Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
This is always the depressing part. These folks have been playing with an iPhone 5 for days and i'm still stuck on "Preparing for Shipment"

*sigh*

Go to ups.com and do a search by reference and use your phone number as the reference. If they sent it ups then it will probably show up. I managed to get my tracking information this way even though my order still says "Preparing for Shipment".

I do wish it was coming FedEx. I get deliveries from them around noon/1pm… UPS doesn't show up until nearly 8pm.. *cry*.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
So you're going to decide for the white device because of a box? Not too clever:confused:

lol, just kidding. Both devices look beautiful nuff said !

iv been trying to work out since last week which one wanted, i have been leaning more towards the white. but seeing the box has helped alot.
im just a tad bit crazy :p

Same here :D, I had decided pretty much for sure last night, but that really clinches it ... good to have made that decision with 8 days still to wait ><.
do you know when pre orders start for us? or if we will even get them?
i would love to have it for the weekend,

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
The only negative that I am hearing is from the maps. Guess we shall expect updates sooner than later...

What does this even mean?

Does the iPhone 5 have some special Maps app that isn't on other iPhones?

The *same* ****** Maps app is also on the iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, iPad 3, iPad 2, etc...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Go to ups.com and do a search by reference and use your phone number as the reference. If they sent it ups then it will probably show up. I managed to get my tracking information this way even though my order still says "Preparing for Shipment".

I do wish it was coming FedEx. I get deliveries from them around noon/1pm… UPS doesn't show up until nearly 8pm.. *cry*.

UK Buyer here and that trick didn't work for me. Mostly because our (UK buyers) phones are already on UK soil and are just sitting in a warehouse in Ireland waiting for distribution around the country.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas

The *same* ****** Maps app is also on the iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, iPad 3, iPad 2, etc...

iOS 6 which the iPhone 5 requires does NOT have Google Maps. Apple has their own maps application. So yes the iPhone 5 has a different maps app then previous iPhones.

I remember Google saying they will bring Google Maps to iOS6 as a downloadable app but that hasn't occured yet.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
there was a comment in the article that the battery would last at most a day with the average user. Ummmmm, my 4S lasts at least 2 full days with me using it for a few calls and tons of email/web surfing on my WIFI.

The battery is going to be just as good, if not better then the 4S from what I'm reading. Just about everything I've read gives the battery a thumbs up. And believe me, people are looking at battery under a microscope. The comment was a positive since it was under presumably heavy, testing usage.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
"It’s just too bad about that connector change. Doesn’t Apple worry about losing customer loyalty and sales?"

Wow what a stupid comment. Apple has changed their connector less than any other manufacturer yet they get this kind of grief over it. Pathetic.

At almost 700 dollars a share do you really think they give a dam?

Didn't Steve leave the plan for running the company for the next 10 years and it supposedly has to be followed?

Yea Come on Friday so I can see if I'm staying with AT&T's Horrible network or moving to Verizon.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
"The camera is among the best ever put into a phone. Its lowlight shots blow away the same efforts from an iPhone 4S."

Don't tell me this!

This alone might be enough for me to upgrade (I use my phone as a camera A LOT).

This doesn't make sense. The camera is the same as the 4s except for a new crystal cover. Other reviews (engadgets) state the pictures are about the same, so not sure what Walt is seeing here other than the hawthorne effect?

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009

The new maps app, since it's no longer google's solution, can't do content searches. So a search for "sushi" will only find restaurants nearby that have "sushi" in the name.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
"It’s just too bad about that connector change. Doesn’t Apple worry about losing customer loyalty and sales?"

Apple has changed their connector less than any other manufacturer yet they get this kind of grief over it. Pathetic.

Micro USB is pretty much the standard across all other devices. And before that, there weren't too many accessories that went with phones so it was never a problem. I agree apple had to change it at some point. Even looking at it now, it's looks dated, big and clunky. It's been around for 10years. But it's is going to cause a problem with people who spent big money on accessories, or cars. But I'm sure the near future will bring many, many solutions.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
itt: people who rage hysterically over other people's opinions in case they are negative or can be interpreted in a negative way.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
This doesn't make sense. The camera is the same as the 4s except for a new crystal cover. Other reviews (engadgets) state the pictures are about the same, so not sure what Walt is seeing here other than the hawthorne effect?

Not true. Low light has been vastly improved which, IMO is a huge upgrade since I'm totally happy with daytime photos.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

That's not entirely true. If you watch the Keynote again, Phil mentions they tweaked the 5 lenses and some other things. Also, it features a low-light mode (sample pics on Slash Gear look nice). I mean, I don't expect a jump in camera quality like the 4 to the 4S, but it's definitely improved.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland

It's USB3!!! :):):) THe micro USB3 is too big and bulky so lucky for us Apple redesigned it.

2009727115226223.jpg

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Why is the Lightning connector USB 2.0 and not 3.0?

More importantly, will they be able to make it 3.0 later on, or are we stuck with USB 2.0 for a decade...

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Is it just me or does the 4S, and everything prior for that matter, just look stubby now. The 5's screen just looks like as it should be. Brilliant. :apple:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

Actually, that's it. The iPad 1 still has the original maps app (and youtube app, with real airplay support) because it's stuck on iOS 5.1.

The iPhone 4 has the new maps app, but no 3D/flyover.

The biggest complaint with maps is transit directions. This must be really well-supported by Google in the US, because where I'm living in Germany, we've never had transit directions from Google maps (even though the data is available; there's a great app on Android called Öffi that uses it).

Getting transit information definitely seems to be hard, even for Google. Apple's maps team is not as large, not as mature, and not as important in the company as Google's is. They couldn't have done it well in many places in such a short time.

The AppStore-route may prove to be the best at getting data for as many places (and people) as possible. It'll encourage developers of apps like Öffi to look at iOS.

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
I have to admit I was considering some Android devices up until the reviews for this came out. The 4G and screen are the biggest upgrades to me. Probably gonna get a white one to match my iPad. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.