Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
I hope the movie is more real than what the trailer suggests.... No hollywood drama .. But real characters with real events... Rather than hollywood razel dazel bs!

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
I don't mind Mackelmore's music but a song produced in the 2000's is not really the song I would have picked for a trailer of a movie depicting events that happened in the late '70s - '80s. That kind of sours things for me. I'm really surprised Dylan or The Beatles didn't show up—that would have been more representative of Jobs. I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole movie but Kutcher is not convincing to me so far as Jobs.

This is A CORPORATION. THEIR ONLY PURPOSE IS TO MAKE MONEY, deal with it. With your logic, I guess you don't own any electronic at all.
I'm pretty sure Steve would disagree with you here. Go read Isaacson's book; there's a quote in there from Jobs where he talks about companies and how they make money. He said Apple didn't set out to make a lot of money, he just wanted to make really great products. He believed that when you do good work, the money will follow—that's not how a lot of companies operate. He said that's really a subtle difference but it has massive outcome in how your company operates depending on how the bean counters are involved.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I getting such a Deja Vu... It's like I've seen this movie already...

Movieposterposv.jpg

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
There will be fiction..

The problem is Steve Jobs story is probably one of the most well known stories in tech and commerce. People knew him. One person may have perceived him differently than others. Biopics are ALWAYS subjective for the sake of the Box office draw. I will watch it and be entertained. its seems very reminiscent of POSV but without the bill gates aspect.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
this looks dreadful.

How can you make a film about something boring like working at an office it doesn't matter that it's an apple office, it just looks retarded when you put a soundtrack with mega drums and super emotional string parts. It's like an onion network parody.

I know it's a film but it makes me hate apple somehow and i don't hate almost anything.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
this looks dreadful.

How can you make a film about something boring like working at an office it doesn't matter that it's an apple office, it just looks retarded when you put a soundtrack with mega drums and super emotional string parts. It's like an onion network parody.

I know it's a film but it makes me hate apple somehow and i don't hate almost anything.

Don't hate. Enjoy. By all reports Steve Jobs was a very intense and emotional person to work with and for. He pushed people hard and was often dismissive of their work and instead of leaving they worked harder and longer and sometimes behind his back and came back with a better idea or product. There is drama to be found in walks of life especially where personalities and ambitions clash. Thats why he was removed from his role at Apple and look at how it turned out a few years later. Drums and strings to drum up the excitement on a short which probably is designed to reflect/symbolise the intense ups and downs of SJs world.? Why not? :)

Last edited:

jake1776

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Idaho
Perhaps Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Larry Page wanted to help the world with tech but don't go pretending that the corporation itself is interested in anything else but money. If you need proof look at all of their less than attractive business practices.

Um... If Steve Jobs was only concerned with money ... why would he live in a modest house almost his entire life. For much of his life, his apartment was completely unfurnished. Sure, he had very nice things ... a very nice car, etc. However, saying that Steve Jobs was only or even primarily concerned with making money is so far off the mark that it is actually laughable. His life just doesn't bear that out.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Am I the only one absolutely not interested in this...?

No interest here in either the subject or that wet noodle ashton kutcher. I'm sure it will be great fan service for the faithful though. And that's all that counts in the end.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Can't wait to see it! From watching that trailer I think Ashton could actually pull off Steve...very well. Will be seeing it release day!

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Um... If Steve Jobs was only concerned with money ... why would he live in a modest house almost his entire life. For much of his life, his apartment was completely unfurnished. Sure, he had very nice things ... a very nice car, etc. However, saying that Steve Jobs was only or even primarily concerned with making money is so far off the mark that it is actually laughable. His life just doesn't bear that out.

Can you read? I just said the founders were concerned with the tech. Everyone who followed suit into their company and all the other execs, however, are concerned with money. A corporation in it of itself only cares about money.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Woz: We need to come up with a name.
Steve: Apple
Woz: Like Apple Music?
Steve: It's such a great a name.
Woz: Sort of unoriginal though don't you think?
Steve: Can you think of anything better?
Woz: Something with wizards or dragons perhaps?
Steve: Apple it is.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Nope. It looks unbelievably patronising.

The first line 'Steve, it takes guts to drop out like you did' is incredibly awkward and blunt.

Steve flipping out about a 'blatant rip-off' (Windows?), when of course Apple's OS was stolen from Xerox. (But then the winners get to re-write history.)

It's riddled with every cliche in the book. (Angry drive after being fired. He suddenly realises how important his kids are. It's even got a tacky Eat, Pray, Love 'finding yourself in India' bit going on.)

It looks like an awful TV movie. If people could detach their feelings about Steve from their feelings about this trailer I think they'd be laughing at how bad it is!

I expect a lot of stick for this post - but just because Steve did some amazing things doesn't mean this isn't a terrible trailer!

Ironically, the Made For TV movie 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' was really good.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Nope. It looks unbelievably patronising.

The first line 'Steve, it takes guts to drop out like you did' is incredibly awkward and blunt.

Steve flipping out about a 'blatant rip-off' (Windows?), when of course Apple's OS was stolen from Xerox. (But then the winners get to re-write history.)

It's riddled with every cliche in the book. (Angry drive after being fired. He suddenly realises how important his kids are. It's even got a tacky Eat, Pray, Love 'finding yourself in India' bit going on.)

It looks like an awful TV movie. If people could detach their feelings about Steve from their feelings about this trailer I think they'd be laughing at how bad it is!

I expect a lot of stick for this post - but just because Steve did some amazing things doesn't mean this isn't a terrible trailer!

Funny...I could have swore these were basically the events that unfolded...not completely fabricated scenarios just invented by Hollywood. Might be some fluff here and there but seems more or less accurate and based on real "events".

See Flat

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Well paced trailer, still looks like a TV flick with bad casting.

----------

[ Originally Posted by Daze & Confuse
Steve flipping out about a 'blatant rip-off' (Windows?), when of course Apple's OS was stolen from Xerox.]

I wish people would actually look up the actual history before saying this.

In the mid 1980s, Apple licensed the Alto GUI from xerox and adapted it into to a more affordable personal computer, aimed towards the business and education markets. The Apple Macintosh was released in 1984, and was the first personal computer to popularize the GUI and mouse amongst the public.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I don't mind Mackelmore's music but a song produced in the 2000's is not really the song I would have picked for a trailer of a movie depicting events that happened in the late '70s - '80s. That kind of sours things for me. I'm really surprised Dylan or The Beatles didn't show up—that would have been more representative of Jobs.

Probably picked for the combination of lyrics, beat, and the fact that Macklemore has the current ability to turn everything into gold (sarcasm, mostly).

In terms of modern songs, "Can't Hold Us" works pretty perfectly. I'm sure there would be a more era appropriate alternative that would work fairly well, minus the modern day appeal.

wannger27

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007

First, Apple paid Xerox for their OS.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by rewriting history since Microsoft won the OS battle.

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I never saw any Kutcher movies/tv shows. I thought it looked brilliant. (Except for some terrible choice of actors) The Make up artists did a good job on Steve Jobs and the voice is basically spot on. It was powerful like Steve's. The last scene made me cringe. Let's wait for the movie with his acting and how it is accurate.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
You realize that this is a trailer and that these will probably not appear in this order in the actual movie?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
To me Pirates of the Silicon Valley 2 would be better and I would think others would agree that Noah Wyle and Anthony Michael Hall did a great job with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates!

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Matthew Modine as John Scully is brilliant casting. Josh Gad as Woz, not so much.

This looks like either a bad SNL sketch. or a Christopher Guest mockumentary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.