Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I anxiously await mine which will be here next week, but from the reviewers you posted I would expect nothing but glowing reports given they are Apple's favorite's. This is not a slam on their reviews, but we all know they are given early access because of their positive reviews.

I do look forward to my own personal hands on experience once mine arrives since I have owned the iP4, iP4S and now iP5. I have no doubt I will be very impressed.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Sprint & Verizon...really? So other handsets can do this?

Yes they can. This was covered on (macrumors?). They have a third antenna that Apple decided to leave out.

nbrink91

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
I LOL at people who complain that the iPhone is only 4 inches and they only raised the height... then I held an android phone and couldn't reach my thumb across the 4.5 inch screen without shifting my hand. I can't wait to get mine Friday! Nice idea with the sleeping pills... hmmm!!! jk :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This is always the depressing part. These folks have been playing with an iPhone 5 for days and i'm still stuck on "Preparing for Shipment"

*sigh*

adeon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
-CNET:
"The bad: Sprint and Verizon models can't use voice and data simultaneously. The smaller connector renders current accessories unusable without an adapter. There's no NFC, and the screen size pales in comparison to jumbo Android models."

Sprint & Verizon...really? So other handsets can do this?
Smaller connector/accessories...really? Apple had to change it sometime. Also, do all iPhone 5 owners poses tons of accessories...how about first time buyers.
No NFC. Absolutely, Apple & I are not convinced this is the way to go.
Screen pales in comparison to "JUMBO ANDROID MODELS" **THIS IS A POSITIVE--IT'S A PHONE NOT A TV**

Not all phones on sprint, I believe that the Samsung Galaxy III can. Reason being is that it has a third antenna.

nostaws beat me to it!...

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
"It’s just too bad about that connector change. Doesn’t Apple worry about losing customer loyalty and sales?"

Wow what a stupid comment. Apple has changed their connector less than any other manufacturer yet they get this kind of grief over it. Pathetic.

Try reading the article. Pogue ends with this:

"Actually, Apple has a long history of killing off technologies, inconveniently and expensively, that the public had come to love — even those that Apple had originally developed and promoted. Somehow, life goes on, and Apple gets even bigger.

So if you wanted to conclude your term paper by projecting the new connector’s impact on the iPhone’s popularity, you’d be smart to write, “very little (sigh).” When you really think about it, we’ve all taken this class before."

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These reviews make the wait unbearable! We sold our old iPhones to Amazon before the announcement to lock in the price and shipped them by the cutoff date this week. Been using my 2005 Motorola Rokr E1! Talk about a crazy change! I tried activating my original June 29, 2007 iPhone 8GB but apparently Apple doesn't allow activation of them anymore? If someone knows a way around please PM me! 2.5G beats the crap put of GPRS or whatever 1G is called.

So we switched from AT&T to Verizon. It's going to be great having LTE, free hotspot and FaceTime over cellular. Oh and actual cellular coverage. I moved to Columbia, MO to become a web designer at MU and between all the college kids and I don't know what else—the coverage is terrible. Saw that Verizon has about 10 times the antennas/towers and they are currently testing LTE during football games getting 26Mbps down. They should be launching LTE soon. Can't wait! Ordered a black 64GB 5 for myself and a black 16GB 5 for my wife. Yes, I think she is the only girl in the world who hates white phones. <3

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
That CNET interview with all the pics of the white one makes me not regret ordering the white color. That thing looks sharp.

born2beacapri

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
The only negative that I am hearing is from the maps. Guess we shall expect updates sooner than later...

No!!! There is nothing negative about maps as I am using iOS 6 for last 2 months and have done lots of travel in all over east coast and was totally depend on IOS 6 maps for driving direction.

You know the beauty of maps?

Once you put your direction and hit route, you can go ahead and lock the phone, It will still give you the direction.

And while maps in guiding mode and you are using phone with other apps like safari or music or anything else, you will still see a light green small border on top and second you wanna go back to the maps just touch that light green strip on top of screen and bam!!! You are back on screen.

Pretty cool.

----------

That CNET interview with all the pics of the white one makes me not regret ordering the white color. That thing looks sharp.

Ship me the white n let you be on the line Friday morning for black. Lol

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yup, maps is awesome. It even beats my previously favorite gps app MotionX GPS Drive.

No!!! There is nothing negative about maps as I am using iOS 6 for last 2 months and have done lots of travel in all over east coast and was totally depend on IOS 6 maps for driving direction.

You know the beauty of maps?

Once you put your direction and hit route, you can go ahead and lock the phone, It will still give you the direction.

And while maps in guiding mode and you are using phone with other apps like safari or music or anything else, you will still see a light green small border on top and second you wanna go back to the maps just touch that light green strip on top of screen and bam!!! You are back on screen.

Pretty cool.

----------

Ship me the white n let you be on the line Friday morning for black. Lol

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Although a nice upgrade over my 4S, 5 seems quite predictable.

However, there was a comment in the article that the battery would last at most a day with the average user. Ummmmm, my 4S lasts at least 2 full days with me using it for a few calls and tons of email/web surfing on my WIFI.

If I bought the 5 and it only lasted 24 hours or less, I'd return it immediately.

Anyone else know more details on the battery life besides what Apple claims/promises?

We'll have to wait until more iPhone 5's are out there to see what real world battery life is like. But I'm amazed that you get two days or more on your 4S - I'm usually down to 30-40% at the end of a day, mostly on Wi-Fi, with fewer than five calls. It doesn't bother me, though, since I'm almost never in a situation where I can't charge my phone every night.

born2beacapri

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I LOL at people who complain that the iPhone is only 4 inches and they only raised the height... then I held an android phone and couldn't reach my thumb across the 4.5 inch screen without shifting my hand. I can't wait to get mine Friday! Nice idea with the sleeping pills... hmmm!!! jk :)

Boss well said. I laugh on people who knows that a big fat phone I'd just for 16 years old who wanna watch a cartoon movie on a 4.5" screen, but how in practicle it is we all know.

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Thicker on top then bottom?

Does anyone understand this?

With the metal back now sitting flush to the chamferred edge of the device, the slightly elevated glass surface gives the profile view of the phone a bit of unfortunate asymmetry -- it's now thicker on top than on the bottom.

But that elevated glass does mean your finger doesn't hit any rough edges or unfortunate surfaces when tracing the edges of the panel.

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
archimedes_35438535_44_610x436-500x357.jpg

Nice! The iPhone 4S looks miserable compared to the iPhone 5!

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
-CNET:
"The bad: Sprint and Verizon models can't use voice and data simultaneously. The smaller connector renders current accessories unusable without an adapter. There's no NFC, and the screen size pales in comparison to jumbo Android models."
Ah yes, the Rob Malda School of Disconnected-With-Reality Technology Pundit Gadget Reviewing.

"No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame." -CmdrTaco (a.k.a. Rob Malda on Slashdot), Oct 2001

The day Rob Malda posted that, the split-adjusted close of AAPL was $9.03.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Gahhh can't wait to get one! Hopefully someone that loves me buys me one for my birthday in ~3 weeks!

//And yes, there's clearly a positive correlation between how much someone loves me and how expensive of an Apple product they buy me :p

Seriously though, looks like a great product. If they'd just change up iOS 6 a tiny bit, it'd be perfect! Doesn't have to be on-screen widgets necessarily, but at least something different, ya' know?

Oh... and a projector... a hologram projector... that makes me sandwiches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.