Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
The SSD is not currently upgradable. It's not soldered to the board so third party options could (and likely will) become available down the road should there be enough demand.

Same principle as with the old Retina.
3rd party offers came to market and price was too close to Apple's.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
I don't think I have ever hated an Apple product as much as I do this one. The new MacBook Pro seems like a hateful joke on the consumer/customer. There are a couple steps forward in performance, but several very unnecessary steps backwards. Enjoy your new toys!

Reactions: c0ppo

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Of course they had strong preorders. It's the result of pent up demand caused by limiting the supply of new MacBook Pros for 18 + months.

Then Apple succeeded in what nobody can success...

Make the costumer await that much, and then, don't disappoint in the product released.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
The SSD is definitely not upgradeable, as well as the RAM. The SSD is not overpriced, though, considering the performances!

That is NOT what ifixit had to say!!!!!
EXACTLY the opposite actually.
It was praised for the easily replaceable SSD.
They merely said at this point, only Apple has drives that speed, so it may be a bit of a wait before you could purchase a suitable upgrade replacement drive.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Mine says Nov 16 - 23. It's not in "preparing for shipment" status though :-(

That's true for me, too. I was getting on a plane when the order page went live, but I used my phone's LTE connection and still managed to place the order within 10-15 minutes.

My ship date says Nov. 17-25, but it still says "Processing..." and I can still cancel. Hopefully it changes soon!

Reactions: matteomanfredi

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Whether I buy one will depend on the teardown confirmation regarding user upgradability. At that price i'm not paying Apple to install RAM or their expensive SSDs. I would welcome a PC equivalent if I had faith in its longevity and OS. Otherwise I'm putting up with an obsolete machine
Uh, even if the SSD is not soldered you won't find a PC equivalent because the one in the new MBP is waaaaaaay beyond what they are putting in PC laptops. As for RAM, it is likely soldered and not upgradable. For a reality check on what good components can do take a look at the comparison between the new 13" MBP and the Razer Blade Stealth.

Last edited:

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I placed my order within 20 hours of the announcement (wanted to do some research first) and am still looking at an expedited delivery date of November 24 - December 2. I am really hoping this is another case of Apple under-promising and over delivering on shipping and that I will see it sooner. November 21 or 22 would be nice.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
The SSD is definitely not upgradeable, as well as the RAM. The SSD is not overpriced, though, considering the performances!
People keep saying the Apple SSDs are overpriced but compared to what? I think they are looking at SATA SSD drives and not PCIe 3 SSD drives. A PCIe 3 2TB SSD costs more than a $2000USD on Amazon, and that's a cheap one. Wow, would you look at that! Apple is actually selling it's SSDs for LESS THAN the going rate but nobody credits them for it.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Not that I'm aware off. Have been to many stores and the answers is "we don't know when we will receive it. Order it online".

Isn't this a shame?

odd, why would I want to order something I have not had a chance to test in person? lol
Sometimes Apple retail makes it seem they don't care or want people there

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
im not sure the touch bar is worth it for me...Logic x is my thing. For everything else, I have a sneaky feeling developers wont embrace this.
but me being me i still want one...

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Yea!! I'm so excited. Maybe this edges us closer to a new iMac. Work is probably nearing completion. They're just trying to figure out how much to soak the Apple consumer for the opportunity to own one.:rolleyes::apple:

On a more serious note, I really hope the iMac is not far behind. I am sure I will find a price point that is acceptable when they are released.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
im not sure the touch bar is worth it for me...Logic x is my thing. For everything else, I have a sneaky feeling developers wont embrace this.
but me being me i still want one...
Logic X will likely support it in the first half of next year. Microsoft, Adobe are already supporting it and it hasn't even been released yet. There is no reason to believe developers will not support it because it would seem highly probable that Apple is going down this path for the long run.

You have to ask yourself if you are you buying a new computer for yesterday or tomorrow?

_manoloruiz_

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
I kindve hope that they have a stand alone touch keyboard for my iMac
I think that eventually, when the novelty of the Touch Bar wears off a little, they'll make a Magic Keyboard with a Touch Bar. But I can't even imagine what will they charge for it... I won't be paying $200 for a keyboard...

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Meanwhile, come month end, I will just be upgrading to a larger SSD on my old mid'12! ;)
Which is great, being able to upgrade the drive in a four year old computer. Mind you, that is a SATA SSD drive with read / write speeds of approximately 500MB/s. The new 15" MacBook Pro will be Reading at 3.1GB/s and Writing at 2.2GB/s: that's 6x the read speed and 4x the write speed. Pretty impressive, I'd say.

Reactions: johndoe588

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
False...

If these laptop weren't "outstanding," consumers have proven over the last few years they will wait for next year's model, every year. The fact that this laptop has historic preorders shows it's expected to be an amazing product.

No. It shows that the current machines had 2-4 year old processors and therefore many more individuals with outdated machines were in line. I'll buy one. I like the Apple OS and build quality. But, this up date is so long in coming, there are logically more people in line. That's why there are more preorders.

No one knows whether or not these are "outstanding." In fact, many say there are too many compromises being made in the name of thinness (lack of Pro level ports) and profit (taking away the extention of the charging cord and selling it as an add on for one example). Take a look at the MacBook Pro forum if you don't believe me. There are more complaints than for any other launch.

Reactions: ThaRuler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.