Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There is nothing wrong. Imaging playing Zelda and Mario in 4K even if it is checkerboard on the PS4 Pro and XBOne Scorpio rather than the Nintendo Switch crappy 900p.
People play Nintendo games because they are fun, not because they are graphically impressive. The Wii U failed because of marketing, price for the value offered, and lack of third party support. Launch titles are weak for the Switch, but it's a better deal, the graphics are better than last gen (unlike the Wii U, I'll say graphics matter but not as much), and third party support looks to be coming with more on board and stronger preorders.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I used to dream that my iPhone can one day be my portable Nintendo Console, and now that it has happened, I am disgusted by the reality. Mario Run, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon Go are severely limited shallow versions of their console counterparts. The only way to succeed in mobile is to use IAP and I hate it. Plus, smartphone batteries are horrible as they are, so most of the time playing games on them are not really an option for me. Apple TV isn't the gaming console I thought it might end up being either.

For years I've thought Apple should buy Nintendo, now I am glad it hasn't happened. Nintendo games has soul and it genuinely feels like the people who make them, do so with love and care. Apple's soul died with Steve Jobs, now they are just a big corporation like any other, while Nintendo's soul is forever immortalized in characters such as Link, Mario, Pikachu, Luigi, Bowser, etc...

Therefore, I'm even more confident with my preorder of the Nintendo Switch. I even bought one an extra as a gift. I sincerely hope that it becomes the most successful console ever. I'm not saying this to hate on Playstation or Xbox, but most of their games feel like graphical showcases, or movies that you play through. Need for Speed just isn't Mario Kart, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Junior117

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
People play Nintendo games because they are fun, not because they are graphically impressive. The Wii U failed because of marketing, price for the value offered, and lack of third party support. Launch titles are weak for the Switch, but it's a better deal, the graphics are better than last gen (unlike the Wii U, I'll say graphics matter but not as much), and third party support looks to be coming with more on board and stronger preorders.
I am hoping third party support stays strong. IIRC we had a long list of third party developers for the wii u as well. The reality is many developers don't want to develop for a single console. So if it's not easy to code for various consoles they don't go for it.

I can't say I am jazzed for anything announced within the first year, sadl. Maybe mario, and battle mode for Mario Kart, though I feel like I am getting fleeced paying for virtually the same game twice. I am not really counting Zelda since we all know that was pushed and pushed and pushed to a later date to be a "launch title"; let's be honest and call it a Wii U game.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
I'd say by Nintendo's previous standards, 2.9m on the first day is a HUGE success
It's an iOS game and so the "previous standards" it has to be compared to is their other iOS offerings and in that respect it failed.

FE series is one of their highest selling games in Japan.
I know and the article mentions how well it's doing in Japan.
Yet that's the problem, it's only having success in Japan...

This is not an unknown IP for anyone that knows anything about gaming. It's also selling really well after 1 day.
The numbers show otherwise.

Clearly you're from the current call of duty generation that knows nothing about anything else in games. Fire Emblem debuted in 1990.
Wrong, I'm in my late 20s and grew up on the SNES, yet I don't know of FE and nobody I know ever speaks of it.
As for the innovations from Nintendo, I already know but it doesn't matter how innovative they were 25-30 years ago, what matters is today, and when your next console can't even run todays AAA games and you brag about running Skyrim, a game from 2011, then that's a problem.
Imagine if you had to worry about the iPhone being so weak it can't run todays apps.
Oh right, you don't have to because it's the opposite, the iPhone is the most powerful phone out there!
Nintendo can put all the motion controllers they want into the Switch but if I have to play "milk the cow" on it then you've got a flop on your hands.

Reactions: tonyr6

SuperMarioKart

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
NES Classic Edition on eBay ending in 15 mins with 700 games. Good thing I didn't bid $200 for the stock one on launch day. But if you wait till next Christmas, you can get one with 30 additional games. And maybe Nintendo will launch their classic games on iOS in a couple years.

Lidar

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2015
This is what I have to keep entertained this weekend?

Step up boys.

chrismail627

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
California
I can't wait for the Switch. I think it's going to do very well.
Same! I have never pre-ordered a console until the Switch. I'm really excited for it, and it's getting a lot of good press and hype. Looks like a great piece of hardware and I've heard that it actually could outsell the Wii U's lifetime sales in the first year.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Same! I have never pre-ordered a console until the Switch. I'm really excited for it, and it's getting a lot of good press and hype. Looks like a great piece of hardware and I've heard that it actually could outsell the Wii U's lifetime sales in the first year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The hardware design is droll worthy, and they actually have some good games to start off with.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Aside from Final Fantasy VII, this gotta be the best game for iPhone!

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
The numbers show otherwise.

:rolleyes: What are you talking about? On the off-chance you aren't a troll... It was downloaded 1/3 the number of times in the first day as Mario Run and made just over 1/3 the revenue with almost zero media coverage. It was also released half-way through the day too. Mario Run was promoted all over the place, including Apple's Keynote, on talk-shows; everyone knew it was coming. You can't spin this any other way than a success.

Reactions: spinnyd

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
Wrong, I'm in my late 20s and grew up on the SNES, yet I don't know of FE and nobody I know ever speaks of it.
Get yourself a 3DS and enjoy some quality games then. You'd be amazed at how many quality games are on the system. Fire Emblem included.

As for the innovations from Nintendo, I already know but it doesn't matter how innovative they were 25-30 years ago, what matters is today, and when your next console can't even run todays AAA games and you brag about running Skyrim, a game from 2011, then that's a problem.
Nintendo isn't bragging about skyrim, but it's nice that Bethesda is though. So it's a 2011 game? And? You're making out like playing the game now makes it a terrible game. :rolleyes: You're also forgetting you can play it on the go.
Nintendo's innovations from years ago may be the norm in today's consoles, but without them innovating hardware, who knows where the industry would be at. This is what you don't seem to understand - by wishing Nintendo would stop making hardware, you're leaving the innovation of consoles to Microsoft and Sony. What are they going to do? Prettier graphics and bigger hard drives? Woot. Might as well have a gaming PC.

Imagine if you had to worry about the iPhone being so weak it can't run todays apps.Oh right, you don't have to because it's the opposite, the iPhone is the most powerful phone out there!
How's that relevant to anything? If the iPhone wasn't as powerful, l guess apple could code apps to take advantage of the hardware. That's what Nintendo and other developers do on that hardware. If you're worried about "AAA" games not being ported to Nintendo consoles, then get an xbox and a switch? That's what I usually do. I pick a console that gets the "AAA" titles and a Nintendo console for variety.

Nintendo can put all the motion controllers they want into the Switch but if I have to play "milk the cow" on it then you've got a flop on your hands.
Yes because 1 mini game in 1 title is indicative of the quality of games on the console.
You keep complaining about that mini game. I'll be exploring this immersive world in Breath of the Wild. I'm sure this will make the console flop.

200w.gif

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Except Pokémon GO is not a Nintendo game.

What do you mean? You realize it is right? They partnered with Niantic to run it on their engine. Nintendo's stock didn't miraculously triple when PGo went live.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
What do you mean? You realize it is right? They partnered with Niantic to run it on their engine. Nintendo's stock didn't miraculously triple when PGo went live.

Pokémon GO is a partnership between Niantic, GAMEFREAK, and The Pokémon Company.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Pokémon is only 1/3 owned by Nintendo. That's why after the stock went up, it also went back down. People realized Nintendo doesn't own Pokemon, they only have a 1/3 ownership of the Pokémon Company.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Chester Stone

macrumors member
May 28, 2016
Is this an Apple rumors & news site, or a nintendo fansite? Stop cluttering the news channel with nintendo fangirlism, julipuli! We don't come to Macrumors to worship nintendo games. If you're going to give an app free pub, at least choose apps that are hidden gems, that our readership -- who are NOT nintendo fanboys -- may know less about. Fangirlism at its worst!

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Pokémon is only 1/3 owned by Nintendo. That's why after the stock went up, it also went back down. People realized Nintendo doesn't own Pokemon, they only have a 1/3 ownership of the Pokémon Company.
Exactly what I was trying to say.

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
I'd be more interested in the stats of games from previously unknown developers. All this tells me is that a lot of people see the Nintendo name and buy it for that reason alone.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Nintendo needs to ditch hardware and go software only to succeed. I can't wait until there switch fails then they might wake up and stay with software.

Not gonna happen. Switch won't fail. And Nintendo first party games all sell in the millions. Most true gamers "myself included" will always have the latest Nintendo system as a companion system because Nintendo 1st party games are always insanely good.

Reactions: SamIchi

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009

I'm confused. So owning 1/3 is considered no ownership? I even said they partnered with Niantic. And to be fair, their stock is still much higher than it was before PGo was released. It went down most likely due to Mario Run.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm confused. So owning 1/3 is considered no ownership? I even said they partnered with Niantic. And to be fair, their stock is still much higher than it was before PGo was released. It went down most likely due to Mario Run.

Except Nintendo didn't do crap. The Pokemon Company teamed up with Niantec. And I misstated. They own 0% of the Pokémon franchise. They have a 1/3 control over the company that does own Pokémon, but that's a far cry from Pokémon games being Nintendo games.

They're not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.