Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Whenever I used FF, the whole experience was jerky and uneven. Safari was 10x smoother in animations, transitions, with a few hiccups when I play flash videos. So here are my Acid3 tests. I thought I'd run them just to see the difference. Image captures below of FF 3 and Safari 4.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 314

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Safari vs Firefox

just curious what most of you are using. I have been using firefox since the first day I got my mac. Is there any benifit to safari over firefox?
Just curious, thanks!

What do you use and why

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I really like them both but find myself using Firefox more because of the myriad of add-ins that are available and because sometimes I am on a Windows machine, and the experience there is very similar. The amount of add-ins available for FF is one of the big factors for a lot of people.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Acid3 tests do show a level of standards complience however it does not show the whole story. You are also testing a beta version against a release version.

I personally use Opera.

At the end of the day no one browser will be 100% compatilbe with every website out there and so it is down to one that is most compatible with the websites you visit and personal preference.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
I used to use firefox. Safari has come a long way. I believe it to be superior in speed. I have not come across a website that it didn't like. Unlike when Apple first introduced it. It just seems to have a more natural GUI. however I do use firefox and only firefox under winblows.:D

plinx0r

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I'm a recent switcher and have found myself using Safari 99% of the time. The only reason I installed Firefox was for the gmail notifier plug-in. To get around that I simply installed google notifier for mac and there's no need for browser plugins now.

I also feel Safari is faster but it's quite subjective. :apple:

bengal85

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
USA
I have used both and I like firefox more than safari becasue it runs quicker than safari

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I personally use safari. I have tried many others, Opera, Firefox, Camino, Chrome (at school computers), and I always come back to safari. It looks so much nicerm IMHO. I even downloaded windows Safari for use at school. I can't stand using Internet Explorer.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
just curious what most of you are using. I have been using firefox since the first day I got my mac. Is there any benifit to safari over firefox?
Just curious, thanks!

What do you use and why

Safari has a simplistic GUI. Easier to manage, because of less add ons and plugins than Firefox. Firefox has a tad bit of an advantage in security, but now that Safari has been updated, they match in terms of security.

I really like them both but find myself using Firefox more because of the myriad of add-ins that are available and because sometimes I am on a Windows machine, and the experience there is very similar. The amount of add-ins available for FF is one of the big factors for a lot of people.

true, but I think a browser is for web. not IM clients or flashy/tacky themes etc. Some of the add ons are very useful, but again, I'd rather have a faster browser.

Acid3 tests do show a level of standards complience however it does not show the whole story. You are also testing a beta version against a release version.

I personally use Opera.

At the end of the day no one browser will be 100% compatilbe with every website out there and so it is down to one that is most compatible with the websites you visit and personal preference.

Did I claim anything like that? No. I was just curious because I noticed Firefox had choppy scrolling and the whole GUI was very choppy, and not consistent in terms of speed. Sometimes the same page loaded faster/slower depending Firefox's cyber mood. And I ran the most recent builds of the Firefox beta and Safari. I didn't say either was better than the other hands down. Firefox has more customization options that attract many people, including myself.

Have you updated flash?

I have flash 10, java 6, shockwave 11, and quicktime 7.5.5 plugins all updated to the most recent version. All on Leopard 10.5.5.

I have used both and I like firefox more than safari becasue it runs quicker than safari

Umm quicker yes. but better web standard compliance, no. the acid3 test I ran 3 times on each browser to check for consistency told me that firefox was faster and choppier with sub par graphics vs. safari acing the entire test with flying colors.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I use Firefox 3.0.4 and also have Opera 9.62 and Safari 3.2. Safari is definitely faster on my 24" iMac, but I use Firefox 80% of the time, Opera 18% and Safari 2%. My biggest issue with Safari is not having a sidebar for bookmarks. My firefox might be slowed down by Adblock and SiteAdvisor and Flashblock, but it's not bad.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
England
I use Camino and Safari, Firefox has always seemed to be a CPU hog for me, but that isn't to say I dislike it otherwise.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I use Safari though I do have Firefox installed on my computer as a backup. I use it because I have Safari configured just how I like it. I don't have a reason for all the extras so there's really no need for Firefox on my computer.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
I used to use firefox all the time, and safari only for downloading youtube. I eventually (to be more mac-based) ditched firefox.

I liked how stable safari is, how fast it is, and I made peace with the menus needing to be individually clicked on (I have folders in my bookmarks toolbar, which have lists of bookmarks each with a specific class, ie: "Local", "Resources", "Sites", "Torrents", "wallpapers", "Banking")

I would (in firefox) click one, and see the list, then move the cursor over to the next folder, and it would open automatically. In Safari, I have to click each folder manually. It annoyed me at first, but it is no problem now.

The only firefox plugins I used were themes, and the youtube downloader, which never seemed to work, but safari does.

So far I use almost all apple apps except iPhoto. I never did like it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've used both extensively, and I feel both are about as good as each other. I now use safari just because it syncs bookmarks with my iphone.

mason.kramer

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2007
Watertown, MA
firefox

I use FF3. There are a few issues that stem from the fact that it's a port. Basically, cmd-? doesn't work right and it's not using the Cocoa API so you can't cmd-esc text into quicksilver. But on the other hand, you get:

1. Amazing Quicksilver integration (- the forementioned problem)
2. Plugins!! e.g.
-Adblock
-Greasemonkey
-Foxmarks
-Firebug
-Webdeveloper
3. Amazing keyboard shortcuts support
4. faster jscript execution
5. works with some non-compliant websites that don't work in safari

bwiissofly

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
I use Firefox.

I used to use Safari but now Firefox is running LAPS around Safari. No turning back!

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Umm quicker yes. but better web standard compliance, no. the acid3 test I ran 3 times on each browser to check for consistency told me that firefox was faster and choppier with sub par graphics vs. safari acing the entire test with flying colors.
CSS3 is not yet standardised, so you should not be thinking about acid3. some of the tests in acid3 were pulled and will not be in the final standard, so Mozilla are not doing them.

Safari (Webkit) runs some of the CSS3 tests in quirks mode, which is in none standard mode, it also doesn't animate, so not a true 100% score.

Mozilla's product cycle for Gecko came to an end when acid3 was produced, making them behind. Webkit's cycle came many months before, meaning they could complete their goal of getting a 100% score (but not correctly).

The DOM with Gecko is very standard compliant, unlike some parts of Webkit.

starscape5

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Flash web site does not show correctly on some compters/browsers

Recently I have made and uploaded A flash website (A small gallery). It displays perfectly on my computer but recently A friend got back to saying that the site was not displaying correctly within his browser.

Is there a way I can rectify this problem so my site shows well in all browsers?

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
I use safari. Firefox is just awkward feeling i cant really explain it besides choppy scrolling, escpecially on flash sites. But I'm ready for chrome to come out for mac. I'm on a google binge right now

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I use FF3. There are a few issues that stem from the fact that it's a port. Basically, cmd-? doesn't work right and it's not using the Cocoa API so you can't cmd-esc text into quicksilver. But on the other hand, you get:

1. Amazing Quicksilver integration (- the forementioned problem)
2. Plugins!! e.g.
-Adblock
-Greasemonkey
-Foxmarks
-Firebug
-Webdeveloper
3. Amazing keyboard shortcuts support
4. faster jscript execution
5. works with some non-compliant websites that don't work in safari

Ehh no. FF has way too many awkward keyboard shortcuts that are not integrated to the rest of the OS, whereas Safari is simple. cmd+t for tab, cmd+q for quit and so on. Safari executes JS much faster, you've seriously got to be kidding me.

I use Firefox.

I used to use Safari but now Firefox is running LAPS around Safari. No turning back!

Theres no way that FF can "run laps" around Safari with more than a few add ons working at once. Even with no add ons, I'd rather spend another few milliseconds for smoother scrolling and better web standard support.

CSS3 is not yet standardised, so you should not be thinking about acid3. some of the tests in acid3 were pulled and will not be in the final standard, so Mozilla are not doing them.

Safari (Webkit) runs some of the CSS3 tests in quirks mode, which is in none standard mode, it also doesn't animate, so not a true 100% score.

Mozilla's product cycle for Gecko came to an end when acid3 was produced, making them behind. Webkit's cycle came many months before, meaning they could complete their goal of getting a 100% score (but not correctly).

The DOM with Gecko is very standard compliant, unlike some parts of Webkit.

I did not even mention CSS. You're just being a sore loser. Safari is faster than FF. It passes the Acid3 test. And besides, FF 3 just came out a few months ago. Acid3 has been with us for longer than that. Quit using opinions as facts.

I use safari. Firefox is just awkward feeling i cant really explain it besides choppy scrolling, escpecially on flash sites. But I'm ready for chrome to come out for mac. I'm on a google binge right now

Same problems I experienced. I'm also anticipating Chrome for mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.