Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Hockaday.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Or a Mac Pro, but Macs aren't really built for gaming.

Well I need high graphic capable machines for 3d design / gaming so I've decided to sell my iMac and build a tier 6/7 machine and run linux as my osx replacement.

I'll come back to Mac Pro when I have more cash probably...if they can't be built to handle tasking software they're useless to me =( So I'll have to attempt to build a hackintosh or something later.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
You keep missing the point!

Sorry if I don't express myself clearly - please tell me where in my post above you miss my point, because I can't seem to see where in my post I proclaim the MBP is a good gaming machine ??

No, I totally get it. New Sandy MBPs are very fast, great all around. Not good for gaming.

And perhaps you dont remember -- but this whole thread got started because the OP wanted better FPS in a couple of 7 year old games. So the MBP is out.

Not sure what the OP is really wanting/doing -- I cant imagine basing a $2000+ computer purchase based solely on the performance of a couple old games. :eek:

But to each his own. :D

The Hockaday.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
No, I totally get it. New Sandy MBPs are very fast, great all around. Not good for gaming.

And perhaps you dont remember -- but this whole thread got started because the OP wanted better FPS in a couple of 7 year old games. So the MBP is out.

Not sure what the OP is really wanting/doing -- I cant imagine basing a $2000+ computer purchase based solely on the performance of a couple old games. :eek:

But to each his own. :D

Rift just game out a couple of months ago...not sure what you're on about a couple of 7 year old games. Yes EQ2 is old...which is more of a reason to be worried about any NEW more tasking games.

Now I'm assuming Rift is coded properly etc. I can only run that on the low settings and even that gets choppy.

I've also noticed that Sketchup can get very choppy with some " intensive " models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.