Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Nintendo needs to ditch hardware and go software only to succeed. I can't wait until there switch fails then they might wake up and stay with software.

Hahaha no
[doublepost=1486184020][/doublepost]The "I hope Nintendo fail" comments neves seizes to amaze me. People have been saying Nintendo was over for decades now and they always seem to make a comeback. Just look at this "amazing" prediction.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 7,167

SuperMarioKart

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
I unlocked everything in Mario Run and wasted tens of hours in Toad Rally except I didn't complete the black pipe level yet(not enough motivation). I just got all the Golden Goomba stamp cards(a bit pointless but interesting). I'm glad they're pushing through small updates. I can't wait till the sequel comes out, but I'm considering buying Super Mario 3D Land now.

I played Fire Emblem on GameCube a few years ago. I had a good time with it. I'm not a gamer at all(I play like one game every couple years). I'm also the world record holder in Pokemon Pinball(I played it a solid year and then gave up one day when I couldn't find the proper video recording setup to keep going on my saved game). I was anxiously awaiting Fire Emblem this last month nonetheless. Aside from the pointless story-building(some people truly like this element), I find the combat system too easy initially. You don't have to think about which characters to move until you get to the later chapters. I feel like since this is a f2p game, there are too many elements and multiple paths to take where it can become overwhelming for the casual gamer. I'm sure fans of the series will eat it up and spend loads of cash though. I now want to restart my Advance Wars GBA game since I feel that game is more straight forward from the get-go.

I'll look forward to the next Nintendo installment that is a one-time purchase even though investors hate this. I'm sure Mario Run will be cut down to $5 eventually. Looking at the app developer SuperCell(Clash of Clans), which recently sold again for $10 billion, it's refreshing that a company didn't follow the money. For now, I'll download Rayman Adventures to see if it captures my interest.

aside: I bought a 500-in-1 NES cart on eBay for $30, which includes numerous classics(nothing that uses a save battery and a lot of obscure arcade titles). You should give that a try. They also are selling 300-in-1 NES Classic mods for about $300. It's basically what the Wii virtual store modding scene was.
No idea why anyone would waste their time with this water down nonsense when ZeroDawn and Breath of the Wild are just around the corner. This all looks like the garbage we had in the 90s

Reactions: Junior117

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
i feel the same about apple...

or is it i just want apple to make hardware that runs android and windows...

the point is, i disagree with your point. Nintendo is one of the strongest game publishers on the planet. They are up there with EA and Activation in number of games published every year. Nintendo is great for the video game industry, because they drive innovation. Sony and MS and PC games don't.

If you want to play Nintendo games, get a 3DS. Otherwise, like Apple, go play with whatever else is around.

But don't wish they fail. If Nintendo fails, it will cause the whole industry to stagnate for a generation.

Just like the fact we are still using Windows 95, just with prettier graphics.

Nintendo's strength is it's games , not hardware. They can continue to innovate the games.

If you are saying windows 10 is just windows 95, same applies for OS X .

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Nintendo's strength is it's games , not hardware.

But hardware is also very much is a strength of Nintendo... in the sense of their creativity and willingness to take risks (sometimes it pays off, sometimes not so much). They aren't about just taking the most advanced hardware and slapping it into a box and calling it a system like other vendors do.

Their hardware is innovative, look at how the Wii turned the industry on its head. 3D without the need for glasses or peripherals (3DS). Their controller design... look at the N64 and Gamecube. Look at the upcoming switch controls. There have been missteps along the way of course (Wii-U, Virtual Boy), but I guess it comes with taking risks.

The hardware is also robust. Even back to the days of the gameboy and NES you can still play these machines today. There are stories of people who dropped their system, lost their gameboy one winter out in the snow, and they still function come spring time.

I argue that the industry needs Nintendo, and not just as a game developer. They do have some of the best game IP out there; but, anyone that counts them out of the hardware race should be wary.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
But hardware is also very much is a strength of Nintendo... in the sense of their creativity and willingness to take risks (sometimes it pays off, sometimes not so much). They aren't about just taking the most advanced hardware and slapping it into a box and calling it a system like other vendors do.

Their hardware is innovative, look at how the Wii turned the industry on its head. 3D without the need for glasses or peripherals (3DS). Their controller design... look at the N64 and Gamecube. Look at the upcoming switch controls. There have been missteps along the way of course (Wii-U, Virtual Boy), but I guess it comes with taking risks.

The hardware is also robust. Even back to the days of the gameboy and NES you can still play these machines today. There are stories of people who dropped their system, lost their gameboy one winter out in the snow, and they still function come spring time.

I argue that the industry needs Nintendo, and not just as a game developer. They do have some of the best game IP out there; but, anyone that counts them out of the hardware race should be wary.

Great response, You are right. Nintendo is a cornerstone of the gaming industry, and I have to admit I've owned mostly of the hardware you mentioned in your post.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
It's the same as every other f2p gacha game released in the last 5 years. It is polished I'll give it that but otherwise is a garbage game. I wish the mobile economy supported games like Super Mario Run with a 1 time payment instead of this skinner box, slot machine crap.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Fire Emblem is a tactical strategy game that has been around since 1990 when most of the forum members here were probably in their diapers. This is not an unknown IP for anyone that knows anything about gaming.

Well that explains it. I was finished playing games by '89.
It's still a clumsy name.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
I installed it this morning. Looks quite fun in a Vandal Hearts kind of way if you are old enough to remember that on the Playstation One. For a free game you cannot complain.

Best game for me is the Walking Dead game by Scopely. The game is designed to completely rinse you of money but it works for free players like me!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now imagine if Nintendo released some of their retro on the App Store.... like Pokémon red/yellow, or Mario 64. Id open my wallet for that....
You already can get those games on the go, it sounds like you'd benefit from getting a 3DS. Ability to play any DS games, plus DSi downloads, all 3DS games, selected SNES, NES, Gameboy games, ports of popular Mega Drive games, if you get a certain 3DS model you get 10 GBA games too.

I wish my iPhone 6 and iPad Pro were as good at games as my 3DS is :(

spherox

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
Crappy games like these are what's ruining the App Store. "Gaming" on a mobile platform as become a joke. The hardware inside these devices have so much more potential.. Sad, really.

Reactions: cardfan

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
The Nintendo switch has proven they don't know what they're doing. They should just make wii style remotes for Apple tv and have that as their platform.

They make far better games than hardware. While I do want the classic games it would be better to slowly re-release with updated rendering and multilayer game play etc

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Nintendo needs to ditch hardware and go software only to succeed. I can't wait until there switch fails then they might wake up and stay with software.
Do you mean like releasing games for PC/Mac or just iOS because that will be a disaster due to touch only controls

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I don't think I ever saw an App Store developer that launched 3 different games and all of them received such a big response. Maybe Rockstar?
Nintendo is completely different from Pokémon Company. Niantic is the developer of Pokémon Go. SMH!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The Nintendo switch has proven they don't know what they're doing. They should just make wii style remotes for Apple tv and have that as their platform.

They make far better games than hardware. While I do want the classic games it would be better to slowly re-release with updated rendering and multilayer game play etc
This makes no sense at all. Especially having the ATV as their platform. The ATV is an under performing streaming device. Just ask Apple's CFO. If Nintendo licensed their IP the smart play would be Sony and Microsoft. Apple TV... tee hee.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
You and every other uneducated gamer out there. "I hate Nintendo's underpowered gimmicky hardware but I'm happy to play their games on another boring console"

Damn, another failure for Nintendo.
Hopefully once the Switch flops just like the WiiU it replaced then maybe Nintendo will finally take the hardware in their consoles seriously, stop milking their customers and listen to what their customers want instead of putting out unknown properties like Fire Emblems...
Nintendo makes their hardware similar to how (old)Apple does; they try and innovate and introduce new ideas in the industry. They don't care about raw power, which is the only thing Microsoft and Sony concentrate on.
If you're wondering what Nintendo has introduced to the gaming industry, here's a quick article. http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2014/08/26/11-gaming-innovations-we-owe-to-nintendo
Clearly you're from the current call of duty generation that knows nothing about anything else in games. Fire Emblem debuted in 1990.

There is nothing wrong. Imaging playing Zelda and Mario in 4K even if it is checkerboard on the PS4 Pro and XBOne Scorpio rather than the Nintendo Switch crappy 900p.
Ah the stupid argument of the how many P's a game should run at in order for the game to be enjoyable. I guess you would never play anything on Xbox 1 or PS4 as most games run at 900p or just under 1080p on those consoles anyway. :rolleyes:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
What's odd is that I don't own any of those apps nor do most of my friends. There's a whole untapped market that developers have missed.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Mario Kart on touchscreen ? Just not right at all. Nintendo have been around a long time and are still the handheld kings at 65 million and counting. Sony and Sega tried to de-throne them but didn't win that argument :) I have a Switch on order too.

Reactions: SamIchi

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Nintendo should stop making consoles. That's the most expensive, least profitable, and least interesting thing they make.

They should swap to making platform agnostic peripherals and unique games to go with it.

So instead of going out and spending $250 on a Wii, you'd spend $50 to get a Wiimote, Nunchuck, sensor bar, and a download code for Wii Sports, for example, and it'd work with any computer, console, phone, etc.

Because the white box and disk weren't interesting - just (relatively) expensive and underpowered.

Instead of just making games for iOS and Android, Nintendo should be making hardware that connects to it so you can transform your iPhone into a suped up GBA, that comes with a real game bundled with it.

Having said that - I'll probably buy the Switch and I'll probably be happy with it. But it seems to me they could have just made the Joycons so that they connect to your phone instead of to their own proprietary tablet that they have no profit margin on.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I was once, still am, a huge Nintendo fan. They are responsible for many of my fondest gaming experiences. It's a shame for me that I've struggled to be excited by anything post-Game Cube. I tried Super Mario Run on iOS but was a bit "meh". I have no plans to buy the Switch.

Now, give me a remastered Wave Race 64 (on anything) and my wallet will open. Wide :D

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
"Fire Emblem Heroes" ?
Did something get lost in translation? That's a terrible name. Rename it and sell the heck out of it.
:D:D:D
After having worked in Japan since the 90s, and having developed a fluency in Japlish, I'd agree that the name is a bad translation. Well, maybe "bad" is a bit harsh - many terms just don't translate well from Japanese, but at least the results can be enjoyable. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
By the way! If you like this, do pick up Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS. I've played most of the games in this series and Awakening is by far my favourite.
[doublepost=1486220650][/doublepost]
I have no plans to buy the Switch.
The best thing about the Switch is that 3DS prices are probably going to tumble. If you don't have one you should probably get one, being a Nintendo fan. Very versatile and all round brilliant system that.

Reactions: Hastings101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.