Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
A darned shame...

At the end of the day no one browser will be 100% compatilbe with every website out there and so it is down to one that is most compatible with the websites you visit and personal preference.

There was no reason for it except for Microsoft's business goals. It really irks me to have to switch to another browser to get a particular site or feature to work. Multiply the time lost by all the other people doing the same and you find a signficant hit on productivity.

Lets not even mention the clueless users that run into this problem . They just give up.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
As soon as I discovered how to decrease Safari's default one-second page delay, I ditched Firefox.

I wish Apple would at least put in an option to disable it. Anyway, close Safari, open Terminal, and type (or copy and paste) the following:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.25​

Relaunch Safari.

Thanks. I feel like I am running Snow Leopard now!!! :D

Aronnax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks. I feel like I am running Snow Leopard now!!! :D

As the Safari developer Dave Hyatt said:
This just goes to prove how inaccurate people’s powers of perception are when it comes to measuring the performance of browsers.
---
It always the same, the people see only what they want to see .. it is only absurd ;-)

Again .. it does for sure absolutely nothing.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I used to use Safari, then I switched to Firefox because their last big update made everything so smooth (scrolling). Now that I have 3-finger swiping for forward/backward I'm back to Safari. I do miss Firefox's better zoom in/out capability. Safari can't zoom in/out in small increments like Firefox can :(

Syndacate

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
i use firefox because safari has 3 really annoying things that will probably never be changed.

1. safari cant open links in a new tab without cmd+click
2. you have to load a window to view bookmarks vs a drop down in the menubar
3. you have to wait for the entire page to refresh for it to return you to your previous spot on the page

if they fixed those 3 things i would consider using safari but i doubt they will.

for those of you that are feeling adventurous, check out firefoxs nightly called minefield (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/). its stupid fast (tracemonkey) but i noticed it has some issues with youtube and other sites so its not really plausible for daily use.

i agree, those are the main reasons I don't use it too.

Though on the other hand, I use Linux & OS X on a daily basis, and XP/Vista like once or twice a week - so it's easier to just become friends with one browser then dealing with different keys/features for each one.

The only other problem I have with Safari is that fan boys will swear by it - even if it can't stay stable for 30 seconds without crashing. I've seen it too many times. I hate fan boys, so that's that.

Syndacate

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
I used to use Safari, then I switched to Firefox because their last big update made everything so smooth (scrolling). Now that I have 3-finger swiping for forward/backward I'm back to Safari. I do miss Firefox's better zoom in/out capability. Safari can't zoom in/out in small increments like Firefox can :(

What's the difference, if you're on a mac you can zoom in using the OS zoom which is better than both firefox's zoom and safari's zoom.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
...which is better than both firefox's zoom and safari's zoom.

You are wrong there, sir. Browser zooming keeps the zoom level constant, which means no zooming in/out once you find a good size. I don't want to have to constantly be zooming in/out using the OS zoom...that's just stupid.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
i agree, those are the main reasons I don't use it too.

Though on the other hand, I use Linux & OS X on a daily basis, and XP/Vista like once or twice a week - so it's easier to just become friends with one browser then dealing with different keys/features for each one.

The only other problem I have with Safari is that fan boys will swear by it - even if it can't stay stable for 30 seconds without crashing. I've seen it too many times. I hate fan boys, so that's that.

yea i use os x and vista and being able to use firefox on both with foxmarks makes my browsing experience pretty much identical on both machines.

Syndacate

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
You are wrong there, sir. Browser zooming keeps the zoom level constant, which means no zooming in/out once you find a good size. I don't want to have to constantly be zooming in/out using the OS zoom...that's just stupid.

*shrugs*

OS zoom works fine for me. I never use Safari nor Firefox's zoom function.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is seriously getting out of hand. FF has awkward scrolling and when I mentioned the keyboard shortcuts I was on my Windows VM. Mixed the two up by mistake. In my opinion, add ons are just a nuisance. Some of them, namely AdBlock, are actually quite handy. Others, like themes are just wastes of time. Again this is my opinion, so don't go bashing me for it.

Firefox has it's advantages and so does Safari. I use both, with the exception of having Chrome installed on my Windows VM. I don't prefer Firefox because scrolling is always choppy and just not as smooth as Safari. To me, it's blazing fast, but doesn't seem to be well tuned. Firefox is lighter, in the sense that it takes less CPU resources than Safari. But that could be I don't use it often. But on the Windows side, Firefox is much better, Safari just doesn't seem to fit in the Windows environment.

I personally favor Safari for its smooth and simple GUI. It's a web browser after all. You don't need a whole lot of plugins or add ons. For all you people there who think I'm this dumbass who doesn't know hat JavaScript is, well think again. I've been programming with C++, Java, JavaScript for nearly a year (I'm 15). I'm also a web designer. I may not be pro with this stuff, but I do know what it is and what it does. I do apologize if I seemed biased towards Safari. I'm not, I use both regularly and the reason I have both is because the disadvantages of one are the advantages of the other.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
i dont know what is wrong with your macbook but my scrolling is perfectly smooth and i dont even have smooth scrolling turned on.

tyreal

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
I use Firefox due to the Speed Dial and Web Developer add-ons, and a few others.

I like Safari for casual browsing however because of its integration with the new trackpad.

cnote678

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
Okay, so I got my MacBook about two weeks ago(and let me tell you, what we have is LOVE). I was fine with Safari but I had some problems with cookies and javascript-it says they're both enabled, but twice now, esp. recently, I tried to visit a random site(today it was a .blogger site) it stops working and says I need to enable cookies and javascript. SO, any tips? I can't stand not being able to use my 3-finger swipe...

1visitor

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
I hope not to be off-topic since the thread mentions only Safari and Firefox, but having used both and other browsers in Mac and PC, I keep asking myself why are these guys so attached to these two ?

My impression could be totally wrong, but it seems like :

- Mac-only users who never used a PC tend to feel more "at home" with Safari, which comes with the Mac's nice system.

- Users who have also have some PC experience might have been attracted to aspects that they haven't experienced with Safari, be it faster browsing or features or configuration options. Thus, a natural look to fast-developing alternatives such as Firefox.

- Having used both OSX and Windows XP, I can see aspects which justify why people choose or need one of the two systems and, as result, the browsers that are available in each case.

- In other posts I saw people mentioning Opera, which is one of the browsers that I use. There are other, such as Camino for the Mac, and a little gem called OffByOne for the PC, not to mention the upcoming Chrome.

- My conclusion is, religions aside: No browser is perfect, since people have different preferences, or needs. Do you like widgets, nice, well I don't. So you might lean towards a widget-rich application while I will move far away from it. This is just a small example.

- Let me add another one. Quite often, some sites just don't work with some browsers, and sometimes they don't work with a Mac, example online banking in some countries. In such cases you're left with Internet Explorer, the what-should-be-only-a browser-but-is-part-of-the system, which ends up being what many (if not the majority) of people use.

My conclusion is, Mac-PC religions aside: one can't always rely on a single browser.
If you only run a Mac, you could have to live up with Mac limitations, regardles of your browser choice (Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino ...).
If you also (to keep it on-topic) run Windows, you have additional choices to accomplish what you want and need to do online.
Experiences vary, but having constantly comparing the two plattforms, my virtualized XP has given me more speed and alternatives for web browsing than Leopard, regardless of the browser choice. In XP I have been able to do everything, fast, and in the way that I want, while in OSX I have to be happy with what is available and conform with not been able to to a few things.

That ,of course, until I did the latest OSX software updates which screwed things big time (yes those things do happen in a Mac, even though at a much lower rate than in PCs).

I hope this helps.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Whenever I used FF, the whole experience was jerky and uneven. Safari was 10x smoother in animations, transitions, with a few hiccups when I play flash videos. So here are my Acid3 tests. I thought I'd run them just to see the difference. Image captures below of FF 3 and Safari 4.

Just curious. I just upgraded to Safari 3.2. Where did you get Safari 4???

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I use Firefox on Windows and Mac, regardless of how hard I try to switch to Safari. I've just used Firefox for as long as I can remember caring about programs.

I transferred all my bookmarks and shortcuts to Safari a few months back, in an effort to try liking and using it, since the OS integration is nice, such as the control + command + d for dictionary stuff, and the other "right click" options, but I just get pulled back to firefox - it just seems more refined and stable I suppose.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

bengal85

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
USA
I think they are pretty comparable but I like FF just a little bit more than I do Safari (but I would use safari)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Safari 4 Public Beta still scores 100. I tried FF Beta 3 and it scored like 84 or something. It keeps jumping around the mid-80s.

other than the previously mentioned major flaw in acid3 test itself. There are several factual problem with your statement.

1. there is no FF beta 3 yet.
2. latest developing nightly of firefox has a 94/100 with acid3
3. even gecko 1.9.1 branch has acid 3 of 90/100, this is after mozilla removed several patches to ensure the product quality in other area, i have no idea where you got mid-80s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3
Fx_Acid3.png

image from: wikipedia.

Syndacate

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Ehh no. FF has way too many awkward keyboard shortcuts that are not integrated to the rest of the OS, whereas Safari is simple. cmd+t for tab, cmd+q for quit and so on. Safari executes JS much faster, you've seriously got to be kidding me.

Both "easy shortcuts that safari has" that you mentioned are exactly the same with the exact same functionality in Firefox. That's the weakest argument ever.

Also, it's pretty weak using the Acid3 tests as proof. The current public release of Safari does NOT pass the Acid3 test, you're using webkit, which does, great, but that isn't 'current safari' - comparing a mainstream to a beta (or even 2 betas for that matter) is a complete waste of time.

Also, not sure where you're getting "firefox is jerky" 'n such from. That's a personal problem for you and your computer. The rest of the world uses firefox without the jerkiness.

You say to use facts, but the only argument you have that uses any fair grounding is that "firefox is jerky" which in and of itself is an opinion which doesn't mean jack ****.

I'm not defending firefox, honestly, I just hate the way your arguments suck so badly. Yeah, WEBKIT passed the Acid3, not the curr release of safari, everything else is all opinion, and as for shortcuts, the ones you mentioned are exactly the same in firefox.

Me? I use webkit - why? It passes the Acid3, and that's pretty much all I care about, I use my own personal PHP bookmark keeper/organizer that I made, I don't use history, I don't let browsers remember my passwords, and I can't care less what "add-ons" it has. Though in linux I use firefox and have no issues with it.

My only real beef with Safari is two things:
A) If you're an apple fan boy, you will swear by it without any kind of solid or factual proof what-so-ever (though I guess that's just the nature of the beast)
B) WHY, in apple's infinite (pretty damn finite if you're not an end user) did they deem that safari/webkit doesn't need to have a "don't remember any history" option in preferences? The only way to stop it from remembering **** is to lock the damn history files while they're empty...that's pathetic.

Aside from those 2 things, the first of which I guess isn't safari's fault, I have no beef with it. Though on the flipside, I don't have a beef with firefox, either.

- Huge apple fan boys will always swear by safari, regardless of how good or bad it is.
- Huge trenders will always swear by firefox, regardless of how good or bad it is.

In terms of an actual browser, negating that webkit passes the acid3 because it's a beta, the facts are as follows:
- Both score approximately the same on the Acid3 (web compliance) test.
- Safari executes JS a bit faster, but not to the point where you're going to notice "an entirely new web experience"
- Both use and manage add-ons fine.
- Both manage their history and favorites fine.
- With the exception of outsiders (of the norm) who have bad experiences with one, they both run the same in terms of how smooth they browse.

So after all that it pretty much becomes an argument over opinion, which makes it pretty damn useless to begin with as opinions are like *******s, everybody has one, and they aren't all the same, and there's no reason to try and make them so.

Also, another interesting thing is that safari vs firefox is for OS X which is like 10% of the computer using population ONLY, if you take firefox and safari as a whole, then most common linux distributions use firefox (or some variation of the gecko base such as ice wiesel), and firefox on windows is a lot higher of a percentage used than safari for windows.

So in the end firefox has a lot larger user base in general due to it being tri-platform where safari has 2 of the 3, and 1 of which is dominated by firefox (windows) over safari (excluding IE).

This thread kinda blows, I'm kind of sorry I subscribed to it. You can't debate opinion, and that's all that is happening here. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.