Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
That's not really a justification for stealing dude. If you pirate stuff, just admit to it. Or go about it quietly. Don't try and justify it like it's a social injustice to not watch game of thrones day and date with the US. No one 'needs' digital content. Your not stealing bread to feed your family, your watching stories on the picture box. I'm pretty sure that's not a god given right. :/

I understand your point and I agree. I wasn't really trying to justify it - it IS still stealing - but I merely wanted to illustrate that I wasn't someone who gives absolutely nothing back. I've got the first three seasons of GoT on BD for example, and will get the fourth when it's available. As such, I have absolutely no qualms about shamelessly watching an mkv of it in the meantime as I will, ultimately, pay to watch it, albeit a year later.

Flip side, I sincerely cannot remember the last time I pirated a PC game. Steam, Good Old Games etc give me the opportunity to easily pay, and justifiably reward, the makers of content. Same goes for books.

It's a real shame TV is still such a cluster fudge, and will remain so for a good few more years until they have reality thrust upon them ala the music industry. For a couple of years there wasn't even a legal means of watching season 3 of Breaking Bad in the UK, bar importing the DVD (which I did, and later bought the barrel complete BD boxset).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How do you know this? It doesn't make sense and goes against all accepted business practices. Apple and any other company would be wise to care about any customer moving away. Each and every one of them. Why do you think they build these ecosystems anyway if they didn't care about their existing customers?

If Apple wanted them to stay why didn't they mention a fix or even a date ?

Apple isn't gonna say "How can we improve our service to keep you as a customer"

As they say "We wanna make great products." they never said anything about it "for customers"....

If people don't like something, feedback is one way, but if they choose not to do something, then that's their choice, and their choice only. I only got a free phone, because i demanded it, but had i not, Apple wouldn't care less.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

It isnt any more!

It's more then likely a temporary issue I think. I know it probably made your day but I got the feeling this particular joy will be short lived.
And Jesus, just because Apple products are the most reliable products for many people, who said they will never have issues?

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Companies love people like you.

I'll go slowly for you.......

Why would I replace high quality, working products with poorly made, poorly speced products?

The cheapest preamp I have been able to find with acceptable specifications is the Model 975 7.1 HDMI AV Surround Processor by Outlaw Audio. That will put me back $550 + shipping (direct from the factory). The prices for a quality preamp increase rapidly from this point.

I already bought a replacement for my 1st HDTV (55 inch RCA rear projection) - it died after 38 months. That was $1600 ($1200 for the TV, $300 for the extended warranty) that I might as well have simply put in a pile and lit on fire - the RCA OTOH is still working. The same summer, I had to replace 2 28" LCD monitors that didn't last 60 days beyond the warranty - another $600 wasted.

If you haven't noticed - Today, HDTVs only come with a 12 month warranty - There is a reason for that - they are crap products. TV isn't important enough for me to be replacing a $700 TV every 36 months.

If you want to waste your money like that, feel free. I have better things to spend my money on.

So you bought a bunch of crappy products and they died. I'm sorry? Who buys a RCA TV? By something name brand and not some junk that's probably been re-badged.

If you can't afford $700 every 36 months (3 years, so $20 a month), you probably shouldn't be on an Apple website. But looking at your specs of a ten year old MacPro 1,1 dinosaur stuck at Leopard, well, I already have my answer. You'll be complaining a lot more and Apple turns off support for such an ancient operating system.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
But this has been going on for more than one day so I have to figure either they are either incompetent or totally unmotivated to fix this. Why not just put it back exactly as it was while they work in a fix?

Probably because they rolled out an update that also does a database update, so their options are limited to a rollback that would also remove a bunch of purchases from peoples' libraries, or fix it by writing more code. And there's less money to be lost by writing more code than there is in a database rollback for everyone.

So you bought a bunch of crappy products and they died. I'm sorry? Who buys a RCA TV? By something name brand and not some junk that's probably been re-badged.

If you can't afford $700 every 36 months (3 years, so $20 a month), you probably shouldn't be on an Apple website. But looking at your specs of a ten year old MacPro 1,1 dinosaur stuck at Leopard, well, I already have my answer. You'll be complaining a lot more and Apple turns off support for such an ancient operating system.
Wow could you be any more rude, insulting, or just plain snobby?

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
If you idiots would just download your content from piratebay you'd have ownership and more control of your content instead of suckling from Apples teet and being at their mercy.

jonnyrosen

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
spoke to apple today

i spoke to apple joint venture today. membership does have its benefits.
the technician had no idea there was a problem and said he would get back to me.
within 10 minutes he called back and said he spoke to the apple tv folks. they are aware of the problem and working on a fix. they believed it was a problem with their server. it was not intentional.

they are working on having it fixed.

jr

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

This is kind of a crazy response. RCA does make some good things and I'm pretty sure that RCA is a name brand.

And your logic that a payment for a TV is simply based on a monthly budget could lead to the assumption that whoever buys a TV should plan on it's future failure and start budgeting based on that assumption for its replacement.

A MacPro 1,1 can also run OS X Lion (FYI) and that is still a great machine. And that poster's machine looks like it's pretty well taken care of considering the amount of RAM and the configuration of storage as well. I would like to have that machine even if it is an older machine and does not support the newest iteration of OS X.

I, until recently, had nothing but PPC Macs and was fine using those because they were able to do what I wanted them to do and are still great machines.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Probably because they rolled out an update that also does a database update, so their options are limited to a rollback that would also remove a bunch of purchases from peoples' libraries, or fix it by writing more code. And there's less money to be lost by writing more code than there is in a database rollback for everyone.

Wow could you be any more rude, insulting, or just plain snobby?
Yes he can, taken only from this thread:

Upgrade your equipment. Your stuff is old as dirt.

Apple did his on Easter on purpose to punish all you ATV1 people. It was foretold by Steve Jobs in the Bible.

Conspiracy people are nuts. These threads help me add people to my block list.

ROFLAMO. I'm so mad my Commodore 64 can't play DVDs. Arggg.

A very reliable person that fits in the "Mine works perfectly, it is a problem of yours" like hand in glove.

I hope to be blacklisted

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
the technician had no idea there was a problem and said he would get back to me.
within 10 minutes he called back and said he spoke to the apple tv folks. they are aware of the problem and working on a fix. they believed it was a problem with their server. it was not intentional.

jr

Beautiful...thanks for the update...

I kind of wish I had a first gen Apple TV. It's such a strange Apple device—running on a 1GHz Pentium M.

It's a great little machine, still the only Apple TV that plays the Extras for Movies (amazing Apple hasn't enabled that on Gen 2's and 3's).

Last edited:

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If you haven't noticed - Today, HDTVs only come with a 12 month warranty - There is a reason for that - they are crap products.

I'm not gonna argue that TVs today aren't as good quality as they used to be (the price you pay for them costing 1/10 what they used to, inflation taken into consideration,) but the 12 month warranty thing is pretty standard. The reasoning is that if your TV has a flaw that's gonna result in a spectacular failure, it will probably be in the first 12 months. Otherwise, it tends to last as long as it's intended to. Our cheapo 37" Toshiba is going on 6 years now. (But nowhere near the 18 years my family's old Trinitron got.)

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
The issue I have is when Apple decides that product X isn't allowed to do something. This is instead of product X actually being unable to do something.

Restrictions are based on marketing reasons - not technical reasons.

----------

License. Not own. Big difference/

The reason why anyone who buys media from iTunes* that isn't DRM free is an idiot.

*Or anywhere else that sells DRM protected media "licenses"

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
The issue I have is when Apple decides that product X isn't allowed to do something. This is instead of product X actually being unable to do something.

Restrictions are based on marketing reasons - not technical reasons.

----------

The reason why anyone who buys media from iTunes* that isn't DRM free is an idiot.

I can see your reasoning for the first statement as far as actual capabilities of a machine/equipment versus the desire for Apple (or any other corporation) to sell more product. I saw this with the OS X Leopard requirements being set at 867 MHZ CPUs or higher and that left many machine that technically could run it not being able to. There is also the viewpoint that an unsupported machine wouldn't run the OS as well as it was designed for and why it's not considered one of the machines supported by the new software.

However, some of the unsupported machines that do run it don’t always run it very well which usually results in a downgrade to the previous and often more stable version of the OS (Tiger). There are exceptions of course as some people will probably chime in especially with machines that were running Dual Processors clocked below that limit (such as the DP PowerMac G4s).

Basically, I can see the argument both ways.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
It's more then likely a temporary issue I think. I know it probably made your day but I got the feeling this particular joy will be short lived.
And Jesus, just because Apple products are the most reliable products for many people, who said they will never have issues?

Nope, didnt make my day, just gave me a little chuckle along with the others that liked the picture.

Most reliable? Have you got a source for that?

joshuarayer

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
I'm sorry success of some companies are reliant on consumers stupidity. Apple has been doing this kind of behavior for years. It works just fine as long as they continue to deny such a thing. One great example is the iPad Mini 1st gen supports Siri but the iPad 2 doesn't. Virtually the same hardware but for some reason the iPad 2 just can't support

iPad 2 came out in March 2011 and the iPad Mini came out in November 2012.
What a stupid comparison.

How was that a stupid comparison? It was a valid point. The iPad Mini and iPad 2 run the exact same hardware. So why does the Mini get to have Siri but iPad 2 doesn't? When they were released doesn't mean anything if you were trying to argue that the Mini was newer hardware so that was why it could run it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
License. Not own. Big difference/

This is why I only purchase true Blu-ray and DVD discs and do the ripping / conversion myself, and not purchase in iTunes Store anything DRM'ed (non-DRM'ed music is another question - I have no problems purchasing them). I won't ever get deprived of the stuff I've paid for - the physical discs will always remain mine.

----------

Exactly. And physical discs are sometimes MUCH cheaper than Apple's offering - particularly large series. The entire Monty Python's Flying Circus 16-disc set for $38; the entire Fawlty Towers series for $24; the entire 7+7+6 disc Star Trek TOS for $64, the entire 18-dics Allo Allo series for around $100 - how does that sound? (Amazon prices I've paid IRL; some of these titles were used.) Yes, MUCH cheaper than with Apple. And it's DRM-less, has tons of extras and noone will be able to deprive you of your rights / capabilities to play them.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Most reliable? Have you got a source for that?

Source? You kidding right? I been using Apple products along with so many non Apple products for over a decade! Still using many non Apple products, including Samsung ones. So have many people I know who share same opinion. Pay attention to comments, I never said for everyone on the planet. Seriously, I can't talk on the name of Apple haters you know. They will never admit anyway.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
If you get angry about devices becoming obsolete, than the company you should be avoiding most is Apple. They have a long standing history of progressing to new standards and technology.

It's a damn shame that it is coming to that. To those complaining about this (and rightfully so), I feel your pain.

This very well may be an issue they'll fix soon.

Or perhaps it is time to move on to other ecosystems. Apple appears to be shortening their product lifespans, so it's either "suck it up and pay up", or "move along". There's no in between any more. Maybe there never was.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Apple has always been in the habit of giving, but not without taking away first. The more Apple stuff I use, the more it seems I have less control over my devices and content. Such is the price of the "walled garden." Increasingly, it's "Apple's way" or "the highway."

For me, the "highway" it is, especially after hearing the complaints of many here (Thanks, fellas).

I'm done with iPhone. Now it looks like iTunes can go suck it too (I've had my own issues with it). I'll be whittling it down to just the Mac OS, just because it is one of the few devices where we still have some control left (software-wise), at least for now. I'll third-party everything else. Open formats, as non-proprietary as possible.

Sad, really, that I have to forgo convenience for (personal) power.

Brady KEITH

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2013

jr
u realize this thread isn't about the issue of what's the matter; instead, it's about overall love/hate of Apple.

;)

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Source? You kidding right? I been using Apple products along with so many non Apple products for over a decade! Still using many non Apple products, including Samsung ones. So have many people I know who share same opinion. Pay attention to comments, I never said for everyone on the planet. Seriously, I can't talk on the name of Apple haters you know. They will never admit anyway.

Neither did you specify that it was from your own personal use.

Just because I disagree about certain Apple positions, dosent automatically make me an Apple hater. Some people seem to think that anything other then absolute dedication to Apple makes them an Apple hater.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Man I love my new Apple wearable! I don't care what anyone says it's an Apple product so it just works!

Attachments

• pastafarian.jpg
    pastafarian.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,105

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Any update here?

Yes, you just have to read the previous page.

But just to repeat it (clicking back can be a downer):

jr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.