Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Neither did you specify that it was from your own personal use.

Just because I disagree about certain Apple positions, dosent automatically make me an Apple hater. Some people seem to think that anything other then absolute dedication to Apple makes them an Apple hater.

This +1000.

As far as I'm concerned, we're here to discuss Apple, both the good and the bad. No one, not even Apple, is perfect.

Some of us have grown frustrated with decision-makers at Apple. This stems from disappointment in the changes that the company we love is choosing to implement.

Obviously, this will clash with the die-hard Apple apologists we are sure to find in an Apple-centric site like this one.

If disagreeing with Apple makes me a hater in their eyes, so be it.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Let's not forget the 'it doesn't affect me so everybody quit whining" posts. Humanity at its finest.

Those are my favorite. They exist in huge numbers in the tech world, especially. Mostly spending time promoting self-built PCs and slamming anyone that has a legitimate technical problem as "user error" or "you bought crap parts". But there's an Apple product variety of this type, too... typically wealthy enough to upgrade all gadgets on a "yearly or faster" schedule. Those of us who chose "luxury" Apple product and don't upgrade ASAP (because we aren't wealthy, despite the assumptions of Apple customer socioeconomic status) are deemed irrelevant when Apple does a stupid thing, or a service breaks, or bug isn't fixed.

The Internet gives us the ability to see all kinds of human behavior, and a forum for the worst to be their worst without consequence.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Wow

The issue I have is when Apple decides that product X isn't allowed to do something. This is instead of product X actually being unable to do something.

Restrictions are based on marketing reasons - not technical reasons.

----------

The reason why anyone who buys media from iTunes* that isn't DRM free is an idiot.

*Or anywhere else that sells DRM protected media "licenses"

Ok so everyone who purchases digital content is an idiot. Fine, then people like you are @@@@ who don't know anything. You do realize that in the "early" days of digital copies, it was exclusively iTunes related? I hope you know this? And excuse me for expecting companies to live up to their agreements. If I purchase something, I damn well expect to work. They don't say "RENT" or "BUY" for anything. "Buy" implies you are actually BUYING something. But I do love how scary "smart" people like you justify these sleazy business practices by saying everyone are idiots....

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Plus, nothing lasts forever,, you can't expect a car manufacture to keep making an 80's car just to keep their customers happy... They don't care..

I hate a lot of car anologies and this one fails.

if I drove an 80's car, no, I would not expect the manufacturer to keep building that same exact car 35 years later.

Just like nobody in this thread thinks that Apple should continue making the AppleTV 1.

Thats not what this is about.

However, There should be nothing that arbitrarily stops me from continueing to drive that 80's car for the rest of my life. If I want to keep it clean, maintained and in working condition, that car, should in thoery continue to run and operate.

to the Analogous Apple TV. Apple is not expected to continue to make the first Apple TV, but they should not be doing anything that outright prevents it from continuing to work.

Back to the Car analogy, That would be like, when I take my 80's car in for an oil change, the Car company removes the seats and tells me "if you want to continue driving, you have to buy a new car".

No Car company does that. there would be uproar.

Do I think in this case Apple is purposely cutting off the ability for ATV1 to be used? no. I think someone probably goofed in some update or managed change on their end, completely disregarding and not taking into account some built in limitation of the first ATV1 and it somehow broke its ability to work. Similar thing I believe they did to Facetime on iOS6 the other day.

it was an Oopsie. But it got compounded and pissed off enough people in the online community because their only solution wasn't to undo the changes and properly fix it, but to tell users "just give us more money and buy something new"

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Hahahahaha

It's old tech, move on
The new one is much better anyway

Please explain how...

The newer model has no local storage, component connectors in addition to HDMI, less image viewing abilities for sharing photos on your TV, no USB port for easy hackability if the owner so chooses, and it just feels so much nicer than a black piece of plastic.

The best part, I don't need to have my computer on to view any stored content or my entire music library. How is the iOS model "much better" when both essentially do the same job.

I love having my first generation Apple TV. It's been worth every bit that I've invested in it and this is the first time that trouble has come up with it.

So with your infinite knowledge, explain why the new $99 iOS box is "much better" when so much has been removed...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
True, but lets not forget here... Apple's doesn't really care if a customer says "ok,, i'm switching because you bricked my device."

If the nly option from Apple's view point is upgrade, then customers move to non-Apple hardware.

Apple doesn't care about those customers who want to switch away, they only care about people who want to come to Apple and are curious about them in the first place.

Plus, nothing lasts forever,, you can't expect a car manufacture to keep making an 80's car just to keep their customers happy... They don't care..

Move on. With external storage, what possibly reason could be be to keep a 1st gen other than to have an all-in-one ?

So, you have a few hard drives hanging off USB... is that a bad thing ?

I don't expect them to keep making the car, but I don't expect it to randomly stop working and me be unable to get it fixed.

hutchej

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
The issue I've been having over the last day or so is that when I've been able to sync from iTunes to my Gen 1, the video appears to stutter and lag behind the audio. The entire device seems slow. I've rebooted it several times and also factory restored it but haven't had any luck getting it to work properly again.

I love my device as I take a it with me on vacations after loading it up with content. Hopefully this is related and it isn't the hard drive going.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Problem seems partially fixed here in Australia with iTunes 9.2.1

No more error message -9821, and the store loads but css seems to be missing, as the layout is not rendered properly.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It appears the issue was fixed. I just downloaded a movie on the old one I still have. I guess "it just works" again :)

----------

Yes you did. You said it worked well for 8 years.

By your logic, I can leave work at 5.10pm each day because it's "into the 8th hour". I'm sure my boss will be fine with that...

Again, it was the 8th year I had it. I got it in 2007, still have it in 2014, so I approximated 8 years. But instead of focusing on the main point, which is I've had the Apple TV working without an issue for more than 7 years, people with too much time on their hands start an argument over a small oversight (which as I said earlier, adds nothing meaningful to the discussion).

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Oh here comes the posts of "Apple purposely did this to make people upgrade to the newest Apple TV".

So don't read the thread if you don't want to hear comments you don't like. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While I don't believe that's why this happened (it appears to be a server side issue with outsourced content providers that seems to be resolving as I stype), the PATTERN fits Apple's behavior over the past half-decade to a T. Apple never announced they were stopping support for Safari for Windows to this very day. They never said a darn thing. People were holding out hope that they would pick it up again, but they never did. Is it REALLY too much to ask for Apple to actually provide information to their customers. If they were going to stop Safari for Windows they should ANNOUNCE it, not just have an old version on their web site and then quietly remove that as well.

In short, what you're implying, that conspiracy theorists will say a certain thing is 100% unjustified based on Apple's actual behavior and history of just quietly doing away with things and not providing any kind of feedback on problems like this one.

I contacted Apple Support on this issue and I was told they don't even tell their own support crews about KNOWN issues, leaving them to spout out stupid crap about try resetting or pay for a support call when someone in Apple IS aware of it. They apparently have no chain of command to talk to techs or higher-up management personnel and so the "genius" you call is really just someone who answers the phone and tells you the say "try this" stuff found on their web site for general problems. Some geniuses. Shows like Big Bang Theory are right to make fun of them.

It amazes me Apple gets such high marks for support when they can't even make a basic announcement that says look, we're having a known issue with 1st Gen AppleTVs and are looking into the problem for a solution. THAT would have stopped it all dead in its tracks. But no, they say NOTHING, leading to endless speculation whether this is another Safari for Windows or not and then we have people like YOU on here to act the way you do, feeding the flames of the other fanatics who hate when anyone says anything anti-Apple. It does nothing to help anything.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
...and fixed.

Both mine are fine again now as well. I just wish Apple would get a better communication setup together. Their support people should be connected to their tech teams and priority information should be able to flow in both directions so that other team members are apprised of changes and issues and don't waste both their time and ours with reset/update things that have nothing to do with the problem.

I know Apple has been secretive in the past, but there's a difference between giving away your new mega-wow product and announcing when something like Safari for Windows has been officially discontinued rather than just removing links and letting people wonder WTF is going on. Apple really needs to communicate with their employees and customers a whole lot better, IMO.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It doesn't make any sense though for Apple to inconvenience the users of old Apple TV's so they'll upgrade to newer ones. The Apple TV costs $99, which means little if any profit is made on it -- the big revenue stream when it comes to the Apple TV is the purchasing of content, and if people's devices don't work they can't spend any money.

Yeah, I need to suppress the skeptic in me sometimes.:eek:

drm58

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
Mine is working now.

I first noticed the problem Sunday morning 4/20/14. I have been checking about once per day since then, and today my 1st generation Apple TV successfully connects via streaming mode to my iTunes library running on a Windows XP machine. The operations are sluggish. But I just played the first track since detecting the problem. Thanks Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.