I think iOS 8.4.1 indeed was quite good on the iPhone 6, but iOS 9.3 on the iPhone 6s feels as stable as that. If not, more stable. Heck, even 9.2 was at around the same level. The problem with most people here is that they are constantly looking out for frame drops. Sorry if I'm wrong about this, but I can only see framedrops sometimes if I do that consciously. And it's not that I do this often. :p

And haven't seen crashing apps, apart from those that simply aren't developed very well, since iOS 8.4.1 to be honest. So that's another thing I'm really happy about. Hope Apple keeps improving stuff this way. :)

By the way, I'm really speaking about the regular iPhone 6(s) here, not the Plus model. I know that those do show framedrops more clearly. But at the other hand, iOS 8.4.1 wasn't much better on that one either, right?

Not looking for frame drops - those are annoying... mostly. I'm looking for other bug fixes. Email being the top of my list at the moment.
[doublepost=1452879128][/doublepost]
Now THAT was an OS.
I cry for the beauty that was 7.1.2
and that no one remembers
I weep for you, 7.1.2
I will never forget you. NEVER!

Beauty? Schizophrenic and never finished at best. :confused:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Wow, imagine that...Pot calling the kettle black.

While I haven't yet installed 9.3 I will. I don't care if it's "slower" whatever that means as its a moving definition; but it's guaranteed to be more reliable, stable and feature packed than iOS 8.4.1.
This discussion isn't about reliability and stability, it is about performance. Do you even try to read before you post something?
[doublepost=1452880635][/doublepost]
Light years?

Before iOS 8.4.1, iOS 7.1.2 was even faster, and before that iOS 6.1.4. Whatever the latest version of iOS 9 is going to be will be the one that later this year will likely be held up as the greatest version to compare against when a brand new major version comes out. Rinse and repeat.
How is this relevant? Apple promised us that iOS 9 would have improved performance but the reaility is that iOS 9 does not have improved performance, that sucks. How difficult is it to grasp that idea?
[doublepost=1452880763][/doublepost]
You know what's annoying? How this conversation will repeat this year with iOS 10 and how iOS 9 which was "slow" "sluggish" will suddenly be the "ideal" iOS before iOS 10.
If Apple will slow down the 6s like it slowed down the 6, then yes this conversation will repeat. And yes that is annoying. But that's Apple's fault for crippling $1000 devices after just one year...

Reactions: Ladybug and dk001

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If Apple will slow down the 6s like it slowed down the 6, then yes this conversation will repeat. And yes that is annoying. But that's Apple's fault for crippling $1000 devices after just one year...

I have a 6+ and it works fine on iOS 9.3. Of course that's not possible right considering all the whining being done here?

Reactions: nj1266 and ohio.emt

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I have a 6+ and it works fine on iOS 9.3. Of course that's not possible right considering all the whining being done here?
Wow you are just trolling now? I never said that iOS 9.3 is not working fine. I said that iOS 9.3 performs worse than iOS 8.4.1, 7 months after WWDC in which Apple promised improved performance. Apple yet has to live up to that promise.

How many times do I have to spell it out? Unbelievable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This discussion isn't about reliability and stability, it is about performance. Do you even try to read before you post something?
[doublepost=1452880635][/doublepost]How is this relevant? Apple promised us that iOS 9 would have improved performance but the reaility is that iOS 9 does not have improved performance, that sucks. How difficult is it to grasp that idea?
[doublepost=1452880763][/doublepost]If Apple will slow down the 6s like it slowed down the 6, then yes this conversation will repeat. And yes that is annoying. But that's Apple's fault for crippling $1000 devices after just one year...
It's not difficult to grasp and has been grasped long ago. But while you are focusing on the aspect of a product not living up to marketing (which is pretty much almost a given with any product or service for ages), the part that is being addressed is the comparisons of final updates of an OS to initial releases of a new versions of an OS. And somehow "light years" still doesn't apply to any of those parts.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
It's not difficult to grasp and has been grasped long ago. But while you are focusing on the aspect of a product not living up to marketing (which is pretty much almost a given with any product or service for ages), the part that is being addressed is the comparisons of final updates of an OS to initial releases of a new versions of an OS. And somehow "light years" still doesn't apply to any of those parts.
So you're saying it is normal to be misled without being given the option to 'return' the product? LOL. That is not normal. Get your head out of the sand.

If I buy a tv which does not perform as advertised, I simply return it. The retailer is obliged by law to give me a refund.

With Apple, you're not even being given the option not to upgrade, let alone return it. They're simply saying: were ruining your device year by year and there's nothing you can do to stop it, even though we said we would not ruin it. And you say that's normal. Once again: LOL.

Crazy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So you're saying it is normal to be misled without being given the option to 'return' the product? LOL. That is not normal. Get your head out of the sand.

If I buy a tv which does not perform as advertised, I simply return it. The retailer is obliged by law to give me a refund.

With Apple, you're not even being given the option not to upgrade. They're simply saying: were ruining your device year by year and there's nothing you can do to stop it, even though we said we would not ruin it. And you say that's normal. Once again: LOL.

Crazy.
Ruining...Light years...Funny how that gets involved with a simple comparison of earlier releases of a new version of an OS simply not being as fast (and that's just in the eyes of some too) as the last release of the previous version of that OS. We are sticking to the unnecessary hyperbolized and exaggerated extremes and absolutes. No room for discussion unfortunately with those involved.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Ruining. Light years. We are sticking to the unnecessary hyperbolized and exaggerated extremes and absolutes. No room for discussion unfortunately with those involved.
That makes no sense, because the premise of my argument is based on logics and not the extent to which those logics apply.

Reactions: dk001

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Wow you are just trolling now? I never said that iOS 9.3 is not working fine. I said that iOS 9.3 performs worse than iOS 8.4.1, 7 months after WWDC in which Apple promised improved performance. Apple yet has to live up to that promise.

How many times do I have to spell it out? Unbelievable.

Let's put it this way. I can't tell the different between 8.4.1 and 9.3 on my 6+. Is that clear enough?

This forum has become so Toxic and anti-iOS that new users are asking if they should upgrade their brand new 6S phones to 9.x based on the nonsense that they read here posted by a few people that have nothing better to do with their lives than to look for something to complain about.

Of course Mods won't do anything about it because it doesn't violate any terms of use.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Ruining...Light years...Funny how that gets involved with a simple comparison of earlier releases of a new version of an OS simply not being as fast (and that's just in the eyes of some too) as the last release of the previous version of that OS. We are sticking to the unnecessary hyperbolized and exaggerated extremes and absolutes. No room for discussion unfortunately with those involved.
8.4.1 was PERFECT.It was smooth EVERYWHERE.The sad fact is that we are getting happy over 9.3 release when we are given something we were already given 6 months ago in the form of 8.4.1 except its a more diluted version.I would point out performance as a feature if it actually improved things rather than intentinally dumbing down performance and then optimising it with the end result being a big fat ZERO
[doublepost=1452882793][/doublepost]
Let's put it this way. I can't tell the different between 8.4.1 and 9.3 on my 6+. Is that clear enough?

This forum has become so Toxic and anti-iOS that new users are asking if they should upgrade their brand new 6S phones to 9.x based on the nonsense that they read here posted by a few people that have nothing better to do with their lives than to look for something to complain about.

Of course Mods won't do anything about it because it doesn't violate any terms of use.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

Isn't it amazing that not everyone shares the same opinion that you have? Not everyone believes Apple can do no wrong.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
8.4.1 was PERFECT.It was smooth EVERYWHERE.The sad fact is that we are getting happy over 9.3 release when we are given something we were already given 6 months ago in the form of 8.4.1 except its a more diluted version.I would point out performance as a feature if it actually improved things rather than intentinally dumbing down performance and then optimising it with the end result being a big fat ZERO
[doublepost=1452882793][/doublepost]
Perfect? That's almost funny. Just as much as iPhone 7 rumors are something factual. (And still continues to conveniently ignore most of what I've been talking about and what was brought up earlier in the thread, simply deflecting onto something else.)
[doublepost=1452883575][/doublepost]
Isn't it amazing that not everyone shares the same opinion that you have? Not everyone believes Apple can do no wrong.
Just as not everyone (by far) experiences any bothersome issues, let alone ones that are "horrific" or make their devices "unusable" or "ruined" or anything even close to that.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.