Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo's newly released game Fire Emblem Heroes earned an estimated $2.9 million in worldwide gross revenue during its first 24 hours of availability, according to data shared by app analytics firm Sensor Tower.

Since being released yesterday morning for iOS and Android devices, Fire Emblem Heroes has been downloaded more than two million times from the iOS App Store and the Google Play store. Download numbers may have been affected by a late release in the United States - the game didn't become available on iOS devices until the afternoon.

At $2.9 million in gross revenue, Fire Emblem Heroes is not quite the hit that Pokémon GO and Super Mario Run were. Pokémon Go earned an estimated $10.2 million during its first 24 hours of availability, while Super Mario Run brought in $8.4 million.

fireemblemheroesrevenue-800x566.jpg

It was also not downloaded quite as many times, likely due to the fact that the Fire Emblem series isn't as well known as the Mario or Pokémon franchises nor was it as heavily promoted. Pokémon GO was downloaded an estimated 4.2 million times on day one, while Super Mario Run, was downloaded an estimated 6 million times.

fireemblemheroesdownloads-800x566.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Fire Emblem Heroes has proven to be most popular in Japan, with the United States coming in second.

Bringing classic titles to iOS devices has thus far proven to be a successful venture for Nintendo. Super Mario Run set an App Store record with 40 million downloads in just four days. Since its December release, Super Mario Run has brought in more than $53 million in revenue with more than 78 million downloads.

Nintendo plans to continue releasing a steady stream of iOS games, with popular series Animal Crossing said to be one of the next games on the horizon. Nintendo originally said Animal Crossing would be released by March, but recently delayed the title until the following financial year, which runs from April 2017 to March 2018.

Fire Emblem Heroes can be downloaded from the App Store for free. It doesn't cost anything up front, but Nintendo makes money on the game through in-app purchases for speeding up gameplay. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nintendo's 'Fire Emblem Heroes' Game Earned an Estimated $2.9 Million During First Day

555gallardo

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2016
Slovakia
I don't think I ever saw an App Store developer that launched 3 different games and all of them received such a big response. Maybe Rockstar?

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Damn, another failure for Nintendo.
Hopefully once the Switch flops just like the WiiU it replaced then maybe Nintendo will finally take the hardware in their consoles seriously, stop milking their customers and listen to what their customers want instead of putting out unknown properties like Fire Emblems...

Reactions: opeter and tonyr6

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Hopefully once the Switch flops just like the WiiU it replaced then maybe Nintendo will finally take the hardware in their consoles seriously, stop milking their customers and listen to what their customers want instead of putting out unknown properties like Fire Emblems...

Comparing it to Fire Emblem: Awakening, one of the most popular Fire Emblem games on the 3DS, that sold 2.09m in its entire lifetime, according to VGChartz, I'd say by Nintendo's previous standards, 2.9m on the first day is a HUGE success (especially considering it's f2p) for what has been widely regarded as a niche series on Nintendo's own platforms. This type of game feels right at home on mobile as well - much more than Super Mario Run did.

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
Nintendo needs to ditch hardware and go software only to succeed. I can't wait until there switch fails then they might wake up and stay with software.

i feel the same about apple...

or is it i just want apple to make hardware that runs android and windows...

the point is, i disagree with your point. Nintendo is one of the strongest game publishers on the planet. They are up there with EA and Activation in number of games published every year. Nintendo is great for the video game industry, because they drive innovation. Sony and MS and PC games don't.

If you want to play Nintendo games, get a 3DS. Otherwise, like Apple, go play with whatever else is around.

But don't wish they fail. If Nintendo fails, it will cause the whole industry to stagnate for a generation.

Just like the fact we are still using Windows 95, just with prettier graphics.

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
i feel the same about apple...

or is it i just want apple to make hardware that runs android and windows...

the point is, i disagree with your point. Nintendo is one of the strongest game publishers on the planet. They are up there with EA and Activation in number of games published every year. Nintendo is great for the video game industry, because they drive innovation. Sony and MS and PC games don't.

If you want to play Nintendo games, get a 3DS. Otherwise, like Apple, go play with whatever else is around.

But don't wish they fail. If Nintendo fails, it will cause the whole industry to stagnate for a generation.

Just like the fact we are still using Windows 95, just with prettier graphics.
What a GREAT comment!

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and spinnyd

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
No idea why anyone would waste their time with this water down nonsense when ZeroDawn and Breath of the Wild are just around the corner. This all looks like the garbage we had in the 90s

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
People complaining about Nintendo's hardware are the same people who complain about Apple's hardware, or they don't see the irony that Nintendo is the Apple of the videogame industry. They have the heart of a toy company, and will always innovate through experiences, rather than pure specs and numbers.

Now imagine if Nintendo released some of their retro on the App Store.... like Pokémon red/yellow, or Mario 64. Id open my wallet for that....

Touch screen controls with a platformer? Sounds like a nightmare.

FE series is one of their highest selling games in Japan.

Last edited:

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I wished Pokemon Go was a failure so Nintendo would stop releasing garbage games. They are now getting a little cocky because of PGo's success.

Reactions: samden and tonyr6

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
Are we all supposed to be happy for these people who have thought up these games like clash royale and the like to squeeze and rip people off to the bitter end? that Apple condones and encourages, over the moon delighted for them!

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
It's a horrible gacha game. If you have the time and money to play this crap, just buy a 3DS and enjoy the incredible gaming library a real console has to offer.

Reactions: Speedy Dingo

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Nintendo needs to ditch hardware and go software only to succeed. I can't wait until there switch fails then they might wake up and stay with software.

Nintendo always has and always will be in the hardware and software business imho. How do you feel about the throngs of people that say Apple should license OSX? Nintendo, like Apple, understands that controlling all aspects of the user's experience is their strength. You can't play a 3DS game on an iPhone with the same hardware, user interface, and experience. There's no need to hate.

I just don't understand why anyone be so salty that they would want the company's hardware to fail. Two of the last three hardware ventures for Nintendo sold unbelievably well (3DS, Wii). They need a good run with the switch after the Wii-U and judging by pre-order sales and public opinion it looks like it's off to a good start. There is no reason they can't do both mobile games and games for their own hardware.

"Fire Emblem Heroes" ?
Did something get lost in translation? That's a terrible name. Rename it and sell the heck out of it.

Fire Emblem is a tactical strategy game that has been around since 1990 when most of the forum members here were probably in their diapers. This is not an unknown IP for anyone that knows anything about gaming. It's also selling really well after 1 day.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
There's so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin
There is nothing wrong. Imaging playing Zelda and Mario in 4K even if it is checkerboard on the PS4 Pro and XBOne Scorpio rather than the Nintendo Switch crappy 900p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.