Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Of course they had strong preorders. It's the result of pent up demand caused by limiting the supply of new MacBook Pros for 18 + months.
False...

If these laptop weren't "outstanding," consumers have proven over the last few years they will wait for next year's model, every year. The fact that this laptop has historic preorders shows it's expected to be an amazing product.

ShadeDream

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
The SSD is definitely not upgradeable, as well as the RAM. The SSD is not overpriced, though, considering the performances!

The SSD is not currently upgradable. It's not soldered to the board so third party options could (and likely will) become available down the road should there be enough demand.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Do you really think apple will allow users to upgrade machine?

Do you really think apple SHOULD allow users to upgrade machine?

Corrected your question. Consumers have every right to do anything to their machine, as does Apple in the engineering and design. Don't like it, hackintosh or get used to windows 10 (or linux). Can't have everything in the world you want.

Reactions: R3k

matteomanfredi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2016
Italy
The SSD is not currently upgradable. It's not soldered to the board so third party options could (and likely will) become available down the road should there be enough demand.
From what you can see in the images shown during the event, the SSD on the Touch Bar models is in a different position than the non Touch Bar model already out. No one knows if it will be soldered on, but the 12" MacBook has it soldered, why shouldn't this?
[doublepost=1478811201][/doublepost]
Just wanted to know. ;) If a device is registered to your account, maybe you can already see it. As far as I remember, I was able to see my last device before shipping last time.
I think now it works differently, the Mac is registered when activated...

Jens1983

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2016
Berlin, Germany
From what you can see in the images shown during the event, the SSD on the Touch Bar models is in a different position than the non Touch Bar model already out. No one knows if it will be soldered on, but the 12" MacBook has it soldered, why shouldn't this?
[doublepost=1478811201][/doublepost]
I think now it works differently, the Mac is registered when activated...
Pity :) Hope to see mine shipping soon. I will keep u updated :)

Reactions: matteomanfredi

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Tried one of the non-Emoji bar 13" ones in-office today. It's a thing of beauty, it really is. Only the 256 model and yet the SSD speeds are ludicrous too.

View attachment 671404

Did someone say Ludicrous speed?

LudicrousSpeed.jpg

james90755

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
I would welcome a PC equivalent if I had faith in its longevity and OS. Otherwise I'm putting up with an obsolete machine

This is a good point; I had forgotten this being one main reason why I converted long ago. My three year old still looks and drives as if new. I used to wear out PCs.

I really want a new MBP 15 and can justify it, but my 2012 MBP i7 8/512 is still more the adequate. Only needs a battery...

ShadeDream

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016

I'm aware but I'm operating under the assumption it's going to be more similar to the non-touch bar model than the the previous completely different Macbook product line. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Everything is speculation until someone opens one up. I'll likely have mine next week and am more than happy to open it up and confirm but I'm sure someone else will likely beat me to it.

Reactions: matteomanfredi

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I bet come Jan/Feb 2017 there will be plenty in stock with no wait, this is just the usual new product launch and holiday season back order dates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.